AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sea Wolf - Old World Romance Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Sea Wolf - Old World Romance

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/22/12)
Sea WolfOld World Romance
Record Label: Dangerbird Records
Release Date: September 11th, 2012

Have you ever listened to a record or a band and thought, “Why haven’t I listened to this sooner?” As a fan of indie-rock, I’m always open to listen to bands I’ve never heard of, and CA outfit Sea Wolf is one of those said bands. I had never listened to this band in my life, but I came across them out of the blue one day a couple weeks ago, when their new album Old World Romance came out. I was not familiar with this band in the slightest, but still decided to check this album out, nonetheless. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least. I was also wondering why I hadn’t listened to this band much sooner. This record is exactly the kind of indie-rock that I enjoyed. However, I did decide to do a bit of research, and Sea Wolf has been around for about five hours, thanks to creator Alex Brown Church. This is the band’s third full-length record on Dangerbird Records, but the first record I’ve listened to personally. For a band I’ve never listened to before, Sea Wolf is a wonderful band.

The record starts off with “Old Friend,” and immediately, I’m instantly sucked in. An acoustic guitar begins the record, and it’s very soothing. Then Church’s voice comes into my speakers, and it sounds absolutely lovely. He reminds me a lot of the singer of Band Of Horses; he has a very distinct voice that’s quite soothing, and very pleasant to listen to. The song itself really describes how the 37-minute album will play out; soothing, and relaxing acoustic folk/indie. The most interesting thing about this record is that most songs are backed by a drum machine or synth. It really contrasts with the organic acoustic guitar, and the other more organic instruments. It does have a nice balance, and doesn’t hinder the record whatsoever. It’s not overbearing to the point where the synth becomes the focal point. Lyrically, it’s also a nice track, and every song on this record does have very nice lyrics. They essentially tell stories, and it’s absolutely wonderful. The only problem is most of the songs do tend to sound very similar, but that’s not their fault, considering there’s not much you really can do. However, despite that, the record really holds up.

Third track “Priscilla” has a lovely chorus that certainly can get stuck in your head if you’re not careful. It’s one of the catchier tracks on the record. Ironically, the next track “Kasper” is another very catchy track, too; it’s almost like a one-two punch. The drum machine really drives this track, and it certainly works to its advantage. Despite the drum machine and synth being used a lot, it just fits. Next track “Blue Stocking” is a more “folksy” track, which I really do like; it’s a song that’s much slower, and much more organic than a lot of the others. Fifth track “Saint Catherine St.” is another highlight of the record for me, and a lot of the tracks on this record are highlights. There isn’t one song that I genuinely didn’t like. Seventh track “Dear Fellow Traveler” is probably my favorite track on the record, because of the lyrics it has. It really paints a picture in my head, and I love it when lyrics can do that. It’s a very enjoyable track. Next track “Miracle Cure” is another one, too. In fact, one of my favorite things about this record is how the first few songs are so strong, and so great, but so are the last few, too.

Overall, this is a great record, and I stress great. I was so surprised I had never heard of this band before, because I absolutely enjoy them to pieces. As an indie-rock fan, I can’t get enough of this record. Sea Wolf will surely be one of my favorite bands in the next few months, and this will be one of my favorite records of the year.

Recommended If You Like Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Death Cab for Cutie, Noah and the Whale, indie-rock /indie-folk

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Old Friend
2. In Nothing
3. Priscilla
4. Kasper
5. Blue Stockings
6. Saint Catherine St.
7. Changing Seasons
8. Dear Fellow Traveler
9. Miracle Cure
10. Whirlpool

Sea Wolf is:
Alex Brown Church with:
Lisa Fendelander - keyboards
Joey Ficken - drums
Theodore Liscinski - bass
Joyce Lee - cello
Nathan 'Jr' Anderson - electric guitar

www.facebook.com/seawolf

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums