Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 13 posts
11:35 AM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Dre, I fucking love your writing style.

Can't wait to crush this album.
great review. this band is about the furthest thing from my cup of tea, but really enjoyed the insights into this style.
Aw, thanks guys. I really wish more people listened to this type of music on the site, because I would've looked forward to discussing some of the points I made that either listeners felt were or weren't going on.
11:41 AM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Would this compare more to The Chariot, or something like Glassjaw?
Nope. This would be more comparable to bands within the NYHC spectrum, like Breakdown.
11:43 AM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
... Trapped Under Ice?
Yes. Closer to that style.
12:02 PM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I'd say that they are closer to Ceremony than Trapped Under Ice. This is alright, his vocals seem to have gotten worse.
I still say it's more of a NYHC style, but of course I used TUI because out of the three bands he suggested (Chariot, Glassjaw, or TUI), they are the closest.

Also, I agree that his vocals differ now (perhaps one could say "worsened" or just ill-fitted), and that production does not suit their style whatsoever. I'd argue that they were trying too hard.
12:18 PM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
See I think the production works for everything in the band but Lee's vocals. I like the way the guitar, drums, bass and Spencer's vocals sound, Lee's voice just doesn't sound like it fits in with the rest of it.
Ah, gotcha.

Personally, I think that TT is meant to have that naturally dirty recording to capture their carefree essence which doesn't always translate in cleaner production. It sounds very contained.
12:58 PM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Great review, I new to check this out. Also I love the old toy machine videos, so that made me even more excited
Thanks. See though, it attempts to emulate that frenzy, but it doesn't quite hit the mark like their previous efforts. Use your own judgement, though. I believe this was their make or break album.
01:14 PM on 10/09/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Just to clarify my thoughts, I felt that 119 and OF didn't do Trash Talk complete justice. While the album's fair in some of its tracks, it all starts to sound kind of bland in a way, as Ozgur said. While we shouldn't harp on scores for individual aspects of the album, I gave creativity a "6.5", and the lasting value isn't too strong, either.
12:44 AM on 10/10/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Cool, glad you dug it Dan!

The Tyler and Hodgy track feels out of place but for some reason it's one of my favorite songs on the record. Really digging this, it's my new workout album. nice review Dre.
Thanks, Drew. It does feel out of place, but perhaps they wanted it that way? What do you think about Lee's vocals this time around and the production versus their previous albums?
12:47 AM on 10/10/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Also, though I went with saying that the album title is a clear reversal of "911" solely due to the band's politicized nature, it's the street name where they grew up live. I wrote the intro as is because it serves as food for thought.
11:35 AM on 10/10/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
but I've heard some poor things about this album especially. :/
Yep, and all of those poor things have been discussed, haha.
07:50 PM on 10/13/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
119 is not the street they grew up on
Yeah - I mistyped accidentally. I glanced at the P4K interview which mentioned it briefly and quickly wrote that, versus where they live. :)
07:26 PM on 10/22/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Nice work, and again; I like the review, despite that first miscommunication. I tried to email my explanation for the displaced anger, but I was still a AP noobie, and was denied.
Haha. Stick around!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version