AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Take One Car - 09.30.12

Interviewed by: Kelly Doherty (09/30/12)
I recently spoke to Tyler Irish of New York's Take One Car. About their recent tours, their plans for the year, and their LP, It's Going To Be A Nice Day.

Hello Take One Car!
Hi!

For the record, who is Take One Car?

Take One Car is Tyler Irish, Pete Scholes, Branden Waite and Ryan Saldarriaga

How did you get together?

Hmm...Well, Take One Car itself, is about 5 years old now. We originally started out with a different lineup. Pete and I were in that lineup. We met over the internet. Both of us were looking for fellow bandmates and it kind of fell into place. Branden happens to be a cousin, so when we lost our original bass player, it just made sense to have him join. It's kind of a similar situation with Ryan. He was introduced to us through mutual friends, when our original drummer left.

How would you describe Take One Car's sound, for the unacquainted?

This is always the hardest question for me. The four of us have very different influences and I'd like to think they all have their way of coming out in the songs we write. We never really aimed for a genre. Our goal has always been to create something that would make people feel; whether it be an uplifting experience or not, we just wanted to elicit some sort of reaction. Our sound tends vary from song to song. I guess that some elements that remain the same throughout. We love dynamics. We tend to lean towards to bubbly guitar leads, and heavier riffs, but we've never really set any boundaries on what we should write

What are you guys up to at the moment?

We spent a good part of this year on the road supporting our newest album, so we haven't had a lot of time at home to work on any new material. We plan to spend most of the Fall working on some new song ideas that have been bouncing around.

How has touring been for you? You've had a couple of big tours over the past few months, what's the reaction been to It's Going To Be A Nice Day live?

We've had a really great time touring this year. It's really been awesome to travel to different parts of the country and play in some cities that we've always wanted to visit.

The reaction to album has been better than we ever could have imagined. To some extent, when you release an album you expect the worse. We've always enjoyed what we do, but to have others share in that enjoyment is beyond awesome.

How did It's Going To Be A Nice Day come together? How was the songwriting process?

It was really difficult. It had be a couple of years since we had put out our first album. We had been working on a few new songs, some of which actually made it on to IGTBAND. During that time, there was a lot that changed both in the band and in our personal lives. It wasn't as smooth of a process as we probably would have liked but I think a lot of that frustration and angst helped push us. We wanted more than anything write an awesome album. We spent a lot of 10-12 days locked in our practice space fleshing that album out. We wanted it to flow together, we wanted it to be cohesive, we wanted it to be an experience, We wanted it to represent our band. It was stressful time, but we couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

Did those emotions impact upon your lyrics, do you think?

I think they might have to some extent. Our band was in a very rough place, so I guess there was some sense of finality. There was this looming end in sight, and I think a lot of the songs took on that vibe.

Would you consider there to be any lyrical patterns within the album? How important are lyrics to you?

I think there are some. A lot of the songs deal with conflicts between two people or two personalities. There is a lot of light and dark, and life and death references. So there may be some patterns in that aspect. Lyrics are very important to me. I think they can make a or break a song. I tend to hold up our writng process, because I can't find something I am happy with.

How does It's Going To Be A Good Day contrast with your earlier material? Do you think it's a big development for the band? Or do you think it's more subtle?

I think it was a big development for us. Our first album was more or less a catalog of things we tried out. We weren't sure where we wanted to go as band. By the time we started writing IGTBAND, we had been together for 3 years. We had honed in on what we wanted, and cut out the junk we were unhappy with.

Do you think it's important to make a conscious decision to change your sound betwen releases? Or do you just go with whatever feels right?

I don't think it's important to make a conscious decision. In the two years between the release of an album you grow, and naturally what you write changes. We tend to go with whatever feels comfortable.

What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Mostly writing new material. We do plan to head back to the midwest for a brief tour in November. We should be announcing details for that soon.

Who influences Take One Car? What bands do you recommend?

We have a lot of influences, but two bands I continue to mention are At The Drive-In and MewithoutYou. It isn't necessarily their genre but their energy. Both of those bands have an incredible ability to capture so much energy in their music. You can't sit still an listen to them.
Recommendations? I would have to say Colour Revolt. They're one of my all time favorite bands, that never gets enough attention. I just don't get it. They are so good.

Great stuff. Any final words?

Hmm...not too sure. I guess I could say that we're pretty happy with the resurgence of the underground scene in our area and in some of the places we've visited this year. We were around in 2008 and watched attendance crash, and venues die, and bands disperse. I hope people now realize how important it is to invest in your scene and your favorite bands. It's the only way either can survive.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
11:26 AM on 09/30/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
FINALLY. wasn't this supposed to happen months ago?
Best band. best guys. I can't suggest them enough.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests