Password

Album Review

Young Guns - Bones Album Cover

Young Guns - Bones

Reviewed by
Young Guns - Bones
Record Label: Wind-Up
Release Date: Sept. 4, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Sometimes talent just leaps from the speakers. Sometimes vocals just stop you in your tracks and rock your core. In the case of British band Young Guns both those statement could not be more true.

Whether its the cascading opener "I Was Born, I Have Lived, I Will Surely Die,"which serves almost as a siren-like call to arms, or the hook-heavy "Dearly Departed," or the surefire single (and title track) "Bones," there's not many albums that open with this much bang. But Young Guns are not one to slow down and gratefully the disc keeps rolling.

"Towers (On My Way)," is edgy and dark, while "Hym For All I've Lost," is gnomic and a quick study in how inimitable vocalist Gustav Wood's timbre truly is. On the titanic "You Are Not," the group offers up another towering chorus. Easily the album's most visceral cut the fiery juggernaut moves at a breakneck pace and is nothing short of frenetic. It's also the first song in which the band sounds their crispest, slickest and glossiest. To put it succinctly, this disk is only six songs in and already it is sizzling.

But Bones is far from over. A fist-pumping anthem that is incredibly unshakable "Brother in Arms," is the sound of a band making very few mistakes and striving towards something sonically dense and melodically pleasing. The disc's first and only hiccup is the filler track "Learn My Lesson," which thankfully segues into the dynamic and sweeping "Everything Ends." The electro-instrumental "Interlude," is more or less a prequel to the reaching and epic "Headlights." Bones ends with the slow-moving "Broadfields," in which Wood puts on a clinic of a vocal performance and stakes its claim as one of 2012's most rewarding songs.

And just like that it ends. With nary a flaw in production and only one true hiccup, Bones is an absolute triumph. But writing it off that simply would be doing the band a disservice. Quite frankly, there hasn't been a disc that has come across this reviewer's desk so far this year that has exuded this much confidence. Being that the band is still young, in many ways Bones feels like the arrival of something that has the potential to make at least a few waves. Being that they've logged dates with the likes of Enter Shikari, Yellowcard and All Time Low, to name a few, they're certainly getting their fair share of exposure.

But tour dates with the likes of those heavyweights still feels short-sighted. Anyone who has heard the band's indelible version of Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees,' knows that Young Guns is more than just a one-trick pony. And it is that very point that serves as the denoument for what makes Bones so impacting. Perhaps this won't be the album that turns heads. Perhaps this will just bumble along without the recognition that it deserves. But make no mistake about it, Young Guns are vastly talented and laden with armfuls of potential. One listen to Bones proves that.

Recommended if You Like Anberlin, Lostprophets, Enter Shikari, Yellowcard

Find Them Here http://www.facebook.com/younggunsuk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
04:06 AM on 09/25/12
JamesMichael
Fight Fuck Regret
User Info.
As if its only just got released in the US its been out here 9 month! Good review though. Album was good but they sort of lost momentum here.
05:44 AM on 09/25/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
As if its only just got released in the US its been out here 9 month! Good review though. Album was good but they sort of lost momentum here.
That's what I'm hearing. Seems weird to me. This seems like a momentum-builder. Apparently they went more pop and lost their edge. For a softie like me, this is a good thing. And yeah, it just came out earlier this month, but that is pretty common with UK releases, i.e. Sigh No More et al.
06:33 AM on 09/25/12
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
solid review, I really like the word "inimitable"
06:37 AM on 09/25/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I just discovered this band recently. "Weight of the world" showcases exactly what I look for in a modern rock band. Just awesome. Should I start with Bones or its predecessor?
07:49 AM on 09/25/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great album. i like all their stuff, but this album really solidified my fondness for this band.
08:55 AM on 09/25/12
henry chinaski
User Info.
Glad this got a review. Great rock record.
09:49 AM on 09/25/12
Kobrakai09
Yeah, this is love.
User Info.
Advise you to pick up this album - it's brilliant. Massive improvement over their debut for me, as I didn't like the production on that one (odd seeing as this has the same producer).

They're great live too.
10:23 AM on 09/25/12
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just discovered this band recently. "Weight of the world" showcases exactly what I look for in a modern rock band. Just awesome. Should I start with Bones or its predecessor?
I'd definitely recommend that you pick up their first record. Great, great album.
10:46 AM on 09/25/12
Fowdall
User Info.
Great band, great record, go see them.
10:51 AM on 09/25/12
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
meh, they lost a bit of their edge and now sound like any other uk rock bands out there. besides "Bones" it doesn't have some strong songs that make me think "whoa it sounds huge" like on All Our Kings Are Dead or Mirrors. i hope their next album won't feel as rushed as this one.
10:54 AM on 09/25/12
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
start with their debut EP which also contains Weight Of The World, and 3 killer jams that weren't rerecorded for the first full lenght
12:36 PM on 09/25/12
JamesMichael
Fight Fuck Regret
User Info.
That's what I'm hearing. Seems weird to me. This seems like a momentum-builder. Apparently they went more pop and lost their edge. For a softie like me, this is a good thing. And yeah, it just came out earlier this month, but that is pretty common with UK releases, i.e. Sigh No More et al.

I'm not sure what happened either I enjoyed the first album quite a lot when it came out and at the time they were one of those 'Up and coming bands' that supported quite a few big acts so I got to saw them quite a few times.
01:17 PM on 09/25/12
hiddentrack
I feel fine when you’re in my head.
User Info.
For me, this band fills the void left by Acceptance. Not all the way, of course. Some great tunes though. Solid review!
09:37 PM on 09/25/12
Flommaneade
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums