AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

09:00 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
For me, I would say "the n-word" because I literally feel disgusted if I say the actual word. I remember one time I was joking around with a friend of mine and repeated what he had said without thinking and when I dawned on me a few seconds later that I had repeated the n-word, I felt this horrible feeling wash over me. So, whether it makes sense or not, I hated feeling that way and I don't want to again.
11:08 AM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Every time I discuss this topic, I am reminded of an article I read years ago called "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." I'll attach the whole article, but also include the list of things in the "white knapsack."

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area, which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
4. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
5. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
6. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
7. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
8. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.
9. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
10. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of my financial reliability.
11. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
12. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.
13. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
14. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
15. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
16. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
17. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
18. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be facing a person of my race.
19. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of my race.
20. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children’s magazines featuring people of my race.
21. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared.
22. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having coworkers on the job suspect that I got it because of race.
23. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be
mistreated in the place I have chosen.
24. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help my race will not work against me.
25. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it has racial overtones.
26. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WhitePrivilege.pdf (99.0 KB, 34 views)
03:16 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
I think White Privilege is somewhat of a misnomer for this list. Many of these 'privileges' cross over to being a majority/minority ANYWHERE. (i.e., you could be white and living in Japan and you wouldn't find many white people in magazines, foods you liked, it'd be hard to find clothes that fit if you're over 5'7, neighbors think you'll be noisy, etc. etc. (those are actual problems a friend teaching in Japan related to me). Another friend traveling in Singapore couldn't get her hair cut for 6 months because hair dressers didn't know what to do with her not pin-straight hair.)
While I agree, when it was written and why it was written put more context into the title. It's linked in that post if you didn't read the whole thing.
07:12 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
For those that have followed it, what do you think of the Jalen Rose/Grant Hill stuff?
07:35 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
There's great commentary by mike wilbon on ESPN.com. He wrote an article, i don't have the link, but you can probably just google it.
I assume this is it? That's a much more balanced article than some of the others I had read. Most of the one's I had come across seemed to just blast Rose and I didn't understand why.
07:48 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
It really boggles my mind that a white person would argue about whether or not they should be able to say the word. Why would you want to?
07:31 AM on 03/29/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
imagine if all the energy spent bickering back and forth on this thread was put to use enagaing people from different communities/ backgrounds in your respective cities. World might be not as wretched.
"Discussions are worthless."
05:33 AM on 04/02/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
I think racism is complicated. There's this wealthy amazingly amazing black dude that everyone loves. He comes in to my office every few weeks because he's some sort of consultant. Anyway, one of my co-workers that is ridiculously hot, I mean, damn she fine. Anyway, she's an outspoken "i wouldn't date anyone outside of my race because of superiority" bullshit bullshit. But she just falls head over heals for this guy. I mean, she doesn't date anyone because she's "too good" but that black dude she just loves him. I don't blame her, I mean he's amazing. If I didn't have the accent and kill people on the weekends I wouldn't have been able to cop a feel of her wonderful boobs. But you should see her try and flirt with him. And he's so calm and always nonchalant. Nobody knows if she is making progress, he's always the same way to everyone.

Anyway, he's a millionaire (born into it-I know what you're thinking, a black guy born into money) That's the point, he's not an ordinary black guy, he's some sort of Black God. We all thought he was like 30 years old or more, but we just found out he's 25.I don't know why i'm telling such a long story, maybe because I want to see if people are actually going to read all of it, or maybe because i'm bored. Either way, he's the type of black guy that would be welcomed everywhere he goes. A racist can hate black guys but wouldn't hate him. He's not even your typical lightskinned black guy that people tend to like. But he's amazing.
I guess I too have a crush on it. There goes the neighborhood.
What am I thinking about a black guy born into money?
11:28 AM on 06/07/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
I agree with this. They just seem miserable in comparison to the others. Man, I had to buy an electric razor that was being advertised for $40 in their weekly ads. I try to purchase it, it rings up $60. I had to explain this shit to the cashier.... she just didn't get it and was no help at all. I ended up just walking out of the store.
I was a cashier once, I probably came across the same way. Being a cashier sucks and I did hope you didn't come into my line. It has nothing to do with one's race.

this one time I wasn't allowed to stereotype people because I'm white but every other race was allowed to.
Sure you can. What stuff can't you say that an Asian person could?
09:26 PM on 06/07/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
anything about asians.
But Asians can't get away with anything about blacks or Hispanics, so what's the difference?

I've been a cashier before as well. I've never had attitude problems and treated people like they were a burden just for purchasing something.
So what? As Depeche Mode would say, people are people.
01:13 PM on 07/04/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Just stop talking to him, hes either trolling or has an extra 21st chromosome. Not worth the time.
Tacky.
08:12 AM on 07/05/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
you do realize the republican party just elected their first black representative to the house for the first time since reconstruction, some 150 years ago, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans_in_the_United_Sta tes_Congress

I'll just leave this here.
12:25 PM on 07/05/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
I would say the 30 or less male students deserve some serious high fiving.
Seriously potent sperm swimming amongst that bunch.
12:33 PM on 07/05/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Care to list out all the great accomplishments of Republicans since Reconstruction?
12:50 PM on 07/05/11 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
A, now tell me the catch and how you are going to spin this to prove your point with a question in which you only allow two possible answers with one answer being worded in a way to make sure I don't pick it.
How did you see through his masterful ruse?!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos