Username
Password

02:49 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
ForlrnPerplxity
Call me Brosnan
Everywhere
Male - 28 Years Old
2006 was honesty the most trying time I had watching a Cardinals regular season. And then the playoffs happened.

The 2004 and 2005 Cardinals were by far the most fun to watch of any team I've followed and then they don't close.

This year was back and forth. You can make a case that they were the best team outside of the Nationals in the NL, despite the win-loss record.
02:51 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Even if Stras pitched, Gio, Zim and EJ (who still would have pitched) have all sucked.

Such a stupid argument.

If you think Strasburg sitting on the bench for the playoffs doesn't play a factor you're crazy.
03:11 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
2006 was honesty the most trying time I had watching a Cardinals regular season. And then the playoffs happened.

The 2004 and 2005 Cardinals were by far the most fun to watch of any team I've followed and then they don't close.

This year was back and forth. You can make a case that they were the best team outside of the Nationals in the NL, despite the win-loss record.

Yup. They have such a solid team. I hate to admit it, but it's true.
03:14 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
If you think Strasburg sitting on the bench for the playoffs doesn't play a factor you're crazy.
so much this. I knew this would happen. The Nats could have Strasburg out there giving the team confidence they can win instead of having some Detwiler dude out there.
03:23 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Recovery Room
WIZKIDS!
Neverland
Male
There's no way to know, that for sure. He was tipping pitches his last few starts and it's not like he doesn't get emotional and rocked from time to time. All starters so far have been knocked around, fair to guess Stras would have been too.

Also, is Stras going to make up that run differential on offense as well? I know he's a good hitter and all, but I don't see him bringing in all those stranded base runners. I don't see him getting everyone not named Desmond and Zimmerman hitting.
03:24 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
so much this. I knew this would happen. The Nats could have Strasburg out there giving the team confidence they can win instead of having some Detwiler dude out there.

I don't get how you can say it doesn't change anything with a straight face. I know as a fan I am more confident with Cole Hamels pitching than Kyle Kendrick. I can't imagine how much it changes the players.
03:25 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
There's no way to know, that for sure. He was tipping pitches his last few starts and it's not like he doesn't get emotional and rocked from time to time. All starters so far have been knocked around, fair to guess Stras would have been too.

Also, is Stras going to make up that run differential on offense as well? I know he's a good hitter and all, but I don't see him bringing in all those stranded base runners. I don't see him getting everyone not named Desmond and Zimmerman hitting.

Strasburg is the best pitcher in your rotation... How does it not change things? Substituting him for Det makes a big difference.
03:26 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Recovery Room
WIZKIDS!
Neverland
Male
What does that have to do with their ZERO runs today, though? Det was also one of their best pitchers in the second half of the season and down the stretch.

I love Stras and his potential, but it's not like his stuff would be guaranteed and isn't prone to getting lit up as well. Also, he would only cover ONE game. They haven't been good enough to win any (got lucky in Game 1) so it's all moot anyway.

I just don't think this was their year -- with Stras or not.
03:27 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Recovery Room
WIZKIDS!
Neverland
Male
Strasburg is the best pitcher in your rotation... How does it not change things? Substituting him for Det makes a big difference.
Go look at the numbers and see if he was the best pitcher. Will he be? More than likely, yes, but he wasn't this year. Up until now, they also did pretty damn well without him, no?
03:42 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
What does that have to do with their ZERO runs today, though? Det was also one of their best pitchers in the second half of the season and down the stretch.

I love Stras and his potential, but it's not like his stuff would be guaranteed and isn't prone to getting lit up as well. Also, he would only cover ONE game. They haven't been good enough to win any (got lucky in Game 1) so it's all moot anyway.

I just don't think this was their year -- with Stras or not.
right, so the offense was bad today, it happens. But getting down early like they did because of Edwin Jackson's awful pitching has a negative affect on the offense too, they start pressing. It's a totally different mindset going from "shit, we need to score 5 runs just to be in the game when Jackson is pitching" to "we only need 2 runs to win this game because we have Stras on the mound." Strasburg gives the other players around him confidence.
03:43 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Recovery Room
WIZKIDS!
Neverland
Male
right, so the offense was bad today, it happens. But getting down early like they did because of Edwin Jackson's awful pitching has a negative affect on the offense too, they start pressing. It's a totally different mindset going from "shit, we need to score 5 runs just to be in the game when Jackson is pitching" to "we only need 2 runs to win this game because we have Stras on the mound." Strasburg gives the other players around him confidence.
That's a fair point.

But there's just no way to know either way.

Also, the real issue is that they let Teddy win too early, haha.
03:43 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Go look at the numbers and see if he was the best pitcher. Will he be? More than likely, yes, but he wasn't this year. Up until now, they also did pretty damn well without him, no?

I know Gio was the better pitcher this year, but Strasburg is the better pitcher of the two. He's your number one.
04:02 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Recovery Room
WIZKIDS!
Neverland
Male
I know Gio was the better pitcher this year, but Strasburg is the better pitcher of the two. He's your number one.
True.

And I don't mean to be snippy, just incredibly frustrated right now and torn, haha.
04:03 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
whitelightning7
Registered Member
Hays, KS
Male - 21 Years Old
From 2000 to 2005, they won five of the six NL Central titles, averaged 96 wins, and won no titles. Then in '06, they won the World Series with 83 wins, 13th most in baseball. Last year, they won it with 90, tied for 8th most in baseball. This year, they won 88, tied for 11th most.

It's getting quite weird.

I'm a Cardinals fan, and this still blows my mind. We're just good at the right time I guess.
04:23 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
True.

And I don't mean to be snippy, just incredibly frustrated right now and torn, haha.

It's fine. I just think having Strasburg puts the nats in a better position to win the series. That's all.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets