Password
This Thread is Closed.

12:10 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
The whole Chris Rock scenario is exactly why black people are stuck in this predicament. I am black and it burns me from the inside out when I hear other black people still using the n word towards each other. The Chris Rock thing only makes it worse b/c he is giving other races an excuse to continue to use bigotry. Another example is when Nas named his album N****er and expected people to just understand the point he was trying to make by naming his album that. It doesn't matter what reasoning you put behind using that language, you are giving everyone the okay to go ahead and use it as well. I've heard that word thrown around by all races my whole life, by people I considered friends, who said the same thing you did about how it didn't apply to 'all black people' and its disgusting. Ending ignorance ends with ourselves in our own communities and until that happens, shit's just going to keep getting worse.
12:25 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
Honestly, I've no problem with the use of the term between African-Americans, so long as it is used in terms of camaraderie; that is, one has a best friend and refers to them as "my n*gga".

You should have a problem with it. It's not endearing and its not friendly. It's detrimental to our growth as a race. We've managed to brainwash ourselves into thinking that and that's the saddest part.
12:40 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
The word itself isn't the issue, it is a matter of what it represents, namely the material oppression of African-Americans.

Precisely. And as you just put it previously, saying someone is 'my *****' is just as ignorant sounding in my humble opinion. But agree to disagree.
08:19 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
You would probably have a rage explosion if you lived down here because everyone says the n word except me

A majority of the people I know use it here as well. Its always bothered me. Then again, I guess blatant stupidity has always bothered me.
02:03 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
My hat goes off to you, mam.
I've asked some of my black friends about that, and they explained some sort of difference between N***er and N***a, and I really didn't get it. It's like gay people calling each other fagget. It makes no sense.
I understand that language isn't stagnent, and that it has to be able to change and adapt, but if something is so offensive, then why don't people actually make a stand for it? I'm white, and I call people out for using the N-word, and everyone's like "why do you care? You're not black." Well, when someone targets me, I want someone to have my back. But it's more than that, it's just wrong. It's rude and angry and just immature.
The other thing that gets to me is the ignorance. Like, the thing with Huck Fin, where they changed the N-word to slave. They don't mean the same thing! It just angers me. *rants darkly*

Thanks. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The Huck Fin situation kind of annoys me, not to sound hypocritical of what I just said but as you said they don't mean the same thing. And it IS like gay people calling each other ******. It's offensive in ALL scenarios. But really what angers me the most is it being used as a term of endearment. That's just straight up stupid.
03:08 PM on 03/21/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
The worst part is he's not even a bad person. Think of him as the father from American History X. He's just a hard worker and something back in the day triggered him to hate black people. I don't know what it was, but I won't allow that racist shit around my son. It started to rub off on me when I was younger to the point I was really hateful towards anyone who wasn't white. I mean, I was borderline white supremesist. I hated everyone.

Thankfully, I have changed and moved away from said racism.

You're proof that we're not our parents. The only way to stop that bullshit is to end it with ourselves. And honestly I think you did the right thing by removing your kid from that language/attitude.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos