Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
02:41 PM on 10/08/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Honestly, if anyone other than Darnielle was singing lyrics such as “Every dream's a good dream/ even awful dreams are good dreams if you're doing it right” or “I hide down in my corner/ because I like my corner” it could come across as trite or cheesy, however his trademark nasal vocals sound so genuine, so endearing that you can’t help but believe in what he’s saying.

This seems awfully close to being lifted from the Pitchfork review and then simplified...

("I hide down in my corner, because I like my corner," he seethes on opening cut of his latest album, Transcendental Youth) stands a sizable and defiant distance from what's cool. His songs hinge upon lines ("Every dream's a good dream, even awful dreams are good dreams if you're doing it right") that would run the risk of sounding like the inspirational posters that lined the walls of your 9th grade English teacher's classroom if Darnielle delivered them with anything less than the tenacity of a rabid dog playing tug-of-war for the last bone on earth.
Are these lyrics not fairly prominent lyrics? As Jeremy has said, we comment on completely different things, the only similarity is the fact that we quote on the same lyrics. I'm pretty sure simplification is not talking about a completely different thing in a completely different way.

Also, copying Pitchfork? Dude. Who does that?

Out of wonder, have you listened to this record?
12:06 PM on 10/18/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Great review, man. 10 for lyrics is well deserved. This record is too relevant to my life, I get scared that I'm on a reality show where everyone watches me

Definitely picking this one up, great review

Kelly, i'm glad we are friends. great review, even better album. definitely top 2 of the year for me.

I like your review Kelly! I'm a long-time fan of The Mountain Goats and an English teacher, and I appreciate your style and care for the material. There's no "but," I greatly enjoyed this review. Phuck the h8ers! Keep writing!

Thanks very much guys! It's appreciated!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests