Username
Password

03:40 PM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
allthewaysaid
Have a feeling I'll die in my20s...
Texas
Male - 22 Years Old
http://www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Newark/DE/1.htm This site is great for finding stores near you. I used it last weekend to find some stores down in Rehoboth/Lewes, and it was awesome. There was this really great store called Encore that had awesome stuff.

I don't have any cool thrift shops around me. The Goodwill here is pretty decent, but that's really the only close secondhand store that I have.

I've heard the one in Smyrna is great as well. I'll have to give the Kirkwood Highway one a try.

I found a pair of Oxford lace up heels there for eight dollars, and my dumbass didn't buy them. I will live with the regret for a very long time.

Jesus Christ I am jealous. Best vinyl I've found so far at my local Goodwill is a Marvin Gaye record, haha.

Why would she be questioning you about your car? haha.

But don't let that deter you from bargain-hunting. I never buy anything for full price.

I guess she felt I had no business buying stuff from them when she saw my car. Old ladies are crazy.
04:53 PM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Is it a dream keeping you awake?
Dela-where?
Female
I brought a friend thrifting with me and she was the same way. She was wearing a Northface and felt uncomfortable in a secondhand shop with a $300 jacket on.
06:59 PM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
Jonahharper
Jonahharper
Kentucky
Male
I got this piece of artwork from a goodwill a week or so ago

It was easily the most shocking piece of art I'd seen in awhile, and I had to buy it.
It's going to be incorporated into the album art for a collective I'm a part of.
It has a signature on the back, seems it was made by some middle schooler.
Oh, and it reminds me of Grizzly Bear's music video for "Ready, Able". You know what I mean.

All for a solid $2.

Oh, and I found this beautiful clown doll.

I bought this for 25 cents. It has no eyes, and when you wind it up, it plays a song and moves it's limbs. It's so old though that when it moves, it creaks and makes horrid noises.

I actually used the sound effects in a song and music video for the collective God's Holy Forest.
Watch the video here, it's at the very end!
10:29 PM on 11/02/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
I wish I could get myself to buy clothes from thrift stores, I just can't. The thought of putting someone else's sweatspots on my own just freaks me out, especially with shoes. Ack.

Toys and collectible are pretty fun though.
11:10 PM on 11/02/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Savers is the shit. That's where I've gotten my halloween costumes for the past two times. I wish there was one close to home, there's one 5 mins from my school.
06:11 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old
Why exactly would you buy a typewriter? That's like buying a CRT monitor or a VCR.
07:22 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
Why exactly would you buy a typewriter? That's like buying a CRT monitor or a VCR.

People collect typewriters. Notice OP said "my typewriters."
07:37 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
Buffalo, NY
Female - 20 Years Old
I wish I could get myself to buy clothes from thrift stores, I just can't. The thought of putting someone else's sweatspots on my own just freaks me out, especially with shoes. Ack.

whenever I buy clothes I do a check for obvious stains/rips and pit/collar stains. I've managed to find some really nice shirts (a Ralph Lauren blouse for $2) in good condition.
07:48 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
I love thrift stores. Plenty of antiques show up at Goodwill and nobody on staff bothers to check their actual value.

Not true.
07:52 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
CallMeTroy
Fail To Feel
Illinois, USA
Genderqueer - 23 Years Old

In all fairness, we don't go the same Goodwill store. I shouldn't have generalized.
08:04 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
In all fairness, we don't go the same Goodwill store. I shouldn't have generalized.

Actually, I was just going to say that I worked at Goodwill (and Savers) and usually they do check the value of things that might be worth real money. If they think it's really worth something, they'll send it to be sold online on Goodwill's own eBay-type site, shopgoodwill.com.

On the topic of large items like furniture, they take up a lot of space on the retail floor so they are purposely priced to sell. Otherwise they'll sit there for weeks taking up the room for other items to be sold.
08:44 AM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Is it a dream keeping you awake?
Dela-where?
Female

I used to be the same way, but I always wash the clothes before I wear them. I'm not going to pass up cute, cheap clothes because someone else has worn them.

I just love old nostalgic stuff. I use it for writing letters, journal entries, and making lists. It's just something fun. The only thing that sucks is I have to order the new ribbons online and they do not come cheap.

People collect typewriters. Notice OP said "my typewriters."

I should probably clarify and say that the other typewriters I have bought have been for my friends who wanted one. I usually get them for $5-10.
02:57 PM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
tell that mick
@mickrouse
New York, NY
Male

Winner, winner.
05:45 PM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
onlyoneword
~
Scotland
Male
I wish we had places like Goodwill here in the UK, the best places we have are full of old lady's beige trousers and foot spas.
What is it with all the foot spas?
07:00 PM on 11/03/12 
User Info.
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
Buffalo, NY
Female - 20 Years Old

My brother garbage picks sometimes for fun and he found an old typewriter. Sold it for $300 on eBay.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets