Username
Password

Comments: Page 12
Displaying posts 165 - 179 of 179
01:30 PM on 10/05/12
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
My assumption is that people who say shit like this haven't spent a lot of time listening to The Beatles (which is fine, whatever), mostly because their palette isn't adjusted to older music with lower production quality, etc. And because, in 2012, listening to their early stuff does feel really dated and kind of vapid. I mean, to really appreciate their work, you have to listen to like A Hard Day's Night and go on from there. And at that point, they become less accessible, and I can honestly see why someone who listens primarily to pop-punk or like modern pop music (which is fine, whatever) would have trouble getting comfortable with a lot of their later work, since it is, by and large, pretty complex in its structure and arrangements (especially when compared to like Saves the Day or whatever). It just requires more of the listener than they're used to, and so instead of putting in that effort (or maybe they just don't know how - which isn't an insult or criticism, btw), they just immediately dislike it.

In the end, it obviously doesn't matter what other people do or don't listen to, but I just don't understand why they feel the need to make claims like the band is "overrated" or, worse, not any good, when that's just objectively wrong. And I'm not even like a huge fan (I only own like two full-lengths and a couple of "hits" collections), but c'mon.

I know how to listen to music. Grew up listening to a lot of old music.
01:32 PM on 10/05/12
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
What does that even mean? Straight trolling.

No. I've listened to a lot of their music. You said have you listened to more than 15 of their songs. They put out so much music in such a short period of time that they put out a lot of garbage.
01:38 PM on 10/05/12
Fringe
highfive
User Info.
Have you listened to more than "15 songs?"

Lol. Dude you seriously need to tone it down a notch
01:40 PM on 10/05/12
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
You can't say he doesn't make a valid point, I mean, if the whole "refrigerator for his fur coats" thing is true, then he does make a point.
01:48 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Lol. Dude you seriously need to tone it down a notch

Sure, Dad.
01:52 PM on 10/05/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
I know how to listen to music. Grew up listening to a lot of old music.
Alright man. I'm inclined to believe you, but you have yet to provide any sort of rationale or useful criticism to prove it.
01:56 PM on 10/05/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
I love how Frank Turner reads my mind and announces everything to his public.
02:24 PM on 10/05/12
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
Alright man. I'm inclined to believe you, but you have yet to provide any sort of rationale or useful criticism to prove it.

Except for the giant catalogue of music they released and less than half of it is even listenable
02:35 PM on 10/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Hahaha OK

DEFEND POP PUNK lulz
04:17 PM on 10/05/12
PopPunkKid
extremely old username
User Info.
Only on this site will someone get crucified for saying TWY or NFG aren't the best bands ever but calling out John Fucking Lennon is perfectly accepted.

This.
12:28 PM on 10/06/12
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Frank Turner and The Beatles getting so much hate in one thread really breaks my heart

It breaks mine too.
04:04 PM on 10/06/12
mrnubnub
User Info.

and yet we still get this:

My assumption is that people who say shit like this haven't spent a lot of time listening to The Beatles (which is fine, whatever), mostly because their palette isn't adjusted to older music with lower production quality, etc. And because, in 2012, listening to their early stuff does feel really dated and kind of vapid. I mean, to really appreciate their work, you have to listen to like A Hard Day's Night and go on from there. And at that point, they become less accessible, and I can honestly see why someone who listens primarily to pop-punk or like modern pop music (which is fine, whatever) would have trouble getting comfortable with a lot of their later work, since it is, by and large, pretty complex in its structure and arrangements (especially when compared to like Saves the Day or whatever). It just requires more of the listener than they're used to, and so instead of putting in that effort (or maybe they just don't know how - which isn't an insult or criticism, btw), they just immediately dislike it.

In the end, it obviously doesn't matter what other people do or don't listen to, but I just don't understand why they feel the need to make claims like the band is "overrated" or, worse, not any good, when that's just objectively wrong. And I'm not even like a huge fan (I only own like two full-lengths and a couple of "hits" collections), but c'mon.
02:56 AM on 10/09/12
DeadPoetic
sr mod
User Info.
You can dislike 'Imagine' and still like the Beatles... just sayin'.
11:55 PM on 10/09/12
albatrossflyer
movies never made you famous
User Info.
you did not read the article.
Actually, I did. It's a great song musically, regardless of whether you think the words are pretentious or hypocritical or whatever.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos