AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Record Sales News - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 128.
12:06 PM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
One of the primary arguments AGAINST the finger-pointing at file sharing is that many of the albums "stolen" were done by people who would have never bought the album - it's people checking it out because there is a "free" way to do so. I think that's much more applicable on a major act basis though - I think there are plenty of people guilty of downloading an album they would legitimately pay for. I do think services like Spotify are the answer (I've been a subscriber for nearly a year, and I have not illegally downloaded one thing in that year).
But artists get very little compensation at all from services like Spotify.
12:07 PM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
I encourage you and others in here to read this:

http://m.stereogum.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&...10&DQ=&DS= 24

Also, for the record, I own a run a limited vinyl record label, so I have my own opinions about buying and owning music, but I agree: why the hell would you buy MP3s?
Can't get this link to work for me, could you try reposting? I think that might be the mobile link..
12:08 PM on 10/03/12
elmakias
Anyone can be a fisherman in May
User Info.
listen to neil young, new radio
12:13 PM on 10/03/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
Going to avoid saying something absurd. The whole college town thing makes sense.
12:15 PM on 10/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Can't get this link to work for me, could you try reposting? I think that might be the mobile link..

I think it'll work if you just remove the "m" in the URL. Sorry, used to the politics forum where loveisdead always fixes my links for me.
12:18 PM on 10/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

They literally get fractions of pennies for 100 plus plays.

May as well stream it on Bandcamp without a download option.
12:18 PM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
I think it'll work if you just remove the "m" in the URL. Sorry, used to the politics forum where loveisdead always fixes my links for me.
Tried that already
12:19 PM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
They literally get fractions of pennies for 100 plus plays.

May as well stream it on Bandcamp without a download option.
Yeah I know, it's insane.

Edit: think I found the Stereogum article. Is this it? http://stereogum.com/1166392/debatin...es/lead-story/
12:19 PM on 10/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Tried that already

Dang. I'll have to do it when I get home...unless someone in here can be a bro
12:20 PM on 10/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Yeah I know, it's insane.

Edit: think I found the Stereogum article. Is this it? http://stereogum.com/1166392/debatin...es/lead-story/

That's it!
12:20 PM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
Sweet will read as soon as I get home from work.
12:21 PM on 10/03/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's the biggest flaw - artists get very, very little money from those services. However, I think Rdio's new promotion is FANTASTIC (each new paying subscriber a band brings in nets the band $10), and I do think it's the future.

And even though it's sometimes fractions of a cent - it's still better than nothing, and it's still measurable.
12:24 PM on 10/03/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
One of the primary arguments AGAINST the finger-pointing at file sharing is that many of the albums "stolen" were done by people who would have never bought the album - it's people checking it out because there is a "free" way to do so. I think that's much more applicable on a major act basis though - I think there are plenty of people guilty of downloading an album they would legitimately pay for. I do think services like Spotify are the answer (I've been a subscriber for nearly a year, and I have not illegally downloaded one thing in that year).

I know that that is kind of a cliche argument, but honestly, since I opened myself up to downloading (which was only about a year ago), I've gotten into so many more artists that I probably would have otherwise, and these are artists that I've gone back and dropped more money on in the form of t-shirts, tickets, and CDs. And here's the thing, my interest in those artists led me to check out similar or complimentary acts, who I also then gave money to. So, yeah, it's a very overused position, maybe, but it's also one that holds up. I don't make a ton of money after bills and expenses, but realistically a good third of my disposable income (which includes money for groceries) goes towards supporting artists. So it's not like I'm a lazy freeloading consumer; I really do just use it to make more informed decisions on where and who I spend it on.

Quote:
We have similar views on supporting music, but here's the big issue: we as consumers think we get to decide how the business works. This is a problem that only occurs in digital media - any other product can be regulated within reason. It shouldn't be our call whether we pay for it or not - the technology of today has just made it so we can steal easier.
Yeah I mean, this is a difficult post to respond to in the limited amount of time I have, but I guess at the end of the day I just view listening to a song on my iPod that I didn't pay for the same way I do streaming music that a band readily puts on the Internet for free. Like I said, it's just a method of previewing music to determine what I like and want to continue pursuing. I just listen to all my music on my iPod (or on rare occasion vinyl), so it's just how I go about listening to it instead of streaming it on BandCamp or something, which is what I'd be doing instead (I don't have a smartphone, so that's not an option).

Quote:
I get that bands are accepting of it - I encourage the bands I manage to view this as a reality and to find new ways to profit, because it's not going to change. That said, it bothers me when music fans are so open and heartless about it - at least show a little class and don't openly brag about it. We should be a little disgusted that it's gotten to the point where bands have to accept it.
I mean, is it heartless? I'm a little put off by the fact that you think I was bragging about not paying for music. Especially considering one of those bands still got ten dollars from me for a $5 t-shirt that same night. But if a band wants me to listen to them badly enough that they'll give me a couple of mp3s for free, I don't see the problem. I don't write or record music as often as I'd like, but if I were doing it more regularly I'd absolutely do the same thing. My point in even mentioning that wasn't to show off how many free albums I get (or whatever you think I was trying to say), but just that it's becoming more and more obvious that putting music out there digitally is simply not a worthwhile commodity for most people.

At this point, digital music - the actual songs and albums - are being used primarily as promotional materials by smaller bands to make a name for themselves and garner interest. Again, it's not that I'm trying to be greedy about it, but if I spent all day at work listening to Bandcamp on my computer, songs that artists willingly publish knowing that the won't get paid every time someone listens to them, no one would have a problem with it. And it's the same thing with physical CD-Rs and used CDs. I burned my friend the new Mumford and Sons album the other day, so he'll be able to listen to those songs for free. And I bought some used vinyl at a thrift store, so that means some wholly unrelated third party will make some money off the sale of that band's music, but they won't see a cent. Yet doing this never seems to draw the ire of people who get so worked up about free digital files. And I've just never seen an even halfway decent argument that can tell me how they're any different.
12:28 PM on 10/03/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
In the car, mostly CDs. I have a few albums on my phone, but it doesn't hold much.
Ah, yeah, I don't drive, so even when I do buy CDs, they just get ripped and put onto my iPod immediately.
12:30 PM on 10/03/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
That's the biggest flaw - artists get very, very little money from those services. However, I think Rdio's new promotion is FANTASTIC (each new paying subscriber a band brings in nets the band $10), and I do think it's the future.

And even though it's sometimes fractions of a cent - it's still better than nothing, and it's still measurable.
Yeah that's an awesome idea, but no way Spotify will adopt that. Also, I feel like primarily people who are more towards the "hardcore" (as in super-enthusiastic, not the genre haha) end of the music fan spectrum tend to choose Rdio anyway (I think I know two people who have it outside of this site, whereas everyone has Spotify), and they are the ones who would go out and drop $25 on vinyl or pay $20 for a show and buy a $15 t-shirt anyway I would think...so the whole thing is kind of cyclical I guess, because a lot of those people probably torrent records and then buy on vinyl and go to shows (or at least I know I do).

That's true in a way that something is better than nothing in terms of compensation, however if I were an artist I would still be pretty pissed that the value of my music was being set at a fraction of a cent. Ed Droste (of Grizzly Bear) posted some interesting thoughts about Spotify as well as the AmazonMP3 super-discounted album thingy a few weeks ago on the band's Facebook page. Also, I assume you've read the NY Magazine article about Grizzly Bear that's making the rounds--if you haven't you should regardless of whether you like the band or not (although you also should like them haha).

Furthermore Spotify plays still don't count on the charts, which sucks especially for mid-level artists who recently made the jump from the indies to a major label and are trying to justify their existence and the necessity of tour support and promotion, etc. largely through record sales.

Sorry this turned into a novel.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums