Username
Password

06:12 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
I don't know anyone who is hailing Obama's re-election as a triumph in humanity. Nor is this "a simple question." If we're going to be making hypotheticals, I could as easily say this kid's neighbor, had he not been droned, would have blown up a building himself and killed hundreds of children just like this boy.

Sorry, but you can't dumb down an entire presidential election to a single casualty of a single issue, especially when every viable alternative would have done the same thing.

Had legions of Obama's supporters rushed to a third party candidate on the (likely mistaken) belief that they would cease the drone program, what would have happened was Romney would win. Then we'd have more drone strikes in more countries like he promised we would. On top of that it would set human rights campaigns in our own country back ten years.

So no, I don't feel bad about re-electing Obama.

With that said, the drone thing is being completely ignored in mainstream America, and that definitely needs to change. It's an extremely inconvenient thought, so people ignore it rather than change it. I think with enough pressure from the people, Obama would pull back on the drone program. Luckily for him, we won't even try.
01:01 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
What hypothetical are you referring to? Its not a hypothetical that innocent children are being murdered as a result of this drone war. You're hypothetical is pretty ridiculous though, and would be hugely offensive to someone who's relative or friend was killed as a result of US drone strikes. Nor is it unreasonable to be morally opposed to such a thing in a way that the "single issue" is enough to abstain from voting at all.

The point of the article is that the Obama win isn't a cause for celebration. The article made your points (that one candidate may very well be better than the other in many areas), and understood that view as perfectly reasonable. And I think its a valid point considering half my friends went out and celebrated the Obama victory and half my Facebook feed was full of gloating (the other half was full of things about how this is the end of America).

I was referring to the article he posted using hypotheticals to appeal to the emotions:

But I didn't mean to put that much emphasis on that part of the article. Of course this happens and innocent people die and we need to be doing something about this, and like I said, talking about it (such as in this article) is a very good first step.

Should have been clearer, my bad. In my defense, I had just woken up haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos