Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

12:50 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Tinnerz
Arlington, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
you are black? in what way are they racist towards you, if you don't mind my asking?

Yeah, I'm (mostly) black. In high school they used to constantly ask me, "are you sure you're black?" due to my hair being less coarse/nappy and being light-skinned. I was further teased because I listened to rock music ("white music") and did well academically. You wouldn't think that those things would be an issue, but for some reason people hated that and therefore I was labeled as an "Oreo." Luckily I understood that those people are not the majority.
12:50 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Tinnerz
Arlington, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
It's prolly for liking TREOS, I bet.

That's part of it, actually. Hahaha.
12:51 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
paper halo
we're just a million little gods
Lincoln, UK
Male
you do understand what "cracker" means, right?

Yes, but I doubt I could ever consider it offensive.

You understand the origins of the n-word, right?
12:51 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 27 Years Old

You do understand you're hurting your case, right? There's nothing inherently insulting in the term 'cracker'.
12:54 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
2's&3's
deep in thoug...
I feel like it's pretty simple. If you are sensitive to other people's feelings, don't use words that would potentially offend someone. Trying to defend the use of the word makes you look like a bigot.
12:57 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
barkingincision
i am white rune
the fact that you're 23 and honestly think that cracker is remotely on par with the meaning of the word n*gger is deeply concerning.
you're not proving anything, regardless.

I suggest OP read some of Thomas C Holt's books on the state of modern racism, I just wrote a paper on him.
Racism, obviously, is definitely still prevalent today, more so than the average American realizes.
01:04 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
SuffrPeacefully
Colorado
Male - 23 Years Old
Words don't belong to people. I can't blame someone that isn't black for using the version of the word ending in 'a', because black people do it all the time. The racist shit is when you want to use the slur ending in 'er'.
01:06 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
I just think the reclamation of the word is important. That is not the same as endorsing others saying it.
I don't believe that one group of people can reclaim a word
01:11 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
zion the lion
pull over that ass is too fat.
Female - 21 Years Old

you guys are too damn sensitive, they are just words.

It's not different than referring to white males as "whiteboys" or "crackers" and the fact that it's generally used in a condescending manner

People just need to get over themselves, yes racist people exist in this world in every nationality. But it's up to you, whether or not you choose to let the people affect you

I was about to use the head exploding smiley but it wouldnt show the exact amount of frustration I have right about now.
01:34 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Darkest Blue
Don't drop your arms.
Lima, Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
People are always going to resent anything they can even if they don't have a rational reason. It really is sad that the world lacks equality and certain people can't grow up and overcome these things. But just remember that you aren't racist and dont need to stoop to their level. Just be you and love all and people will see that and appreciate it.
01:34 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
bandini
Manchester
Male - 24 Years Old
I hate Spanish people.We live in America, they need to speak American." To which I replied, "That is a nationality, not a language.

wait spanish people speak what?

if your gonna rant about people being racist, you should probably shouldn't use ignorance as your basis
the national language of Spain is Spanish, there not mutually exlcusive
01:39 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
I hate Spanish people.We live in America, they need to speak American." To which I replied, "That is a nationality, not a language.

if your gonna rant about people being racist, you should probably shouldn't use ignorance as your basis

You "should probably shouldn't" ever post on this site again.
01:41 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
zion the lion
pull over that ass is too fat.
Female - 21 Years Old

And the language we speak is English, we dont speak American in America.

Not like it even matters, I dont think we have an official language anyway.
01:43 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
paper halo
we're just a million little gods
Lincoln, UK
Male

He was saying that 'American' is a nationality, not a language.
01:47 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
bandini
Manchester
Male - 24 Years Old
[quote=zion the lion;86814031]And the language we speak is English, we dont speak American in America.

yeah i get that, my point got muddled, i just think he chose his response wrong, seems ignorant to say spanish is a nationality only... especially when trying to take the high ground on such a sensitive topic as rasicm

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos