AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dark Disco Club - The Human Condition Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Dark Disco Club - The Human Condition

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (02/01/08)
Dark Disco Club - The Human Condition
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 27, 2007

September 27, 2007 is actually the day that Dark Disco Club’s founding member and keyboardist Joseph Rose told the band’s former label to go “suck it” for jerking the band around about releasing their album The Human Condition, according to Rose’s blog on the band’s website. From that date forward, Dark Disco Club have taken control of their work and are selling their album The Human Condition at iTunes and rhapsody.com. Luckily Dark Disco Club’s album is music that you can sink your teeth into and savor the taste of its electronica-swished rock emblematic of Lacuna Coil and the solo work of Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan. There is something gothic in the music’s atmospherics as the songs possess a dark, heady, black magic beauty consumed by the soothing vocal strokes of lead singer Laura Borucki. The band calls their music “experimental,” which it has in its cyborg-ish metal crunching, but the songs also have a progressive rock sophistication and melodic rock pixilation. The songs have a certain distinction which has a close relation to Nine Inch Nails, and yet, you definitely don’t have to be a fan of NIN to enjoy Dark Disco Club’s music. DDC definitely play what beats in their own hearts.

Rounding out the band are keyboardist/programmer Joe Light, guitarists Tom Roller and Anthony Mariano, and drummerDave Mattis. Tracks like “Internal Bleating” and “Buy This Lie“ have groove-heavy patterns layered with screamo choruses and Borucki’s gently pitched timbres on top. The dark toned ravines and gossamer of twizzling guitar lines produce a cavernous ambience and their hypnotic electronica creates shivers along the sawing motions. The music projects a trestle of nether world imagery as Borucki’s vocals traipse a sexy jazz drool particularly on songs like “I Won’t” and “Love or Get Off the Pot.” The movements fluctuate between faint knolls to majestic flourishes with funky snaked keyboard phrases which infuse an exotic flavoring into the electronica. Tracks like “The New You” and the title track are emblematic of goth rock with echoing dungeon-esque sonics, slowly stirring passages and cyborg-ish crunching electronica as the lyrics for “The Human Condition“ tell, “Seven years and countless tears / Our mistakes have fed our fears / All the fights that stole our rights / We must work to set this right… Intuition is my guide now / And instinct my only friend.” The music is dark and doom-ish sounding with lyrics that reflect about feeling caged like in “Buy The Lie” when Borucki sings, “No peace, no joy, no salvation / Is this worth going through? / Is this worth going through? / This life is a prison and there’s no way out.”

Dark Disco Club’s album The Human Condition can be described with many adjectives but disco was not something that I found. The music doesn’t make you dance; it actually produces a hypnotic ambiance that puts its audience in a trance. Shavings of prog rock, experimental rock, electronica, and goth metal are accessible with a touch of soft-jazz in Borucki’s vocals. Strangely, Rose reports on the banambianced’s website that Dark Disco Club are back in the studio recording another album even before giving this record a chance with audiences. When the creative juices are stirring, Dark Disco Club are quick to identify its scent and capture its dark magic.

LinksWebsite | MySpace (download album) | Buy

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
12:03 PM on 02/09/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
This cover art has me entranced. I'd like a larger picture of it (minus the text) as a desktop background.
03:48 PM on 02/18/08
sofriggencool
so friggen cool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This cover art has me entranced. I'd like a larger picture of it (minus the text) as a desktop background.

yeah, I definetly agree.

thanks for letting me know about this band. Im downloading a few songs off their myspace now and am going to check them out
04:33 PM on 02/18/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
yeah, I definetly agree.

thanks for letting me know about this band. Im downloading a few songs off their myspace now and am going to check them out
Cool, let us know how you like them.
07:24 AM on 02/21/08
AbsoluteRock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, this is actually really good.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates