Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 12 posts.
09:53 AM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Love it. Much better than their last two.
10:14 AM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Love how fucking poppy the chorus of Intentions is.
10:34 AM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Whomever wrote the review said something to the effect of 'waiting for this album since 2007'. Well for me, it's since 2005. I couldn't get into any of the last 3 albums at all. What's with putting a horse as your album cover anyways? I haven't finished listening to this album yet, but there's not one song I dislike or wanna skip thus far. Great job Anberlin!
How can you not like Cities?
10:41 AM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
A lot of good tracks on New Surrender as well, IMO.

I'm so happy that this stream supports mobile.
I like New Surrender but it was really weak compared to Cities and NTFP imo and I can definitely understand how someone could like those albums and not like NS.
11:42 AM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I'll take Surrender, Cities, and Friendship over this any day

And unless I have been listening to too much post-rock / shoegaze lately that my tastes have changed I really think most of you will agree with me once the honeymoon period is over.

Its good, nothing more, nothing less
I think very few people would take New Surrender over this.
12:08 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I'm curious as to what in those three albums you mentioned you find more appealing than Vital. I figured the nostalgia factor would play in a lot, but to me, this is their best musically, by far.
personally I think Cities is better lyrically and it's much more diverse muscially which is a huge positive for me. Plus, (*Fin) >>

But seriously, this has a better chance of eventually toppling Cities for me than I thought it did. It's fucking great.
12:10 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Its really not heavy. A couple heavier tracks, but that's it. With that being said, I encourage EVERYONE who sits here and says cities is better or "heavier" to go back and listen to cities. That album is the same, a few heavy cuts, a lot of slower and pop cuts as well...... This album is very, very good so far.

*ok now i am listening to Modern Age. Holy shit.
That's a good thing, if it was just 11 songs like Self Starter it would get tiresome fast. I actually wish there was something even softer on here. But I got "Before I Start Dreaming" from the A&B record and that's enough for me. :)
12:27 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I just think their older songs have better structures and hooks to them. Songs like the resistance, dismantle repair, paperthin hymn etc are heavy but heavy in the right moments. Some of these new songs sound like a mess to me, heavy guitar which isn't really that rythmic, loud synth from the 80's that sounds like a video game ... its so cluttered. I feel like you need to let a song breathe on its own, and the new songs don't possess that. They seemed so forced
I've never understood the people who rave about The Resistance, that is such a bland, mediocre track to me. Self Starter shits all over it.
12:38 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Meh, looks like we just disagree. I think the hooks here are just as strong as Cities, though in a different way. Don't feel like there's a "mess" here at all - I think it's more of an accomplishment that they made such thick music work. I like this direction for the band.
Yeah, I like how much going on there is, it'll be like the opposite of the lyrics on Dark. Where there's new shit to hear every time.
12:39 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I actually really like The Resistance as a song, but the mix/production on the album is TERRIBLE - such a hollow track. Maybe not as strong as some of their other heavy tracks, but it's a damn good song and sounds great live.
The song as a whole just bores the shit out of me, I think every single song on NTFP and Cities (and now probably this) are much, much better. I probably wouldn't even put it in my top 5 for NS and I'm not a big fan of NS.
04:34 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
These streams are kinda stupid, have to hurt record/online sales in some way which I hate for a band like Anberlin. Im waiting to get the real thing in my hands on Tuesday hopefully...
No, they give people a way to check out their music legally and probably help more than they hurt.
08:26 AM on 10/12/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Orpheum/Modern Age/God, Drugs & Sex is just as good as Inevitable/Dismantle.Repair/*Fin.

Listening to those 3 songs straight down were 50% of the reason I loved Cities so much. Obviously the vibe's different on this album, but I absolutely think those hold up to that standard.
as much as I like those songs I was just thinking the opposite on the way home.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums