AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Howl Griff - 09.23.12

Interviewed by
Howl Griff - 09.23.121. Introduce yourself and your role in the band.

My name is Hywel Griff and I write, play guitar and sing. I also play some keyboards though not live.

2. You are releasing your album, Fragile Diamond, on October 15th. Can you give some details on how it's getting distributed, who produced it, etc.?

It was produced by myself and Gary Parkinson, credited as Howl Griff. It will be available off our Bandcamp site and most digital outlets. We also have a limited run of CDs that will be available off our Bandcamp and howlgriff.com We'd love to do a run of vinyl but we don't have the funds at the moment. If we do find some money then we may release a vinyl version.

3. The artwork for the album, and all of your releases for that matter, have had the same cartoon concept. Where did that idea come from?

They are all drawn by our drummer Nick Moore. He's created some other brilliant ones that may see the light of day on future releases. It's now part of the band's image.

4. The video for "Fragile Diamond" is an interesting concept to say the least. How did you decide upon doing that?

During the Summer of 2011 we played at Cloud Cuckoo Land festival in Somerset, England and met some really interesting and lovely people. We filmed Robbie Humphries, of Maybe Myrtle Turtle, dancing to the Charleston and told him that we'd use it in a video one day. So we were good to our word and he's really chuffed with it. He's a great musician too.

5. The UK is just a completely different landscape for music than the US. What separates Howl Griff from the rest of the bands in the genre?

We're categorised as being 'psychedelic' but I'm not sure I know what that means. We just make music. We play guitar, drums and bass and use very little in terms of effects. We write songs and we play them. That's it really. There's no big idea.

6. Will there be any bonus releases or b-sides released with the new album?

We have some live versions that may be used but on the whole everything we've recorded of late will appear on the album.

7. What's your favorite song on the new record and which do you feel most personally attached to?

I like them all really. I would say Meet My Maker and Fussbucker are my current faves.

8. Are there any lyrical themes running through the album?

They are mostly based on personal experiences and then they get twisted and regurgitated into songs. They're not 100% accurate but they are based on fact. I wrote the lyrics for 'Meet My Maker' after going blind while driving in the fast lane of the M4. I suffered an attack of vertigo which was very frightening at the time as I didn't know what it was. I went to hospital, thinking I was going to die, and then a few hours later after some tests I was sent home. I was pretty relieved!

9. What new artists, besides Howl Griff, should be on our radar?

Emily C Smith, who I've been working with of late. She's bringing a single out soon and has been played on BBC 6music. I also like Cardiff based Houdini Dax who are like The Beatles if they were a garage band. They have a track called 'Robin You Lie' on Youtube which is really cool.

10. Anything else to say?

Thank you Absolute Punk. It's been a pleasure. You can stream our album here.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests