Password

Album Review

Hostage Calm - Please Remain Calm Album Cover

Hostage Calm - Please Remain Calm

Reviewed by
Hostage Calm - Please Remain Calm
Release Date: October 9, 2012
Record Label: Run For Cover
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Sorry. I can’t do it. I refuse to do it. I’ll declare it throughout my modestly sized apartment complex (okay, I really won’t do that). I just cannot not remain calm about Hostage Calm’s stunning new album.

Cheesy pun aside, you won’t find anything like Please Remain Calm, an album that may go down as a cult classic within the scene. And I use the term “scene” very loosely, as the band’s latest Run For Cover release cannot be pigeonholed into one specific genre. The throwback yet modern sound of the album was painstakingly created with the guidance of producer J. Robbins, whose rugged yet clean production helped create the album’s unique voice. Hostage Calm’s ambitious fusion of punk swagger with soothing pop melodies is dependent on Chris Martin’s voice, which Robbins delicately balances. The progression the Connecticut quintet has made over the years is dazzling, as it'd be hard for one to believe that this band started out as a hardcore act. Please Remain Calm's weaves intricate modern stories amongst a dazzling display of musicianship.

“On Both Eyes” opens the album with Martin’s sweet croon over a fast stop-and-go tempo provided by guitarists Nick Balzano and Tom Chiari, while “Don’t Die On Me Now” has the punk vibe from previous Hostage Calm releases. In fact, the first four tracks get Please Remain Calm off to a killer start. The bouncy “Brokenheartland” features an incredible bridge (bassist Tim Casey and drummer John Ross provide the song’s backbone), while the pop-punk leaning “Woke Up Next To A Body” unleashes an instantly memorable chorus (with Martin sharing vocal duties with Baby Grand’s Greg Moran).

It’s the middle of the album that the band starts expanding on its sound. You’ll clap and stomp along with the easy-going swing of “May Love Prevail” (the sleigh bells are a nice flourish), while “The M Word” tackles marriage over a nice blend of piano and strings. The near a cappella “Patriot” is the closest thing we’ll get to Beach Boys-esque pop now that Mike Love has kicked everyone out of the band. It’s the album’s biggest gamble and it pays off big time – it’s the standout track that takes Hostage Calm to the next level. Martin carries the tune, his voice crafting harmonies you have no problem losing yourself in. It’s an extraordinary song that’ll show up on many “Best Of” lists at the end of the year.

Please Remain Calm closes with the appropriately titled “One Last Salute,” a finale that spans over a multitude of different genres and tempos over a five and a half minute span. It goes from being a restrained pop song to flexing its punk rock muscle before closing with some Pinkerton-ish power riffs. It’s an accumulation of everything heard on Please Remain Calm crammed into one album-defining song.

Heartache, disappointment, and the struggle of growing up and fighting for your rights in today’s America are all captured on Please Remain Calm. It’s required listening for anyone is current going through this or has gone through it, for this is an album about perseverance and not giving up on yourself. It’s the most honest, genuine, and important record you'll hear all year. As stated earlier, there is nothing else like this out there – Please Remain Calm has a distinct voice that cannot be replicated. Only three records have knocked me on my ass this year - this is the fourth. Hostage Calm’s mixture of punk with 60’s pop and the new wave movement of the 80’s have crafted a near-masterpiece, making Please Remain Calm one of the absolute essential albums of 2012.

9.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
04:34 AM on 10/03/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review Drew!!!
04:45 AM on 10/03/12
wall e
Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!
User Info.
Good to see these guys get the attention they deserve
04:47 AM on 10/03/12
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
6 Days is too far away, just give it to me now.

/thatswhatshesaid.
04:50 AM on 10/03/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
6 Days is too far away, just give it to me now.

/thatswhatshesaid.
um, check the front page in like an hour, we're streaming the album today hehe
05:08 AM on 10/03/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Could someone give me a RIYL for his band? I saw they were on tour with Into It. Over It, Make Do and Mend, and Owen which peaked my interest.
05:19 AM on 10/03/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
05:36 AM on 10/03/12
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
Just curious, what were the other 3 albums that knocked you on your ass?
05:38 AM on 10/03/12
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
um, check the front page in like an hour, we're streaming the album today hehe
:O
05:41 AM on 10/03/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Just curious, what were the other 3 albums that knocked you on your ass?
ETID, Frank Ocean, MDAM
05:49 AM on 10/03/12
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
RIYL?
05:53 AM on 10/03/12
leighm13
User Info.
This really is brilliant, I hope people that couldn't get into the S/T give it a chance as while I absolutely love that record, I can see why others may not have been able to get into it, but this seems far more consistent and accessible.

Also, the new version of The "M" Word is stunning.
06:00 AM on 10/03/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I mean, I don't really know what to say, it's just a really diverse unique amazing album worth your time today
06:46 AM on 10/03/12
spaghettti
spo0ky
User Info.
So pumped to listen to this when I get home.
06:53 AM on 10/03/12
permanent
User Info.
Transit, The Get Up Kids & Into It. Over It.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos