AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 179
12:28 PM on 10/05/12
JayDanielHammer
User Info.
As for all the people who are making jokes saying "Who's Frank Turner?" I think we should be laughing at you, not the other way around. The dude played the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Was not joking.

And the Olympics? Who gives a fuck.
12:34 PM on 10/05/12
JayDanielHammer
User Info.
Dude the No. 1 hits album has 30 songs.

I owned that. That was my intro to them.
12:36 PM on 10/05/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
That's me with The Airborne Toxic Event
Can't really blame you for that haha. I love them, but they aren't necessarily the easiest band to like. Most people who I know who have listened to them weren't huge on them.
12:37 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I owned that. That was my intro to them.

Probably for a lot of people. It's a good intro, but there's plenty of good stuff left off, obviously.
12:40 PM on 10/05/12
JayDanielHammer
User Info.
Probably for a lot of people. It's a good intro, but there's plenty of good stuff left off, obviously.

Completely off topic but I did the same with The Smiths and found their other work much more fulfilling. Than the Beatles I mean.
12:48 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Completely off topic but I did the same with The Smiths and found their other work much more fulfilling. Than the Beatles I mean.

? You like The Beatles more than The Smiths. Or you like The Smiths catalog more than their greatest hits material?
12:50 PM on 10/05/12
JayDanielHammer
User Info.
? You like The Beatles more than The Smiths. Or you like The Smiths catalog more than their greatest hits material?

I like both hits albums but then was exposed to the rest of both and enjoy the Smiths more than the Beatles.

I should have made it even more confusing.
12:58 PM on 10/05/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
I just don't get the hype. I don't think they're bad, just immensely overrated
I'm just so interested in hearing your evidence for this statement.
01:01 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I like both hits albums but then was exposed to the rest of both and enjoy the Smiths more than the Beatles.

I should have made it even more confusing.

Haha I got it. I like the Smiths, but it's the Beatles for me.

Having said that, I think The Kinks are one of the most underrated bands in history if we're talking about 60s bands.
01:02 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'm just so interested in hearing your evidence for this statement.

This is my gripe. "Overrated" compared to whom?
01:20 PM on 10/05/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
This is my gripe. "Overrated" compared to whom?
My assumption is that people who say shit like this haven't spent a lot of time listening to The Beatles (which is fine, whatever), mostly because their palette isn't adjusted to older music with lower production quality, etc. And because, in 2012, listening to their early stuff does feel really dated and kind of vapid. I mean, to really appreciate their work, you have to listen to like A Hard Day's Night and go on from there. And at that point, they become less accessible, and I can honestly see why someone who listens primarily to pop-punk or like modern pop music (which is fine, whatever) would have trouble getting comfortable with a lot of their later work, since it is, by and large, pretty complex in its structure and arrangements (especially when compared to like Saves the Day or whatever). It just requires more of the listener than they're used to, and so instead of putting in that effort (or maybe they just don't know how - which isn't an insult or criticism, btw), they just immediately dislike it.

In the end, it obviously doesn't matter what other people do or don't listen to, but I just don't understand why they feel the need to make claims like the band is "overrated" or, worse, not any good, when that's just objectively wrong. And I'm not even like a huge fan (I only own like two full-lengths and a couple of "hits" collections), but c'mon.
01:41 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
My assumption is that people who say shit like this haven't spent a lot of time listening to The Beatles (which is fine, whatever), mostly because their palette isn't adjusted to older music with lower production quality, etc. And because, in 2012, listening to their early stuff does feel really dated and kind of vapid. I mean, to really appreciate their work, you have to listen to like A Hard Day's Night and go on from there. And at that point, they become less accessible, and I can honestly see why someone who listens primarily to pop-punk or like modern pop music (which is fine, whatever) would have trouble getting comfortable with a lot of their later work, since it is, by and large, pretty complex in its structure and arrangements (especially when compared to like Saves the Day or whatever). It just requires more of the listener than they're used to, and so instead of putting in that effort (or maybe they just don't know how - which isn't an insult or criticism, btw), they just immediately dislike it.

In the end, it obviously doesn't matter what other people do or don't listen to, but I just don't understand why they feel the need to make claims like the band is "overrated" or, worse, not any good, when that's just objectively wrong. And I'm not even like a huge fan (I only own like two full-lengths and a couple of "hits" collections), but c'mon.

Perfectly stated.
02:23 PM on 10/05/12
Sakarazu
Just a little nervous from the fall
User Info.
I love a lot of old music
02:27 PM on 10/05/12
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
Have you listened to more than "15 songs?"

Yeah. After the top 15 it's not very good.
02:28 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Yeah. After the top 15 it's not very good.

What does that even mean? Straight trolling.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos