Username
Password

Album Review - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 126.
03:10 PM on 10/03/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
not a fan of this review. I, for one, do not care if they don't try something "more experiemental and ambitious" on dos and tre.

i've been listening to Green Day since 1994 (i'm 32 now, 14 when "longview" hit Mtv) and i've been a fan throughout their career. I was as blown away as anyone when they followed up Warning with American Idiot, and i wasn't surprised when they attempted "American Idiot Part 2" with 21st Century Breakdown, and I think the consensus is it wasn't as good as Idiot.

so i welcome this return to their 90's sound, return to their roots type album. it's a fun, straightforward Green Day that we haven't heard since Nimrod in '97. And I don't think there's an expiration date on playing a style of music YOU pioneered. This review seems to indicate that since there are so many pop-punk bands that have co-opted Green Day's 90's sound, that Green Day should just move on and only write "ambitious" rock-opera stadium-rock songs now. Fuck those bands, no one does Green Day better than Green Day, and I don't like the ageist idea that dudes well into their 30's or even 40's should be "above" writing pop-punk anymore because it's a genre for teens and twentysomethings. piss on that too.

this is a welcome record for me. It takes me back to their Nimrod-era. It has their trademark 90's sound mixed with a raw garage-rock sound. cleaner guitars like on Warning, mixed with the punk-pop of Nimrod. For a fan since '94, this is not a bad thing.

sure if flounders here and there. "kill the DJ" is like the Offpsring gimmick-track-meets Franz Ferdinand and it is bad. you know what an Offspring gimmick track is by now right? see also: original prankster, pretty fly for a white guy, bumpin in my trunk, hit that, etc.

and yea, "troublemaker" is bad garage rock. There's some filler in the middle.

but "stay the night" is epically classic, one of their strongest songs ever. "fell for you" has brilliant vocal patterns. "sweet 16" is like christie Road dammit. "angel blue" rips with energy dudes half their age strive for.

I am OK without American Idiot part 3. For their 9th album via a 20+ year career, i am very stoked.
Bro, it sounds like you should seriously just make a review about it. You could get a bit more attention that way.
03:10 PM on 10/03/12
tdlyon
User Info.
I don't get all the hate on this album. Is it not cool to like Green Day anymore?
Everyone on this site bashes them no matter what they do. They could release another Dookie and people would still find a reason to complain.
03:12 PM on 10/03/12
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Also.. "The pair of “Sweet 16” and “Rusty James” provides the record’s low point, as it seems as though Green Day has run out of melodies and is now simply rehashing old ones."

Seriously?! I think those are the best two tracks on the record.
03:38 PM on 10/03/12
FTank
Blank
User Info.
I don't get all the hate on this album. Is it not cool to like Green Day anymore?
That's not it. This album just sucks.
03:49 PM on 10/03/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
holy shit, uno!/5. amazing.

Haha, I laughed at a lot of that review. That guy TORE it apart.
04:06 PM on 10/03/12
Robb
ism
User Info.
I don't see what's so bad about Kill the DJ. It's not amazing but calling a foray into new-ish Arctic Monkeys territory "flat-out, blindingly, without a doubt the most awful song this band has written in its entire career" is absolute overkill.
Especially when "Troublemaker" is on the same album. I'd have to double check to confirm, but that be my least favorite album track of theirs, ever.
04:11 PM on 10/03/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i absolutely think kill the DJ is their worst song. that wasn't an exaggeration whatsoever.
04:32 PM on 10/03/12
FNF
You are the only exception <3
User Info.
I agree that Kill the DJ is a travesty but their worst song is without a doubt Misery. Otherwise, great review!
No. Just, no.
04:41 PM on 10/03/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
so i welcome this return to their 90's sound, return to their roots type album. it's a fun, straightforward Green Day that we haven't heard since Nimrod in '97. And I don't think there's an expiration date on playing a style of music YOU pioneered. This review seems to indicate that since there are so many pop-punk bands that have co-opted Green Day's 90's sound, that Green Day should just move on and only write "ambitious" rock-opera stadium-rock songs now. Fuck those bands, no one does Green Day better than Green Day, and I don't like the ageist idea that dudes well into their 30's or even 40's should be "above" writing pop-punk anymore because it's a genre for teens and twentysomethings. piss on that too.

Agreed. The reason this record exceeded my expectations is because they proved (yet again) that no one does Green Day better than Green Day. Sure, it's not groundbreaking, but I don't really care. I just want to hear some fun pop-punk songs. And at the end of the day this band still writes better pop-punk songs than bands like All Time Low.
04:54 PM on 10/03/12
SpacemanLacey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Green Day gets a lot of hate on here because everybody is a hipster (or wants to think they are), and it's un-cool (to them) to like anything mainstream. Because Green Day is a mainstream punk band, people want to be cool and say they hate all the new Green Day. Many were even ridiculous enough to judge an entire album off of a single.
fowruok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i absolutely think kill the DJ is their worst song. that wasn't an exaggeration whatsoever.
Agreed. It's pretty embarrassing.

The album's all right, though.
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Many were even ridiculous enough to judge an entire album off of a single.

this.
04:55 PM on 10/03/12
tdlyon
User Info.
Green Day gets a lot of hate on here because everybody is a hipster (or wants to think they are), and it's un-cool (to them) to like anything mainstream. Because Green Day is a mainstream punk band, people want to be cool and say they hate all the new Green Day. Many were even ridiculous enough to judge an entire album off of a single.
Even worse. People judged THREE whole albums based off of a single.
05:13 PM on 10/03/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.

I'd like to think that's the case, but people on this site seem to like Blink-182 and other mainstream bands so there's got to be more to it.
05:17 PM on 10/03/12
chordsforacure
Host of the Saint Mort Show!
User Info.
I dont get the hate for Kill the DJ. It's not clever or particularly great lyrically but its a catchy up beat song. Doesnt sound like a green day song though. It sounds more like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I reckon if they wrote it people would be raving about it.
I really dig Kill the DJ but I think if anything it sounds like a Franz Ferdinand song
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums