AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Heroes, The - The Compassion Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Heroes, The - The Compassion

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/24/12)
Heroes Ė The Compassion
Record Label: Contain Records
Release Date: September 14th, 2012

Writing reviews on AP.net can be a really cool thing. Last week, I woke up, and checked my email. I noticed I had a new PM from AP.net. I went on, and it was from one of the members of New York melodic hardcore band Heroes. I had never heard of them before, but they wanted me to review their new record The Compassion. Iíll admit, Iím not a huge fan of heavy music anymore, but I will make exceptions. I decided to listen to it, and I was mildly impressed. I will be honest, itís not the best record Iíve ever heard in my life, but as far as for what it is, itís great. This is a great record melodic hardcore fans, I think. Iím surprised I havenít heard of these guys until now, because theyíre pretty solid, just like this record. However, itís more than a melodic hardcore record, and Iíll explain what that means throughout the review.

The record starts off with an intro titled ďIntro.Ē Iíve seen this a million times, and sometimes, it works. Most of the time, it doesnít. However, it does rather work, to a degree. It starts off very slow, with a slow guitar riff by guitarists Chris Benne, and Peter Martingano. Towards the last 15 seconds, it begins building up, and it leads right into the next track ďOne Last Time.Ē It doesnít take long for lead vocalist Nick Vitale to begin screaming. Heís got one heck of a scream, thatís for sure. Heís not the best screamer Iíve ever heard, but heís pretty darn strong. Another thing about this track is it sort sets up the rest of the record. Not really, because there are a few surprises here and there, but the record is only 34 minutes, so there are not many surprises. There are breakdowns, as itís typical with a melodic hardcore, but theyíre rather brief, and kept the record fresh.

As the record goes on, there are a few glaring problems I have. The first one is, most of it sounds quite similar, and itís not just one specific thing, either. Vocalist Nick Vitate has some solid screams, but he doesnít have much range in his voice, which does hinder it slightly. Itís not awful, but it does bother me slightly. The instrumentation itself sounds rather similar throughout as well. However, there is some variety. There are a few interludes throughout this record that are very interesting, and do provide some variety that not many hardcore bands do. There are three in total, and they all appear in the beginning, middle, and end of the record. Theyíre all rather slow little interludes that do slow it down a bit, but the tracks right after do pick it back up.

Overall, this record is rather generic, but itís not terrible. People have this idea that generic is another word for bad, or awful, but itís not always. This is one band that I do see potential in, and essentially, I really would compare this band to being The Ghost Insideís younger brother. They have ways to go, but theyíre on the right track.

Recommended If You Like The Ghost Inside, For the Fallen Dreams, Liferuiner, Stick To Your Guns, and melodic hardcore

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Intro
2. One Last Time
3. Stones and Sorrow
4. Ancestors
5. Frequency
6. Crossing Over
7. Precious Time
8. Grave Blankets
9. Choke Hold
10. Subsistor
11. Survivorís Guilt
12. Chapter XII

Heroes is:
Nick Vitale: Vocals
Chris Benne: Guitar\Vocals
Peter Martingano: Guitar\Vocals
Nick Colella: Bass
Paul Pipitone: Drums

www.facebook.com/heroesny

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums