Username
Password

01:56 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
SeanGather
It's too bad she won't live
Glasgow, Scotland
Male - 29 Years Old
Tetra's post kind of says it all, to be honest. Excellent analysis of the film, totally spot on. I first watched the film early in my cinephile life and I could tell immediately that it had something to say even when my friends focused on the gung-ho-fuck-yeah fireworks. Seeing it again a couple of years later was a revelation. One of this generations finest pieces of satire.
05:31 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
TJ Wells
goodbye sadness
Portland, OR
Male - 26 Years Old
How do you guys want me to select the next movie? Because Malcolm said he would be out of town 'til the 20th. Just a randomizer?
06:09 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
ACTUALLY South Korea
Female
How do you guys want me to select the next movie? Because Malcolm said he would be out of town 'til the 20th. Just a randomizer?

The actual order in the original thread is supposed to be the order we're going in, but that's arbitrary.

We definitely wanted to put Starship Troopers at the top since it was in high demand though. Any movie that now fits that category can be put at the top.
06:53 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
williek311
Richmond, VA
Male - 27 Years Old
Carver from the Wire is in this

He was a good soldier.
07:13 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
SeanGather
It's too bad she won't live
Glasgow, Scotland
Male - 29 Years Old
Carver from the Wire is in this

So is Hank Schrader!
04:16 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
TJ Wells
goodbye sadness
Portland, OR
Male - 26 Years Old
Everyone good with My Winnipeg for next week then?
04:48 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
Next week is one thing, but when are we going to talk about this one?
05:39 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
TJ Wells
goodbye sadness
Portland, OR
Male - 26 Years Old
Isn't that what we're doing?
05:39 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Star Slight

Musta missed him who does he play?
I know Lassie from Psych is in it which was great
06:06 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
Isn't that what we're doing?

I am hoping that someone who writes as often and lengthy as you would add more than "it's prescient".
02:04 PM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
I didn't realize that the week had gone by so fast - still haven't had a chance to watch this, been so busy. Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow or Wednesday, but looks like I've got My Winnipeg to do now, too.
05:17 PM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male - 28 Years Old
A fairly obvious satire on militant fascism. The propaganda videos compared with the actual battles are really cool. Hollywood style propaganda videos drawing in hollywood style celebrity looking soldiers and placing them on an absolutely brutal battlefield. Although the theme never comes together at the end. They still seem pretty gung-ho about killing the bugs 'america fuck yeah' style, even after we find out that the bugs were pretty harmless until we invaded them. I really like that about it. The film itself is a kind of a propaganda film.
I do seem to enjoy this movie more as time goes on.

And Tetra, good post. Hard to add much to it.
10:56 PM on 10/16/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Just finished it. Would still like to spend some time taking it in. I think it works well as satire on how "War makes fascists of us all," for sure - not entirely sure how much it works as either a science fiction or a war film. It feels as cartoony as something like Galaxy Quest at points - even the deaths get over-the-top (which totally supports the tone of how war is justified, and that the people who fight it are nothing but cogs in the fascist machine).

Hm. Agree with what's been said - Tetra covered a lot of bases as far as discussion goes. Will have to take another look tomorrow.
11:09 PM on 10/16/12 
User Info.
Theseventhson
As we all know, black evening dresses are not as academic as marriage dresses. Every babe needs a absorbing black dresses to accomplish her altered and appropriate in the agleam black party. Of course, the choices of colors are capital if you are traveling to accept black evening dresses.
Light colors like ablaze chicken and ablaze biscuit are not recommended here, because they attending abundant like white cast in the able light. Black dresses in aphotic colors attending abundant bigger than those in ablaze colors. Even you adopt ablaze colors, aces those balmy colors, such as ablaze green, shrimp red.
When you abrasion an black dress, you cann't abrasion a veil, so if your accoutrements are not slim, abrasion a capote to block, or aces an black dress with big flowers on the top. If you wish two black dresses, it would be abundant that one is red or violet, and the added is dejected or green.
Evening dresses accept assertive requirements for figures. Brides can accept wvening dresses with creamy brim and abrasion a shawl, authoritative you adroit and noble. Thin brides accept adapted black dresses, but with big annual adornment on the chest or achievement to accent the changeable beauty. While, if you've a baby figure, it would be acute that you abrasion a abbreviate black dress.
It's not an simple affair for you to accept the absolute black dresses in ever pretty and you should yield abundant time and efforts analytic for it. Always accumulate your figure, derma accent and personality into application afore you accomplish your decision.

This more or less covers my thoughts.
11:27 PM on 10/16/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
It feels as cartoony as something like Galaxy Quest at points - even the deaths get over-the-top (which totally supports the tone of how war is justified, and that the people who fight it are nothing but cogs in the fascist machine).

I take it differently. The extreme and over-the-top deaths are meant to underscore the reality of the war in contrast with how easy and effortless the propaganda commercials make it look. It is a commentary on how we look at war today. We consider ourselves vastly superior to our enemy, but we still see limbs blown off, beheadings, and so on. It is a reality that military intelligence understands but never tells the recruits or young people. Instead, they see bad comedy where little children are dressed as soldiers, as if it is childs' play.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets