Password

01:00 AM on 10/01/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
Has anyone here transferred from one 4 year university to another? What was the process like? Was it a good decision? I'm currently an undergrad (sophomore year) at the University of Missouri, Columbia and my major is undecided. Due to some housing circumstances, my mom put the idea of me transferring back home in my head and I discovered that Webster University in St. Louis has an audio production program which is pretty much my dream major. So now I'm heavily considering transferring but I'm a little hesitant because that's a big change. Still, in the long run, I feel like it will be good for me even though it doesn't look like many of the credits I've already earned will be transferrable. Just leave your own transfer stories in the thread and if you have any advice for me I'd love to hear it.
05:44 PM on 10/01/12 
User Info.
<*)))><
Put a T-Shirt On
Oswego,NY
Male - 23 Years Old
I transferred and I liked it. The only downside is sometimes you get fucked over with credits and you need to meet new people like you were a freshman.
11:26 AM on 10/02/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
I didnt transfer but I was a transient student. I was at Duke and I partied too much freshmen year. I maintained a 3.7 but I was killing myself. Second year it moved to a 3.8 but my face was looking worn. I went to the counselors and I got myself into NYU because I thought it would be an easier school. It was easier but I partied even more. I did great there but I was still overdoing it. I went back to duke after a year and didnt feel like I missed anything. I met friends in class at both schools. And frats were a good source. No matter where I went I had friends. If I could control myself back then I wouldn't have partied as much. I mean I was going out every single day. I would get 2 hours sleep and go to class. Spend all day doing work and then back out partying. People joked that I wouldn't survive college but I did. Then I went off to Law School and didnt party at all. Im over it, finally. But yeah, I would say do whatever feels right for you. Haha
02:01 PM on 10/02/12 
User Info.
Chris M.
#WeTheNorth
Male - 22 Years Old
I wish I had transferred after my first or second years. Not that I dislike my school or my friends here, but I'm really only going here because it's close to home and the cost of living compared to if I went to school in Ontario or Halifax is dirt cheap.
08:35 PM on 10/03/12 
User Info.
(l,k)
hate on me then you hate success
No Avatar Selected
transferred from a 4 year college to community college back to a 4 year university this fall. be prepared to make up for credits that dont transfer by taking a couple classes in the summer cuz you might need it to stay on track
03:07 PM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
My girlfriend transferred from her first school after her sophomore year, to the school she originally wanted to go to (but didn't because it was expensive). She enjoys her new school a lot more, but the only downside is you don't go through the whole meeting people as a freshman thing again, so she doesn't have a lot of friends at her new school. Luckily she still has work friends and friends from other schools, but I feel bad that she doesn't have the same relationships that I have with my best friends from school.
08:49 AM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I transferred between two universities in UMass system. I enjoy the one I am at now much more than before, but I did lose a semesters worth of credit, and there are other things I need to do that are university specific, like seminars and random requirements that vary between universities. Overall it added an extra year, but for my change in lifestyle I have found it worth it.
01:21 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
I transferred between two universities in UMass system. I enjoy the one I am at now much more than before, but I did lose a semesters worth of credit, and there are other things I need to do that are university specific, like seminars and random requirements that vary between universities. Overall it added an extra year, but for my change in lifestyle I have found it worth it.

How long did you go to your previous school before transferring?
01:40 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
How long did you go to your previous school before transferring?

Two years.
11:00 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah, I know I'll have to be playing catch up with credits but my parents already said they'll pay for an extra year, so I'm not too worried about it. It's just so weird and kind of sudden to be making this decision, however the sooner I decide the better and honest to god transferring will be much better for me in the long run, so I'm going for it.
04:18 PM on 10/17/12 
User Info.
Fool
Chicago
Male
I transferred from a 4 year small private school after my first semester. I realized I had no clue what I wanted to do and was wasting money so I went down to a junior college. Saved a ton of money, while figuring out what to major in. After getting my AA I transferred to another private 4 year. I was glad, if you aren't happy with the school you're at for any reason, why pay a huge amount of money to stay there? I lost about a semester while figuring out what to do with my academic career, but I didn't have any problems with my transferring of classes. In fact, I actually benefited by transferring as a junior, my university waived a few extra classes to allow me to graduate as close to on time as I could.
08:30 AM on 11/07/12 
User Info.
dcreelman1982
I transferred from a community college to a 4 year school, and what everyones said so far is true, the credit thing is a pain in the ass. Your best bet is to transfer between schoold that are affiliated with each other...I'm not sure if there are a lot of schools like that, I know that in Rhode Island the community college has a deal worked out with the 4 year schools, so you don't lose a lot of credits.
04:58 PM on 12/27/12 
User Info.
xCoconutheadx
Perfectly Imperfect
United States
Female - 21 Years Old
Yeah, I know I'll have to be playing catch up with credits but my parents already said they'll pay for an extra year, so I'm not too worried about it. It's just so weird and kind of sudden to be making this decision, however the sooner I decide the better and honest to god transferring will be much better for me in the long run, so I'm going for it.

My sister goes to JMU and has to transfer to GMU next fall because its costing her parents a fortune, she didnt get grants and someone else got her scholarship. GMU is closer to home and since she's the only child they didnt want to let her go. It depends on the school but if you take all the general classes that are required you shouldnt have to repeat or make up for a missing credit.
12:30 PM on 01/18/13 
User Info.
blackmaching
No Avatar Selected
Higher class transfer isn't recommended, but if it is necessary for any reason, go for it. Find out a better institution in your local area. Yes, you will find new friends, may take time to get adjusted.
05:47 PM on 01/27/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
Those of you who have transferred mid-year:

What did you do to make new friends? I'm hanging out with like 3-4 friends of mine I know from home(2/3 of them are a couple so I don't really hang with those two separately ever), but like, they're in other buildings and I can't just always be following them around. Their friends are nice and cool, so hopefully over a little more time I'll become closer friends with them as well, but man. It stinks not having friends in your building. It stinks to not always have someone to go to the dining hall with, yknow? I just wish I knew more people. It was a lot easier coming in as a freshman, but now I'm going from a tiny school of 2,000 students to a huge university of 15,000+ and I don't know what to do with myself when the few friends I have/know are busy or just so far away that I'm not always in the mood to walk to their buildings.

I think I am overall happier here with my courses (I transferred into CS and I'm having fun with my CS and IT assignments, and actually finding myself spending hours adding things that aren't even part of the requirements just to make them the way I want and stuff) and my friends who I do see are great people to be around. I just feel lonely at times. I live in a single dorm and everyone in this building already has their friends haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos