Username
Password

10:45 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
Hm! Trying to understand it! Over here you pay 35% regardless of what you work with or what you earn, but when you go over a limit (which very very few people do) you have to pay 50% tax.

I'm jealous. Seriously.
11:05 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male
I don't know...the way he's describing it makes it sound almost like the flat tax some of the Republicans were pushing. Have everyone at one level, and then maybe a 2nd higher level for extremely high incomes.

But I don't know enough to know if their poor have to pay that 35% rate or if there are ways for lower income folks to pay less in taxes and etc

Well I look at the debt I'm for getting the education I want and the cost of me going to the doctor (and a health care system with huge problems in just about every area) and I am very jealous of their tax rate. Its because as tkamb said, they use their taxes to directly benefit the public in ways far more efficient than our system.
05:59 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male
It's not that simple! You get the ground education for free! And it's mandetory until your 16 years old, then you can choose a more specialized "gymnasium" for three years, that's free as well! But if you want to study on University or something like that you have to take a loan!

Our healthcare system is free, but when you turn 20 you have to pay! But it's cheap, like 100$ to fix a broken arm.
But our dental healthcare system is only free up to your 20th birthday. And then it becomes super expensive!

Everything I've read said University is free for Swedish and Swiss citizens. If it does cost money I doubt its anywhere near what we pay. And the healthcare is super cheap. 100 dollars to fix a broken bone is excellent.
According to this, a broken arm in the US costs around 2,500 dollars:
http://health.costhelper.com/broken-arm.html
08:30 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male
Yeah it costs! But you can loan money from the goverment to get the education! Everyone here has the right to studt what ever they want! My sister is studying to be a history/religion teacher, it's a five year education (and two extra if she want to be a professor or something).
She will be spending her life paying of the loans, since there is very few dorms or whatever connected to the school so she needs money for an apartment, food, internet, TV, electricity and other stuff! There are no universities here in our hometown.

I still can't find anything that says Swedish citizens pay for tuition. Seems like she is going in debt on living expenses? Does she work and go to school? I think you'd be surprised to compare the average US debt for college and the average Swedish debt.

Also I'm coming across these average 5 week vacations for jobs in Sweden. Does that seem right?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos