Password
This Thread is Closed.

04:08 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
And as for the n-word I use it and not as a term of endearment either. When someone is being incredibly ignorant I say it. N***as come in all races.

Doesn't make you using the term any less shitty.
03:59 PM on 03/22/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
@bold: how is this true at all? Where does that come from? White people use it in almost exactly the same manner black people do, with a sort of camaraderie. You're completely ignoring context. It isn't racial anymore, it's the objectors that keep tagging race onto it because they don't want it to change from its historical use, which only goes to further racial divides.

I should be held accountable, but give me a fair trial. N*gga is just a "dirty" word, like cunt or motherfucker, but it most definitely does not mean i'm racist. You can judge me for using it if you want, the same way you can judge me for using dirty words, but don't assume i'm racist because that's wholly ignorant and incorrect. I use the word among both white and black friends, and they know when I call them n*gga it's because I love them, not hate them. If you think that's wrong then you're free to judge. I think it's great.

It isn't empathic at all, it's a total front. Like other people have pointed out, it's mostly white people who will actively object the use of the word.

Ha. Yeah, except for the white people who still use it with hate and venom...which is why some black people (and people of any race) object to white people using the word.

If you can't see how some people would see a white person using the word in any context as offensive due to the history of the word...well, then you're either playing dumb or actually dumb.
05:14 PM on 03/22/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Ah, the old "wow, you don't agree with me. You're dumb" ploy. Well played.

Aaah, the old 'act crucified because I said you were dumb if you can't understand the underlining venom involved in the word' ploy.

Do you feel like commenting on the rest of the post? Feel free to ignore the 'you may be dumb' part if you get a break from un-bunching your panties.
05:37 PM on 03/22/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old

If only I hadn't called him dumb, he may have actually absorbed my post. What a shame...
07:47 AM on 03/23/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Nothing you said isn't addressed in my post, and like usual you can't make an opposing point to a non-regular without slipping in some condescending comment. I know from experience you're only trying to get a hostile reaction from me and that's not happening.

Holy shit. I was not trying to get a hostile reaction from you, I honestly don't give a shit. I said;
If you can't see how some people would see a white person using the word in any context as offensive due to the history of the word...well, then you're either playing dumb or actually dumb.
not because I was looking to get a rise out of you, but because I feel you're missing out on (or willingly ignoring) the history and negative usage of the word, which is so blatantly obvious and well-known, that you'd have to be 'dumb' not to understand it. You, however, took it as a personal attack and ignored the rest. So, here's the rest, without the dumb part;

Ha. Yeah, except for the white people who still use it with hate and venom...which is why some black people (and people of any race) object to white people using the word.

Which is all I'm trying to say. You and your white buddies may not care that you drop the word, and you may hear rappers and actual, real black people saying it, but due to the history and venom the word carries, you can't act like some people are ever going to be OK with you using it.
04:49 AM on 03/27/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I get that. Dude used to mean an ignorant, snobbish city person. Spook used to mean a black person. Pussy just meant cat. Gay meant happy. The way we use these words today has little to do with how they were used in the past.

Holy shit, you are fucking dense. I can't believe you're still trying to line up n*gger with 'gay' and 'pussy', like the n-word's gone through anywhere near the same entomological shift as those two. Until the vitrol that is so often used in n*gger and the system of racism in place are gone, the n-word will always carry a hateful, hurtful connotation that some 19 year old from Illinois is not going to remove by 'taking it back'. You're not in Clerks II, it's not 'porch monkey', oh, and 'spook' is still a racial slur, you twit.

As well, you'll notice that 'gay' and 'pussy' were words that lacked a 'slang' or 'negative' connotation, then had the 'taboo' meaning tacked on at a later time. With you trying to 'take back' n*gger, it's the other way around, and pretty much the entire reason people are offended by it. This isn't some 17 year old giggling because someone said 'pussy cat', it's a racial slur.
08:02 AM on 03/27/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
N*gger is such a horrid word, but yet black people still like to keep it around and use it in everyday conversation to address themselves.
I would think people would want to move away from that.

What black people? All black people? Black people from pop culture, giving you a skewed view of 'black people' as a whole? Because my money's on that.
08:21 AM on 03/27/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Apologies, the majority of my school is black, and they basically act that way, it's annoying.
I didn't mean to generalize ALL black people, sorry.
I'm kinda out of touch from that side of pop culture, so no, that's not it.

Right. Well, the majority of the black kids at your school talk like that for the same reason the white kids have stupid hair cuts and wear turquoise girl pants; pop culture. 'Gangsta/street rap' did more for 'n*gga' then you'll ever know. You'll find that stupid high schooler's and idiot rappers are the group within black culture most likely to start dropping n-bombs.
02:51 PM on 03/29/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
At my last job, I was the only dark skinned (i.e. not white) person there so I made plenty of jokes about race and got away with it.

tl;dr Why is the N-word still offensive? Do we live in the 60's again or something?

It all depends on context. No one is offended when Jay-Z says n*gga in his songs, but plenty of people are offended when Kramer starts screaming N*GGER! over and over again at a comedy show.

Context, context, context. Oh, and intent. Can't forget intent. Basically, we don't live in a vaccum.
05:18 PM on 03/31/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I fucking hate it when people ignore points made to whine about being called something mean. Get the fuck over it.

(Looking at you, zion)
05:45 PM on 03/31/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I dont think I ignored any points made.

Here's what he wrote with the insults removed;
Quote:
You aren't a racist so how do you know how their thought process works? In actuality, racism is normally a by-product of how a child is raised, however once said child actually matures they can shed aforementioned preconceptions. Just because you think people can't change doesn't mean it's true. To say that people only pretend to change is an incredibly ignorant mindset[.]

You ignored all of this to complain about being called a 'pretenious bitch'.
06:03 PM on 03/31/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I ignored the "you arent one so you cant possibly know" argument, because I think it's ridiculous, its like saying that because I'm not a movie director, I cant say anything about the quality of a movie. I talked about more than just him losing any respect or legitimacy from me because he couldnt refrain from name calling though.

No, he was saying that people don't 'pretend' to stop being ignorant and racist, they stop being ignorant, thus they stop being racist.

You are either obscenely fucking dense, or his name-calling stirred you so badly that you couldn't even gleam his point from the whole post, instead focusing on stupid things like 'I'm not a movie director, derp-a-derp-a-derp'.
06:22 PM on 03/31/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
You realize that all you focused on was my analogy right?

Did I now?
No, he was saying that people don't 'pretend' to stop being ignorant and racist, they stop being ignorant, thus they stop being racist.

You are either obscenely fucking dense, or his name-calling stirred you so badly that you couldn't even gleam his point from the whole post, instead focusing on stupid things like 'I'm not a movie director, derp-a-derp-a-derp'.

Feel free to read the big font and ignore the little font, maybe that'll be easier for you.
06:38 PM on 03/31/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Yes, the same way I apparently only focused on the name calling.

Are you done yet? I have dishes to do.

You're a fucking retard. Here's the point again;

You won't understand the point, though, because you won't get past 'fucking retard'.
06:43 PM on 03/31/11 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I got past it and understood it the first time, thank you very much. I get that you're probably just looking to take out some aggression on someone, but you realize this is getting absolutely nowhere right?

Aggression? I couldn't be more relaxed now if I tried. Doesn't alter the fact that you have no reading comprehension skills at all.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos