Username
Password

Album Review - Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 120 of 126.
09:10 AM on 10/05/12
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
if you want brand new to return to a your favorite weapon sound then we probably aren't going to agree on much of anything music-related.

that's not what i meant, what i meant was that IF a band wants to go back to a sound they pioneered, or their "old sound" then they should have the option to without getting backlash that what they're doing is somehow not as good as "experimenting" or "maturing".

i.e. i don't think NFG deserve flack for going back to the sound they pioneered with NWAF and Radiosurgery after the experimentation of Coming Home. Nor do i think Green Day deserve flack for going back to the sound they pioneered with UNO! after the experimentation of American Idiot or 21st. I don' think that once a band experiments that they always have to keep experimenting thereafter. I don't think that once a band heads in a different direction that it is somehow bullshit for them to head back in their old direction.

i don't think it's uncreative, boring or a let-down to go back to your core sound after experimenting, especially if your core sound is original, i.e. Green Day, NFG

my brand new comment was simply a joke, we all know Jesse is far too SERIOUS to ever write a pop-punk record again. But if he somehow found it in himself to do so, i wouldn't hold it against him or say "been there, done that". i'd say "good for you for keeping us guessing". at this point, BN doing a pop-punk record would actually be a bigger curveball to the fans than doing something even more experimental than Daisy or God.
09:41 AM on 10/05/12
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
After listening to it 3 or 4 times, I can say that I like ĦUno!, although it's clear that it's not such a masterpiece as, say, American Idiot or Dookie. But that was quite obvious and everyone knew it, so once that this statement is made, I think the album is quite enjoyable and has catchy tunes. There are a couple of horrible songs (like "Let Yourself Go" and "Kill the DJ"), but what about "21 Guns" and "Know Your Enemy"? So as far as the melodies are concerned, I really like the album. When it comes to lyrics though it's impossible not to underline how poor they are. Apparently BJ ran short of ideas and had to write down some of the most repetitive and useless lyrics in GD's career. Which is OK if we think that they wrote probably more than 40 songs, but then why put out so many songs instead of focusing on the best 14 or so and try to get those ones better? We'll never know.

In any case, the album has some memorable parts and you can easily listen to it in any moment, making it a quite good start for the trilogy expected. 75%
11:40 AM on 10/05/12
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
Good review Thomas. The only thing I disagree with is that I like "Sweet 16" haha.
07:02 PM on 10/05/12
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
Ballsy. I like it.

I've only heard "Oh Love" so far, because of the radio. It was really lackluster, boring, and even a little lazy, especially considering it's a single. Didn't get why people liked it. Unsurprised but understandable review.
01:17 PM on 10/06/12
element4433
Gay for Moleman
User Info.
My main problem with this album is lyrically. I'm all for a return to form musically, but when you evolve lyrically as much as they did it's hard to go back. Now that's not to say that they had to stay political, but they spent two album cycles saying "something." Now they go and release an album of pointless songs.

But, that's not to belittle their pre-Idiot work. Those albums were much, much, much better lyrically. This album has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. Like worse than high school band lyrics.

That's what really hurts the replayablity of this album. The first listen is like "Cool this sounds like Green Day." The second "Man, these songs are dumb." Third "These songs are really, really dumb."

It's definitely a fun album, but it's not really one that I want to listen to.
02:09 PM on 10/06/12
alilbravetoaste
http://www.thefairweathered.com/
User Info.
surprised that i'm getting the type of backlash that "you're hating Green Day because it's cool to hate Green Day." i'm in the minority that loved both AI and 21stCB .... i love most every album they have.
What minority is that? Both of those albums sold way more than 9/10 of the bands on this site obviously, so I'm curious as to what you mean.
02:24 PM on 10/06/12
FTank
Blank
User Info.
What minority is that? Both of those albums sold way more than 9/10 of the bands on this site obviously, so I'm curious as to what you mean.

If you talk to the majority of Green Day fans on this site, they hated 21CB
03:08 PM on 10/06/12
alextoremember
A little more glasses than cape.
User Info.
Your point about how their setting such a high bar puts them at an awkward position is 110% correct. That's why breaking through with a record like American Idiot is such a double-edged sword: It becomes immortalized as one of the great punk records ever, but then again, it doesn't leave you a clear path of where to go while simultaneously skyrocketing expectations.

For the most part, I'm going to withhold my judgment until all three records come out, because if they weren't all meant to connect, there wouldn't have been a point to this form of release. I will say that what they seem to be doing is a pretty logical step forward from the rock opera records. Uno! wasn't their finest work, no, but I highly doubt it will be the best of the three. It would be nonsensical to release the best first and let the next two pail in comparison. Thus, this really doesn't impact my excitement for Dos and Tres any one bit.

The only puzzling thing to me is their choice to have Kill the DJ be the first song they show off. I'm sure at some point, they have written a worse song. I don't even think it's so bad that they couldn't make a video for it eventually. However, having that be your first step forward is a mistake in my opinion. I think all it did was boost cynicism towards this album. If it really was an accurate reflection of the entire album, I would get it, but it's really not, so I don't.
04:11 PM on 10/06/12
TomWhaley
The Secondside
User Info.
I dont get the hate for Kill the DJ. It's not clever or particularly great lyrically but its a catchy up beat song. Doesnt sound like a green day song though. It sounds more like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I reckon if they wrote it people would be raving about it.
I don't know what Red Hot Chili Peppers you're listening to, but they'd actually create an energetic groove that actually moves with their bassist, drummer and guitarist. This song is just flat out boring.
08:47 PM on 10/06/12
FTank
Blank
User Info.
Your point about how their setting such a high bar puts them at an awkward position is 110% correct. That's why breaking through with a record like American Idiot is such a double-edged sword: It becomes immortalized as one of the great punk records ever, but then again, it doesn't leave you a clear path of where to go while simultaneously skyrocketing expectations.

For the most part, I'm going to withhold my judgment until all three records come out, because if they weren't all meant to connect, there wouldn't have been a point to this form of release. I will say that what they seem to be doing is a pretty logical step forward from the rock opera records. Uno! wasn't their finest work, no, but I highly doubt it will be the best of the three. It would be nonsensical to release the best first and let the next two pail in comparison. Thus, this really doesn't impact my excitement for Dos and Tres any one bit.

The only puzzling thing to me is their choice to have Kill the DJ be the first song they show off. I'm sure at some point, they have written a worse song. I don't even think it's so bad that they couldn't make a video for it eventually. However, having that be your first step forward is a mistake in my opinion. I think all it did was boost cynicism towards this album. If it really was an accurate reflection of the entire album, I would get it, but it's really not, so I don't.
I like how you think. Really agree with everything you said there. However, the first single was actually Oh Love.
09:32 PM on 10/06/12
ladedadada
The first rule of flying is love.
User Info.
Amazing review. Everyone always talks about Say Anything not living up to ...iaRB. I'm like, "You wanna talk about not living up...?" I reach for Green Day and American Idiot. But to be honest I usually end up citing Weezer instead.
09:34 PM on 10/06/12
ladedadada
The first rule of flying is love.
User Info.
I don't know what Red Hot Chili Peppers you're listening to, but they'd actually create an energetic groove that actually moves with their bassist, drummer and guitarist. This song is just flat out boring.
...like the Red Hot Chili Peppers have been since Californication came out?

j/k just trolling but not really
10:27 PM on 10/06/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Most people who like old Green Day didn't really like those two albums, especially the latter of the two. That's what I mean.
07:44 AM on 10/07/12
alilbravetoaste
http://www.thefairweathered.com/
User Info.
Most people who like old Green Day didn't really like those two albums, especially the latter of the two. That's what I mean.
I know I can agree on 21st, but American Idiot? They were playing stadiums because of that album, all the GD fans I know just love it so that's why I was confused. to each their own
08:44 AM on 10/07/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I know I can agree on 21st, but American Idiot? They were playing stadiums because of that album, all the GD fans I know just love it so that's why I was confused. to each their own
I agree with you. American idiot was different but it was well executed, fresh, and unlike anything on the music market at the time. It was a big sound and it rocked hard. 21CB felt more like American Idiot bsides that they had considered putting on AI but it would disrupt the flow.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums