AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sakes Alive!! - Presents Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Sakes Alive!! - Presents

Reviewed by: Rich Duncan (01/25/08)
Sakes Alive!! - Presents
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 17, 2007

Who: Sakes Alive!! is a punk rock quartet hailing from Rochester, New York (also home to Polar Bear Club and the now defunct Marathon). In the short three months their free, three song demo has been out they have accumulated many accolades. The artwork for the demo was handeled by Stan Doll of the band Lords.

How Is It?: Presents is three fast, raw, and in your face punk rock anthems written entirely by the bands vocalist and guitarist, Chris Vandeviver. Lyrically the band focuses on pressing modern day issues, but the songs do not come across as preachy, rather they just encourage listeners to be more politically and socially aware. Sakes Alive!! drew inspiration from Challenger, Glass and Ashes, and Dillinger Four for their debut effort, and these influences definitely shine through. Ever since I first discovered Sakes Alive!! through browsing the artists profiles here on Absolutepunk.net, I have not been able to stop listening to this demo. As good as these songs sound, you would swear Vandeviver was a seasoned veteran in terms of punk rock songwriting, yet until he founded this band he had never written a song nor sung for any band. He slaved away writing songs for two years, throwing most of them away, until he came up with the starting point that is Presents. Sakes Alive!! view every new fan as a success and at the rate they are gaining praise, they are soon going to be very successful. The band is currently gearing up to play some east coast shows (most of them in New York), so if you get a chance go out and see them pour blood, sweat, and every ounce of energy they have on stage. The band is also looking to record a full length in May, and after hearing this demo, it is one of my most anticipated punk releases this year.

ListenSakes Alive!! Myspace - Download the demo for free.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
07:44 AM on 01/26/08
benallen
User Info.
this demo rules!!!! get into it......
12:12 PM on 01/26/08
ilovebsb
I just listened to their 3 songs on their myspace and it really was not what i was expecting it to be. I like this this alot. It kinda reminds me of new crime in Stereo.
12:25 PM on 01/26/08
sh!twolf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
our mistress the sea makes me thing of gallows. good stuff though i enjoy it. excellent review
06:32 PM on 01/26/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
This is another one of those bands I really want to like, but just can't get into.

Oh well, I'll file them alongside Lifetime in the "Don't get the hype" folder and give their next release a try..
06:54 PM on 01/26/08
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Demo's sick, get into it.

It kinda reminds me of new crime in Stereo.

Oh well, I'll file them alongside Lifetime in the "Don't get the hype" folder and give their next release a try..

Mind is boggled.
01:46 AM on 01/27/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.

It's the vocals, man. Really can't get into them for some reason. Not saying it's bad or anything.
05:54 PM on 01/27/08
singthblues
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sakes Alive!! is awesome, this demo rips, especially track one. get into this band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums