Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 34
12:12 PM on 10/02/12
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
I've always liked BTBAM, but haven't been interested enough to check them out until I heard "Specular Reflection." And I imagine since this has been so well received, I'm gonna have to check this out too. Very good review.
02:27 PM on 10/02/12
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
they never do anything wrong.
03:42 PM on 10/02/12
E=MCHAMMER
bottled
User Info.
Yeah and this gets almost the same score on this site as All Time Low.
03:46 PM on 10/02/12
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
I'm going to be THAT GUY and say after the success of Colors, they've just been chasing the exact same formula while losing sight of what made them a great band before Colors. This album has some more shades of the Alaska/Silent Circus formula than The Great Misdirect or the EP had, but I'm still let down.
09:43 PM on 10/03/12
seanburnsred
The bar is my only friend.
User Info.
I'm not sure how you can compare the reviews of All Time Low and Between The Buried and Me. Two completely different genres. I haven't listened to the new ATL album, but I can imagine it being a 90% album based on it's genre.
Now, if for some reason you want to review ATL's album as a progressive metal(core) album, or BTBAM's album as a pop punk album, then by all means compare the two scores. But you really can't compare a pop punk review score to a metal review score. Doesn't work that way.
09:32 AM on 10/06/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
well they at least got one thing right, both bands do deserve the same score... 4/10
11:10 AM on 10/06/12
swboyd
The Screaming Wind
User Info.
Alaska is still their best album. :)
11:56 AM on 10/06/12
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I'm not sure how you can compare the reviews of All Time Low and Between The Buried and Me. Two completely different genres. I haven't listened to the new ATL album, but I can imagine it being a 90% album based on it's genre.
Now, if for some reason you want to review ATL's album as a progressive metal(core) album, or BTBAM's album as a pop punk album, then by all means compare the two scores. But you really can't compare a pop punk review score to a metal review score. Doesn't work that way.
In what way is the scale used different for the All Time Low record?
02:23 PM on 10/06/12
kkman99
emo is a gang
User Info.
riyl?
02:25 PM on 10/06/12
kkman99
emo is a gang
User Info.
well they at least got one thing right, both bands do deserve the same score... 4/10
All I've ever seen you post is negative elitist bullshit. Emo is not the only genre worth fucking listening to dude. Algernon Cadwallader is not the most talented band of all time. Fuck.
02:54 PM on 10/06/12
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
This album is annoying as fuck. They need to cut the shit with the dumb ass stuff mid-song. The noodling is great, but the other stuff brings it down so much.
03:28 PM on 10/06/12
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
In what way is the scale used different for the All Time Low record?
they're two completely different records... how can you grade them similarly? one's a pop album, one's a metal album...
03:28 PM on 10/06/12
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
04:28 PM on 10/06/12
alextoremember
A little more glasses than cape.
User Info.
I have a lot of respect for BTBAM. I always have but I do now even more than before. I've already said today that I hate being captain negative, but I will air a couple grievances here. In the last couple years, I've noticed a ton of young, up-and-coming bands, trying to avoid the stigma of "generic metalcore" or "genericore" or "Risecore" or whatever you call it, reverting instead to progressive metal or djent styles. First of all, many of these bands aren't switching up the formula all that much, rather just cutting out the clean choruses and synth riffs and adding a marginal groove to their sound, then giving themselves the title "djent" or "progressive" to create a sense of innovation. This isn't targeted at bands like Volumes and Structures necessarily, but more so at newer bands trying to be them. This whole trend has added an arrogance and hipsterdom to the prog metal "scene" (I hate using that word) that wasn't there before, or at least wasn't there as much, and waters down the notion of pushing the envelope.

I'll get off my soapbox now by saying it's nice to see bands like BTBAM and periphery not let this affect them. Every album, BTBAM is able to ride the balance between doing something different every album, but not abandoning their core structure. We all know Colors was one of the genre's masterpieces, and they haven't lost a step since. I'll gush for a moment by opining that BTBAM are some of the most brilliant and talented musicians in all of metal. Great album, great band, great career, great future. Kudos, and thanks for the music.

And before I get a comment bitching, I know that progressive metal and djent are different genres. I'm speaking from the view of other people and the ideology of the trend.
05:14 PM on 10/06/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
All I've ever seen you post is negative elitist bullshit. Emo is not the only genre worth fucking listening to dude. Algernon Cadwallader is not the most talented band of all time. Fuck.
What? I don't even like Algernon Cadawaller. They're overrated. Not bad, but still overrated.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos