11:20 AM on 10/03/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
and that's just BitTorrent
11:22 AM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
does this mean they tend to pay for good music?

also, anybody else notice that these top downloaders are near military bases ?
Common denominator's definitely college towns, and some large ones too: UK is 28k+, FSU is 40k+, and Florida is nearly 50k in terms of enrollment, plus Albany has two schools that equal over 10k together, and Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks is 11k+. Also I have no idea what military base you think is near Lexington; Fort Knox is near LOUISVILLE, not the same thing haha. (I'm from there.) Ft. Knox is over two hours away from Lexington.
11:29 AM on 10/03/12
ChaseTx
What do you use now?
In the car, mostly CDs. I have a few albums on my phone, but it doesn't hold much.
11:32 AM on 10/03/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
I encourage you and others in here to read this:

http://m.stereogum.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&...10&DQ=&DS= 24

Also, for the record, I own a run a limited vinyl record label, so I have my own opinions about buying and owning music, but I agree: why the hell would you buy MP3s?
Yeah, look, it's not like I solely download music, and there are plenty of albums that I'm willing to buy, but I support artists from a variety of different avenues. I go to an average of at least one concert a week, I'll buy merch, I'll buy CDs on occasion, and I've even started getting into vinyl (mostly because my girlfriend has a sweet turntable set up so that eliminates a huge cost). At the same time, however, I'm not adverse to downloading music, either, which I would say I do about equally as much as I buy music.

But the thing is, and here is why I don't really have an issue with it from a moral standpoint, there are so many avenues out there for me to listen to free music. These days, I get the majority of my music not from downloading OR buying it, but through a series of shared Dropbox folders that I've set up with a bunch of my friends. We swap music digitally the same way people used to swap burned CDs or tapes. And in essence, "illegal" downloading is just a broader version of that same thing. I just think it's weird that it's acceptable to burn someone a CD or listen to a song for free on YouTube that someone uploads or stream music from BandCamp or buy used CDs and vinyl (actions that artists never see a profit from), but sharing a digital file is apparently morally reprehensible to some people.
11:32 AM on 10/03/12
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
Sad to hear. Hope people realize sooner rather than later that it isn't ok.

why?
11:33 AM on 10/03/12
davefalcone777
@davidgfalcone
User Info.
RIP Mediafire.
11:35 AM on 10/03/12
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
At least all the top downloaded artists suck.
11:36 AM on 10/03/12
Beej 347
twitter.com/billrepublic
User Info.
That's just outright wrong. Come on man I thought people on this site were above making harsh generalizations about a group of people.

Edit: didn't see the speaking from experience part. I've been around military people my whole life so I get defensive real fast.
haha it's all good, i was talking more about the careless ones i was around while i was in, maybe i got a little too specific though haha
11:38 AM on 10/03/12
Helen Keller.
Moustache Cash Stash
User Info.
Every release in the top 5 should be illegal to even listen to, much less download. The only exception being Jay-Z and Kanye's album, because those two actually know how to rap.
11:45 AM on 10/03/12
ChaseTx
What do you use now?
In the car, mostly CDs. I have a few albums on my phone, but it doesn't hold much.
11:49 AM on 10/03/12
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Common denominator's definitely college towns, and some large ones too: UK is 28k+, FSU is 40k+, and Florida is nearly 50k in terms of enrollment, plus Albany has two schools that equal over 10k together, and Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks is 11k+. Also I have no idea what military base you think is near Lexington; Fort Knox is near LOUISVILLE, not the same thing haha. (I'm from there.) Ft. Knox is over two hours away from Lexington.

Google failed me with my search! Good thing I didn't use "I'm feeling lucky" or else I'd be concerned about the rest of my day. Haha
11:56 AM on 10/03/12
calciumwaste
x
User Info.

^(at 3:30) Hmmm. Using music industry logic and math it costs the music industry $150,000 for each time a song is illegally downloaded, so all this theft have costed the music biz about $113,850,000,000,000 this first half of 2012 lol
I think we can all agree that one download does not cost the music industry $150k. The significance of the $150k number is that it is the maximum damages allowed per act of copyright infringement. But as you noted, it adds up very quickly to an absurd number. When labels sued Limewire for more than the global GDP based on that number they got shot down.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
I use and will always use my iPod classic.
Me too.
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of the primary arguments AGAINST the finger-pointing at file sharing is that many of the albums "stolen" were done by people who would have never bought the album - it's people checking it out because there is a "free" way to do so. I think that's much more applicable on a major act basis though - I think there are plenty of people guilty of downloading an album they would legitimately pay for. I do think services like Spotify are the answer (I've been a subscriber for nearly a year, and I have not illegally downloaded one thing in that year).

Yeah, look, it's not like I solely download music, and there are plenty of albums that I'm willing to buy, but I support artists from a variety of different avenues. I go to an average of at least one concert a week, I'll buy merch, I'll buy CDs on occasion, and I've even started getting into vinyl (mostly because my girlfriend has a sweet turntable set up so that eliminates a huge cost). At the same time, however, I'm not adverse to downloading music, either, which I would say I do about equally as much as I buy music.

But the thing is, and here is why I don't really have an issue with it from a moral standpoint, there are so many avenues out there for me to listen to free music. These days, I get the majority of my music not from downloading OR buying it, but through a series of shared Dropbox folders that I've set up with a bunch of my friends. We swap music digitally the same way people used to swap burned CDs or tapes. And in essence, "illegal" downloading is just a broader version of that same thing. I just think it's weird that it's acceptable to burn someone a CD or listen to a song for free on YouTube that someone uploads or stream music from BandCamp or buy used CDs and vinyl (actions that artists never see a profit from), but sharing a digital file is apparently morally reprehensible to some people.

We have similar views on supporting music, but here's the big issue: we as consumers think we get to decide how the business works. This is a problem that only occurs in digital media - any other product can be regulated within reason. It shouldn't be our call whether we pay for it or not - the technology of today has just made it so we can steal easier.

This.

Also, this thread is going to be awash with various aggressive shitty opinions (on both sides of the issue), isn't it?

Will just say this: It seems to me that there are only two groups of people who get upset over illegal downloading. That would be already-wealthy music executives who are, for the most part, the only people in the business still making money through the sale of music, and holier-than-thou kids on this site.

Most bands are pretty accepting of the whole thing, and giving away music is becoming more and more of a norm that they're taking into their own hands through sites like BandCamp, because they realize that's where the industry is headed. Shit, I've downloaded a handful of albums for free this week at the encouragement of the bands. So, it seems a little weird when Tad182 is trying to tell people that they're in the wrong for expecting to be able to get music for free these days. Especially because who wants to buy mp3s?

I get that bands are accepting of it - I encourage the bands I manage to view this as a reality and to find new ways to profit, because it's not going to change. That said, it bothers me when music fans are so open and heartless about it - at least show a little class and don't openly brag about it. We should be a little disgusted that it's gotten to the point where bands have to accept it.

I buy vinyl cause you can touch it and it has big pictures

Made me laugh - totally true, and I love it.
11:59 AM on 10/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Jack, you should read that Stereogum article I posted.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests