Username
Password

08:45 AM on 10/30/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Is it a dream keeping you awake?
Dela-where?
Female
If you are poor, like secondhand clothes, or merely wish to pretend that you are not a middle class suburbanite, these places are heaven.

I've found some great stuff in thrift stores: record players, one of those alarm clocks from the '70s/80s, my typewriters, records, some really great scarves that I use for headbands, etc. Last weekend I found a book of Shakespeare's complete works for a dollar.

Anyone love thrifting and get some cool stuff for a good price out of it?
02:24 PM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
There are a ton of places to find cool stuff in Nashville. OP, do you know of any good spots in Delaware? My parents live in Newark and the only place I know of is the Goodwill by the movie theatre haha.

http://www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Newark/DE/1.htm This site is great for finding stores near you. I used it last weekend to find some stores down in Rehoboth/Lewes, and it was awesome. There was this really great store called Encore that had awesome stuff.

I don't have any cool thrift shops around me. The Goodwill here is pretty decent, but that's really the only close secondhand store that I have.

I live in Newark too, the only good place I know of is the Goodwill off Kirkwood Highway. I've found some awesome Christmas sweaters there.

I've heard the one in Smyrna is great as well. I'll have to give the Kirkwood Highway one a try.

The couple of thriftstores here suck. Everything is old and outdated. The pants are like my leftover glittery pants with butterflies along the side from the 90's, and the dresses all have ugly floral print. I do like Plato's Closet though. A lot of it looks a bit outdated-ish too, but I've gotten some really cute stuff there for really cheap.

I found a pair of Oxford lace up heels there for eight dollars, and my dumbass didn't buy them. I will live with the regret for a very long time.

Got some good vinyl and cassettes at the Goodwill on Wadsworth in Lakewood, CO.

Got a Smiths "Queen Is Dead" on cassette and two Morrissey cassingles.

Jesus Christ I am jealous. Best vinyl I've found so far at my local Goodwill is a Marvin Gaye record, haha.

I've always wanted to. I tried a couple of weeks ago, I paid for a book and the lady there gave me the ugliest look ever, she was all like is that your car outside? Bitch.

Why would she be questioning you about your car? haha.

But don't let that deter you from bargain-hunting. I never buy anything for full price.
05:53 PM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
I brought a friend thrifting with me and she was the same way. She was wearing a Northface and felt uncomfortable in a secondhand shop with a $300 jacket on.
09:44 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
I wish I could get myself to buy clothes from thrift stores, I just can't. The thought of putting someone else's sweatspots on my own just freaks me out, especially with shoes. Ack.

Toys and collectible are pretty fun though.

I used to be the same way, but I always wash the clothes before I wear them. I'm not going to pass up cute, cheap clothes because someone else has worn them.

Why exactly would you buy a typewriter? That's like buying a CRT monitor or a VCR.

I just love old nostalgic stuff. I use it for writing letters, journal entries, and making lists. It's just something fun. The only thing that sucks is I have to order the new ribbons online and they do not come cheap.

People collect typewriters. Notice OP said "my typewriters."

I should probably clarify and say that the other typewriters I have bought have been for my friends who wanted one. I usually get them for $5-10.
10:32 AM on 11/04/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
Brand names don't even matter to me anymore. I've been shopping in the men's sections at thrift stores because they have comfier, cooler sweaters and flannel. I wore men's flannel with a lace tank top underneath to balance it out at a poetry reading the other night.
04:51 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
I'm partial to the men's sweater section because they have better designs/sizes (cuz who wouldn't want an oversized sweater?) The most I've ever spent at thrift store is probably like $15 max, it's great. I can't remember the last time I spent more than $5 on a top hahah

People always look at me weird when I say I shop in the men's department. Oversized sweaters are fantastic, and I like the way their flannel is cut. So, for winter clothes, the men's section at any Goodwill/thrift store is a gold mine.

From Macklemore's thrift store article in GQ:

The rest

Good read. He speaks the truth, except I won't buy clothing from a thrift store if it's above maybe six, seven dollars.
09:39 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
The top is insanely cute. Where did you get the collar? I'm a huge fan of the Peter Pan collar trend.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos