Password

Album Review

The Years Gone By - On the Verge Album Cover

The Years Gone By - On the Verge

Reviewed by
The Years Gone By - On the Verge
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 8, 2007
While I’m willing to listen to any genre, I see myself constantly reviewing pop punk records. It’s funny to think that New Jersey once produced bands such as Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Saves the Day, and in recent years, The Early November, Midtown, and now The Years Gone By. With one release already under their belts, these guys know how to win over their fans. Many different webzines were dubbing this band very fun and catchy, and it intrigued me to take a listen. They proudly present: On the Verge.

On the Verge is a pretty interesting compact disc. I wouldn’t refer to The Years Gone By as your typical pop punk band, because their sound has more zing to it. I started listening to them back in 2005, and quite frankly, this release has a really noticeable new sound. The record starts off with the single “The Translation,” which jumps right into and upbeat pop-punk sound with very smooth and catchy vocals, provided by Nickolas Madore.

I tend to believe that if bands are friends with other popular bands in the same genre, they become more popular quicker. “Them-1, Me-0” is a prime example of this concept. Just Surrender vocalist Dan Simons adds a hint of guest words on this number. This leads into the song that many other bands wish they wrote. The song “Anniversary” is just begging for some air-time. It's possibly my favorite track off On the Verge.

“You'd never know where we'd go, it's incredible
You'd never know where we'd go to be alone when
You'd never know where we'd go to be incredible now
Be incredible now (be incredible now)

You know me ,and I'll state the obvious
You're the light in my life
When I say I need you (say I need you)
You know the truth
Because my heart's not whole when its not beating around you”

The EP tends to lead into a different direction for the following songs. On the Verge has some songs that are great, but others that I skip, just to reach my favorite song. “A Steady Approach to Sanity” is another key tune. Like every typical pop punk album, it contains a song about a girl and trying to get over her. The rest of On the Verge pretty much follows the same concept as the rest of the album: catchy and fun.

Yeah, I say a lot of positive things about this EP. Trust me, you should not pass by this release. The band is very young and so far, very productive. I was amazed that this was up for a review because they should be the next “what’s hot” band in 2008. On the Verge should not be overlooked.

LinksAP.net Profile | MySpace | Buy
This review is a user submitted review from tm decomposer. You can see all of tm decomposer's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
04:04 PM on 01/26/08
singlexsorrow
In all this chaos we found safety..
User Info.
Good review. I've known about these guys for quite a while and you are right: they are catchy and fun haha.
05:14 PM on 01/26/08
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Real catchy band. Vocals get annoying sometimes, though.
09:12 AM on 01/27/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
i've been debating whether to review this myself for quite some time. personally, i love this release, my favorite EP of all last year.
i think these guys have lots of potential, with songs like "the translation", "anniversary", "sever the ties", "billboards", and "high school sensation" all being solid in my opinion.
best of luck to them and good review, though i would have had in probably in the 85 range.
09:06 AM on 02/04/08
bailmeout13
It could be a bowling site.
User Info.
Nice review. Been meaning to get the EP for awhile now.
09:54 AM on 02/04/08
tomfalcone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Such a great EP.
10:43 AM on 02/04/08
ohsolovely
Hi, I'm Susan.
User Info.
"billboards" and "sever the ties" are probably two of my favorite songs ever. i love this band and this EP.
12:12 PM on 02/04/08
dancox_
User Info.
Hell yeah, gotta' love TYGB. I give the EP a 10/10, though.
03:58 PM on 02/04/08
rachel_evet
User Info.
i love these boys. i have this album.

go get it for yourself.
treat yourself to some good music.
09:45 AM on 02/09/08
nikkinutt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just started listening to these guys and saw them play last night. their sound is great and put on an awesome show. definitely look forward to seeing them more and they are guaranteed to get bigger.
07:31 AM on 09/07/08
fran.182
Euphoric Disconnection
User Info.
great ep
07:18 AM on 04/30/09
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
these guys are good!
07:34 PM on 06/22/09
denissuxx