AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Stickup Kid - Nothing About Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Stickup Kid - Nothing About Me

Reviewed by: justbradley (10/04/12)
Stickup KidNothing About Me
Record Label: Adeline Records
Release Date: June 5th, 2012

San Jose, CA pop-punk quintet Stickup Kid is a band I haven’t been into for very long, but this is a band I wish I got into much sooner. When I discovered them, I checked out their first EP entitled The Sincerest Form of Flattery, which they had for free download for a brief time a few months ago when their newest EP Nothing About Me was released. At about 14 minutes, this EP really doesn’t do much for me in terms of lasting value, but it’s very enjoyable. Pop-punk really comes down to personal preference, because a lot of the bands do sound quite similar. Stickup Kid is a band that does rather stick out from the crowd, even if they’re not quite the most diverse pop-punk band, so to speak.

The EP starts off with “Breathing,” which is a two-minute pop-punk burst; it’s not the best track on here, but this track really seems to serve as an “intro,” because this one of two songs on here that are under 2 minutes. Immediately, the things that stick out to me most is vocalist Tony Geravesh; most pop-punk bands are distinct based on their vocalist alone, or at least, that’s a huge contributing factor, and he’s one of the best vocalists of the scene. He has clean vocals, and a “shout,” so to speak. Essentially, he reminds me of the vocalist of Such Gold, which is really cool. Next track “Lighthouse” has some very impressive instrumentation in the beginning, and it’s one of the few moments on here that does show some variety. This is a great pop-punk track, and my favorite track on the EP, hands down. Third track “I’m Dreaming of Kenny Rogers” is another two-minute track, but this one is far less aggressive than the first track. Or at least, a little bit less, anyway. It still really works, and I think this track serves as an interlude, if anything. The last two tracks are a one-two punch, meaning they’re quite awesome. “You Are Captain Hook” has a rather interesting sound, along with some of my favorite lyrics as well. Last track “The Weather Outside Is Weather” has my favorite title of the EP, being that it’s from the film Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but the music itself is quite great, too.

The whole EP is a nice, 14-minute pop-punk EP. It’s nothing more, and nothing less, really. This band really doesn’t do anything quite different, but they’re not terrible whatsoever. They’re one of the rising stars of pop-punk, and with good reason. This should be an enjoyable EP for any fan of the genre, and I’m surprised I hadn’t listened to them much sooner.

Recommended If You LikeForever Came Calling, Such Gold. I Call Fives, With the Punches, pop-punk, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Breathing
2. Lighthouse
3. Dreaming of Kenny Rogers
4. You Are Captain Hook
5. The Weather Outside Is Weather

Stickup Kid is:
Bo McDowell - Guitar
Tony Geravesh - Vocals
Jonathan McMaster - Bass
Curtis Wallace - Guitar
Cameron MacBain - Drums

www.facebook.com/stickupkidca

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News