AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kids With Torches - Carried Over Trees Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 88%

Kids With Torches - Carried Over Trees

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/21/12)
Kids With Torches Ė Carried Over Trees
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 4th, 2012

British indie-pop duo Kids With Torches is a band I came across on AP.net, and was quite interested by their RIYL, which had Wisconsin indie band Bon Iver in it. As a fan of that band, I was compelled to check Kids With Torches out. I was quite impressed with what I heard, actually.

It starts off with ďThe Beacon,Ē and ironically, Beacon is the name of the new Two Door Cinema Club record. At times, this band does remind me of them. However, the song starts off with a very slow and haunting synth riff thatís pretty interesting. It sounds really cool, and it certainly gets me pumped for whatís to come. After about a minute or so, vocals are finally heard, and theyíre just as haunting as the music. Theyíre not the best Iíve ever heard, but certainly not the worst, either. They do fit the music, though, and thatís always a good thing. Their vocalist does sound like an indie-rock/pop vocalist, well, specifically a British one, because they are British, as I mentioned earlier. The song itself is rather lovely. Itís about five and a half minutes, but it doesnít really drag on. However, thatís the problem I have with this record, and itís that some of the songs really drag on, which makes it a boring listen. Well, not really boring, but some of the songs are way longer than they needed to be. Thatís ultimately forgivable, because the album is about 37 minutes long. So itís a decent length, and I can ultimately forget about that.

Next track ďReconfiguredĒ sounds very similar to ďThe Beacon,Ē and thatís another problem I had with this record; a lot of the songs sound so similar, I canít distinguish them from one another. While thatís not really bad, it does hinder my enjoyment a bit. This is another one of the songs that does rather drag on. Itís only about 4 minutes, but itís a bit longer than it needs to be. Thatís not to say I donít enjoy this album at all, because I do like it. I like it a lot, but there are a few glaring things that do strike me every time I listen to it. They donít completely hinder my enjoyment of the record, but they are quite glaring to me.

As for the rest of the record, itís rather nice. It is quite relaxing, and slightly haunting music. Not in a bad way, but it certainly is haunting. The only problem I have with it is that it really drags on. Some of the songs on this album are more than 6 minutes, but like I said, I can forgive that. Last song, ďAll Was Still,Ē is a nice closing track; it doesnít drag on at all, and actually sounds quite nice.

Overall, this is a record I would recommend for any indie fans; the record does tend to drag on in places, but itís ultimately forgivable, because itís only 37 minutes. Everything else about it is great, but thatís the only problem I really had.

Recommended If You Like Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Two Door Cinema Club, indie-pop.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. The Beacon
2. Reconfigured
3. The Survivalist
4. Every Way but Up
5. Embers
6. Running Blind
7. All Was Still

kidswithtorches.bandcamp.com

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests