AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shnabubula - Fading Light Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Shnabubula - Fading Light

Reviewed by: blue_light_888 (11/06/12)
ShnabubulaFading Light
Label: self-released
Release Date: October 15, 2012

Objectivity be damned, it just isn’t fair for somebody to be this damn good.

But allow me to try.

Jazz-influenced pianist and chiptune musician Samuel Ascher-Weiss, better known as Shnabubula, has always done excellent work with layers. Free Play, the first of four (yeah, four) albums he released in 2012, took energetic, dramatic piano improvisations and built meticulously crafted ensemble pieces on top of them, effortlessly bridging his raw, personal playing with explosive dynamic power. Fans of that album will likely be taken aback at first by Fading Light, his first purely acoustic work: the only instrument to be found here is the piano. Considering the quality of this work, however, they certainly won’t be disappointed.

In the words of Ascher-Weiss, this album represents a difficult period of his life in which he handled the pressure by recording improvisational pieces. The emotional power, as a result, is the most intense he has ever been, the sparseness of the instrumentation allowing the veteran pianist to be as passionate as he wants without fear of overpowering the other layers of the song. That isn’t to say that the album loses any of its dramatic heft, though, as his playing is truly astounding, delicate and subtle at one moment—then crushing and forceful in the next. Likewise, the mood of the album swings wildly from euphoria to despair and everything in between: the solemn “Drifting Gently” is followed immediately by the innocent, bright “Time For A Picnic”, but for whatever reason, the pieces all just fit together.

Standout piece “Turning Point” encapsulates the entire emotional spectrum of this work perfectly; the glassy, fragile melodies that carry the first half of the track are soon injected with a jolt of energy that lifts them into a lighter key and allows them to soar over the second half…and before things get too light, we get that melody from the beginning again, the one that sounds like it’s one bump away from shattering, and the notes gradually get softer and softer. As much as the listener might like to escape, Ascher-Weiss realizes that that awakening and catharsis are always but temporary, and this truth characterizes the direction of his wayward playing—and the emotional subtext they carry.

Sometimes the album’s volatile shifts border on capricious, but they lend the entire work an electric unpredictability that speaks both volumes about Ascher-Weiss’s struggles and his ability to channel that pain into beauty. He certainly has quite a bit of fun, too; “The Bewildered Swordsman” stabs and swoops as dramatically as any cut from Free Play, while “Kittens and the Moon” plays with the listener’s expectations, bleeding pathos and melodies of loneliness before gradually shifting from andante to allegro, casting aside its weighty melodies for more hopeful ones as it swoops upwards into the night sky.

What truly stuns about Shnabubula is how somebody who is so prolific can remain so potent a force. Some musicians spend years perfecting a work, fine-tuning it, thinking about its significance, what they want to say. Others are more productive, but what they have to say seldom transcends the cheapness of novelty as they rush their work. Samuel Ascher-Weiss falls into neither camp: for him, music is just life itself, constantly evolving and never finished, enlightenment never able to be grasped but only meant to be glimpsed for a fraction of a moment. And if all of his therapy sessions sound this good, we gotta stick around to listen.

9/10

Album is free!

Recommended If You LikePiano improvisations that are so good you won’t believe they’re improvised, Olafur Arnalds, Liquid Tension Experiment with all the tension and none of the instruments

Track Listing1. Drifting Gently
2. Time For A Picnic
3. Turning Point
4. Sunny Days Again
5. Fading Light
6. The Bewildered Swordsmas
7. Kittens And The Moon
8. The Man From Out Of Town
9. Last Day Of Spring
10. Looking For Answers

Running time: 46 minutes
Artist website: http://shnabubula.bandcamp.com

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
04:28 PM on 11/08/12
Speed512
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cover art was sexy and dragged me to this review. Good thing! Amazing album, Amazing review! props!
07:46 PM on 11/08/12
blue_light_888
User Info.
cover art was sexy and dragged me to this review. Good thing! Amazing album, Amazing review! props!
Glad to hear it.
05:44 PM on 11/10/12
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
Checking this out because of the Olafur Arnalds riyl. I fucking love me some piano music.
08:43 PM on 11/12/12
blue_light_888
User Info.
Checking this out because of the Olafur Arnalds riyl. I fucking love me some piano music.

I'm dying of curiosity. How was it?
09:14 PM on 11/12/12
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
I'm dying of curiosity. How was it?
awesome, it reminded me of an accidental memory in the case of death by eluvium, and that's always a good thing
05:54 AM on 11/14/12
blue_light_888
User Info.
awesome, it reminded me of an accidental memory in the case of death by eluvium, and that's always a good thing

glad you enjoyed it.

if you like Eluvium, this dude is pretty dope too:
http://jakecarmichael.bandcamp.com/
06:44 AM on 11/17/12
tender
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Since 2005, the oil giant has Chanel Replica awarded over £2.25 million to 62 small businesses who have developed new ways of cutting carbon authentic chanel wallets emissions and urges those small enterprises with a commercially viable, innovative idea to fake chanel wallets apply for the 2013 Shell Springboard Awards.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS