Password

Album Review

We, the Drowned - The Young Man & the Sea Album Cover

We, the Drowned - The Young Man & the Sea

Reviewed by
We, the DrownedThe Young Man & the Sea EP
Release Date: September 30, 2012
Record Label: Self-Released
First, I just want to say that I had just heard of this band, and instantly fell in love with them. The EP is heartfelt and creative, and its ambient sound really sets an emotional connection to the lyrics. The EP starts off with a song Called “Keep Breathing”.

The song is about a father who tries to provide for his family. So he does by taking a dangerous job on a fishing boat, but when a storm hits, he is washed away at sea. His grieving wife turns to the comfort of alcohol and drugs over the next decade. Her son is to grow up and take on the responsibilities of his father, taking care of his mother, the house, and his father’s duties.

So with that there’s the following song “The Young Man & the Sea”, which is about the son growing frustrated with his few options. That said he takes on a job his father was lost from: Fishing, but with hopes of making enough money to move away and start over with him and his mother. While at sea, the son's boat is capsized and his crew lost. He manages to find a life-raft and clings to life while adrift at sea. His mother, giving him up for dead, commits suicide out of guilt.

After drifting for some time, the son washes ashore and is rescued. Assuming everything is okay, he comes home to find his mother dead in the bathtub. The son is broken and believes he is to blame for her death and freaks out. Crazed, he swims out to the middle of the sea and is swept away.

I admit, the band’s explanation is where the idea of the lyrics most came from. But the thing that makes it creative is the fact they decided to put a story behind it, and with a melodic hardcore instrumental sound, mixed in with soft spoken vocals create something amazing. I hope to see more from this band, and that it sounds as creative, eccentric, melodic, and ambient as this, if not more.

Check them out at: http://wethedrownedmusic.bandcamp.com/

Track Listing:
1. Keep Breathing
2. The Young Man & the Sea
This review is a user submitted review from tortags. You can see all of tortags's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
02:30 PM on 11/24/12
Pacey
User Info.
I am VERY into this.
09:04 AM on 11/26/12
tortags
Stuck Like Ghosts Made to Disappear
User Info.
I would like to see a full length from them.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos