Password
This Thread is Closed.

02:59 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
Hudson County, NJ
Male
Honestly, I've no problem with the use of the term between African-Americans, so long as it is used in terms of camaraderie; that is, one has a best friend and refers to them as "my n*gga".

Only people who come from Africa (not their ancestors) are African Americans.
03:06 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
Surprise, AZ
Male - 23 Years Old
Before I moved to Arizona, I was lucky enough to have never had a racist experience. Being Hispanic/Native American/Greek I get confused for a lot of different races and I grew up in New Mexico which was pretty cultural diverse.

About 6 months ago I was the mall in Glendale. I was on my way out the doors and saw a group of middle aged ladies behind me. So naturally I held the door open for them. One em said "I don't need you to hold the door open for me you fuckin spic." and the rest just laughed.

It was totally uncalled for and I was pretty taken aback. I don't know, to this day I'll sometimes think about and just wonder what the fuck.....
03:11 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Sunmaid
No Avatar Selected

03:23 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
Yeah, I'm (mostly) black. In high school they used to constantly ask me, "are you sure you're black?" due to my hair being less coarse/nappy and being light-skinned. I was further teased because I listened to rock music ("white music") and did well academically. You wouldn't think that those things would be an issue, but for some reason people hated that and therefore I was labeled as an "Oreo." Luckily I understood that those people are not the majority.

that's interesting, only because i just read this article about how middle-class blacks are looked-down upon or whatever by lower-class blacks; i.e. if you're black and grow up in the suburbs, you're not "as black" or whatever as someone who lives in the projects. there's also a problem with wanting to be academically successful vs athletically successful as a black person.

this reminds me of a debate i had with my sister about this story we heard on the radio about this mixed-race guy who had "grown up white" and whether that was a cultural or economic thing.
03:23 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
a nice person
Copeland fan level: Lotus bundle
SoCal
Male - 25 Years Old
I get called white boy when I'm hoopin' it up down at the old ballyard.

not sure if you're joking, but i do too.
03:28 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 26 Years Old
All of you "just a word" people are idiots.

I actually hate it when people utter the phrase "the n-word" rather than just saying n*gger or n*gga. It's the most condescending and arrogant possible way to be "politically correct." It also perpetuates discrimination.
03:29 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
apoemtothedead
ppppppppttttttttt.
TX
Male - 27 Years Old
Every other thing I say.
03:29 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
Tallahassee, FL
Male
you're racist if you don't allow me to use the n-word.

/notserious
03:30 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
if black people don't want others to say that word, don't say it in front of us. it's simple really.
White privilege is afoot.

I actually hate it when people utter the phrase "the n-word" rather than just saying n*gger or n*gga. It's the most condescending and arrogant possible way to be "politically correct." It also perpetuates discrimination.
Condescending and arrogant? See, I see people's discomfort to use it related to how we've stigmatized the word. I don't see it as condescending.
03:33 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
StephenYoung
dumb
Châteauguay, Quebec
Male - 22 Years Old
I get discriminated because I'm english in a hick-ass french province all the time.
I also associate the word ****** to the black version of rednecks. I wouldn't use it as a discriminatory term, but I use it with friends. Fuck people who are like "it's our word! you can't have it!". We're a society, not two different colours.
03:33 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 26 Years Old
White privilege is afoot.

Condescending and arrogant? See, I see people's discomfort to use it related to how we've stigmatized the word. I don't see it as condescending.

Which is fine, but then just avoid using it. When you say "the n-word" it signifies "n*gger." You don't actually avoid all the baggage, and in fact end up being MORE racist than you would have had you just said the word. It assumes there's a certain transcendent signified presence to "n*gger" that we need to somehow protect African-Americans from, which is just as racist as calling someone a n*gger.
03:34 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
about3fitty
Registered Member
Only people who come from Africa (not their ancestors) are African Americans.

and only if they're also american. a couple weeks ago i heard someone describe a black person from south africa as african american. i face palmed pretty hard.
03:35 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
zion the lion
pull over that ass is too fat.
Female - 22 Years Old

I dont see it as being arrogant. I think the actual word is ugly, it sounds horrible, I've never said it and I never want to, it makes me uncomfortable, so I think it's better to just say "n-word" instead of the actual thing.
03:36 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
Which is fine, but then just avoid using it. When you say "the n-word" it signifies "n*gger." You don't actually avoid all the baggage, and in fact end up being MORE racist than you would have had you just said the word. It assumes there's a certain transcendent signified presence to "n*gger" that we need to somehow protect African-Americans from, which is just as racist as calling someone a n*gger.
I remember I selected a poem to read in class when I was in high school and it had "n*gga" used fairly liberally. But the poem itself was amazing, wish I could remember the name.

The class was kind of taken aback, but my teacher seemed pretty content with the whole thing.

/uselessanecdote
03:39 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
Hudson County, NJ
Male
and only if they're also american. a couple weeks ago i heard someone describe a black person from south africa as african american. i face palmed pretty hard.

Exactly. Both have to apply. To tell you the truth, I thought being American was a given. Apparently not for that person you mentioned haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos