Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 11 posts
06:22 AM on 10/10/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome review Jack, and one that has me even more hyped for the album. Just one question: why a 7.5 for the lyrics (Not that that's a bad score or anything by any means)? Could you elaborate on that a bit? It just sticks out a bit since all of the other scores on the sidebar are between 9 and 10. (I'm not questioning your review or anything like that, just genuinely interested).
Actually meant for it to be an 8.5! But to answer your question, some of the songs are a tad more simple - not a bad thing by any means, but not deserving of a 9 or 10. If there was a melodies category, I'd give it a 14 - they're pretty much perfect across the entire record.
06:50 AM on 10/10/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My first reaction was that 95% seems absurd, but I guess I'll have to see for myself. My optimism is very cautious given their recent output
It's truly that good. Assuming you're a fan of Cities (you know, because we all are), I can safely say this album is superior - hopefully that lets you know how serious I am about the score.
11:53 AM on 10/10/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
can someone explain to me what the album cover is/means?
Coming in my interview with Stephen - should have that up next Monday (transcribing 30 minutes of a fascinating interview takes FOREVER).
04:30 PM on 10/10/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am very excited. However, I loved the first two songs they released from Dark, Drew gave it a 90%, and I was very let down. I don't want to get my hopes up for this one like I did Dark, but I can't help but being more confident in this one though.

"We Owe This To Ourselves" wasn't exactly representative of Dark as a whole, so that's not terribly surprising. I liked Dark, but following New Surrender, it wasn't what I wanted.
04:54 PM on 10/10/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Easily their best album. Hands down. And smashing review. Holy hell, I really love the way you write.

Thanks Greg - really appreciate that!
05:38 PM on 10/10/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As much as I want to like this as much as Cities I really doubt I will. I'd love to be proved wrong though and have them blow me away after two mega disappointing albums. I fucking love Self-Starter but I wasn't digging the clips all that much. Either way, I can't wait to give this a full listen.
For some, Cities has too much of a nostalgia factor to let any new Anberlin top it. I truly think this is better though.
12:02 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nobody talks about Blueprints for the Black Market. That will always be my favorite.
Great, great debut, but the band grew and grew.
06:01 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Now I just can't believe anything you say.
Haha, I'm sure some won't agree. So far - most seem to.
02:26 PM on 10/16/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow you must be the first person ever to make a valid judgement of an album after only 2 songs. Congrats.

Seriously though, the album rules.
Haha, this comment is AWESOME.
05:05 PM on 10/16/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Holy shit, I've never been the biggest Anberlin fan, but after reading this review and TheNewReview's, I just had to jump on this. And it's absolutely brilliant so far, even though I'm only 3 tracks in. The production is fucking immaculate. The electronic aspects are just perfectly integrated into their sound.
I've been wondering how those unfamiliar to Anberlin like this album - thanks for commenting!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos