- Tame Impala are obvs the best Australian act right now.
- The Jezabels are probs second. Sound like a kinda poppier National or Arcade Fire with female vocals.
- Oliver Tank put out an absolutely incredible EP last year called Dreams. Brilliant electronic dream pop. Guerre has put out some good tunes doing the same kinda thing too.
- Flume just put out his debut, self titled album a few days ago and it's already blowing up. He's a producer who makes accessible electronic music to dance to with a bunch of old soul and hip hop samples.
- Chet Faker put out a super cool EP called Thinking in Textures this year. Does the whole relaxing, electronic bedroom pop thing. Good stuff.
- Snakadaktal put out a neat EP last year that's kinda like a more upbeat XX. Got heaps of potential, probs gonna do big things here in the future.
- Angus and Julia Stone both put out fantastic albums by themselves this year too. Like, albums on level with their stuff they do together.
- Cut Copy, PNAU, Bag Raiders, Van She, The Presets and Miami Horror are all doing really cool things as far as electronic pop goes. All super catchy and good to dance to.
- As far as post rock goes, sleepmakeswaves and Tangled Thoughts of Leaving are both killing it. smw are more ambient and orchestral while TTOL are heavier and more jarring. Both great.
- We've got a whole bunch of interchangeable indie rock/pop kinda bands. Ball Park Music are doing it better than pretty much everyone else right now. The Temper Trap are up there too and Lisa Mitchell also just put out a really nice pop record. Gypsy and the Cat put a really good album in 2010 but apparently they just released a new one and it's completely different so idk about them.
- Check out Arrows if you like twinkly shit. Just put out a super cool split with Empire! Empire!
- As far as folk music goes, beyond Angus and Julia Stone; Xavier Rudd, Josh Pyke and The Trouble With Templeton are all doing great things right now.
- The Smith St. Band are pretty cool too if you like the whole orgcore thing.
Probs missed a few good artists but that'll do for now.
There we go.
I found the Oliver Tank CD in my radio station in the "take stuff for free" pile. took it immediately : )