Username
Password

10:43 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
I currently live in Dallas. I want to get out. I have narrowed my search for another home down to Seattle, WA, Denver, CO or Austin, TX. If you had to live in one of those three cities, which would you choose and why?
12:30 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
If you're considering Denver and Seattle purely for the weed prospect, I would put a little more thought into it. As it stands, Seattle recreational use law mandates a 25% MANDATORY tax on all rec weed sold, for which, a store won't even open up for another 6-12 months, as recreational users can't use medical dispensaries for their shit, because the 2 are separated. That'll put the price of grams up somewhere around $18. Not only that, DUI laws are going into place in which if you've smoked within the last 1-2 days, you will fail the saliva tests and be charged with a DUI-D. I believe Denver has like an 18% tax too.

Not going for the weed. I could care less, I've never had a problem finding it legal or not. I just want a change of scenery. Dallas sucks, no inspiration or cultural progression anywhere.
12:38 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
To clarify everyone, I've been to both Austin and Seattle numerous times as I have relatives in both cities. I haven't spent as much time in Denver, but the majority of my friends put their votes in on that city. The biggest reasons being that the cost of living is cheaper than the west coast, but the city itself is just a prettier city than Austin....
I'm a hardcore libertarian, and vegan.... but I enjoy fast cars and shooting guns too, you know? So I'm somewhere in the middle... which is why Denver is at the top of my list at the moment.
12:39 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Seattle, because it's the only place I've been to out of your options and it is beautiful. I only go there a few times every few years for concerts, but I always love going, even though the last time I went I got lost a lot because of all their stupid road construction.

my girlfriend and I are making yearly trips there now after I took her this past spring. Breathtaking city.
12:40 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
love seattle, but the biggest misconception is the rain. we have far more grey overcast days than rainy ones, still equally as depressing though. summers up here are really what make the PNW amazing.

Yeah, I've been there in both seasons. I always describe it as a light mist all day.
12:41 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male

don't get me wrong, I love my weed. But that's not the driving factor here lol
12:47 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
You can start by crossing Austin off your list. Fuck Texas.

Possibly what I'm thinking as well. This state has beat me down and bled me dry with their ridiculous traffic fines and surcharges, backwards religious beliefs, and cash-hungry douches.
12:48 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
You shouldn't drive high anyway.

I drive quite well high, thank you.
12:53 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Odds are you aren't going to leave the state, so just settle with Austin. It's supposed to be one of the most awesome, exciting, cultural, artistic cities in the US. You live like, right next door, so take a road trip and check it out yourself.

Why do you say that? I have a job that I can transfer almost anywhere in the nation to.
I have been to Austin, many times. And I love it there. I've just never lived there.
12:28 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Probably because I was born and raised here but I would never want to live in Austin over Dallas. I think I would prefer Houston, honestly if I were to ever live in another Texas city. I like visiting Austin but I could never see myself living there. Out of your list ,though, I would chose Austin. But what is it that you're looking for in a city?

Whaaaat!? Houston is a terrible, gross city. I'm looking for a progressive, musical, friendly and fun place to live.
12:29 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Denver, dude. I have family from Aurora, which is very close to Denver, and here's why Colorado is the shit (aside from weed):

- Pretty much zero mosquitos (my aunt's friend flipped out and jumped onto a chair at the mere sight of a single mosquito flying by)
- Low humidity (dry heat beats humid heat any day in my opinion)
- Cheap real estate (living in CO is pretty darn cheap, my sister pays barely anything for rent out there)
- Skiing (Breckenridge is all I need to say.)
- Friendly people (I dunno, I'm from New England and it seems like people in CO are more cheery and open with each other. Just nice folks)
- You get snow and you get warm weather! Best of both worlds.

Thanks for the input man, good to hear from people who know those who live there.
12:31 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Then eeeehhh, on Seattle... It's perfect during the summers, but living here year round is an emotional roller coaster... It doesn't rain as much as people say, but 3/4 of the year is a grey, gloomy mess, and it makes you not wanna get outta bed in the mornings. That being said, I love the summers here, like I said, and the winter, if you're a boarder or ski-er, is real nice due to the proximity of all the Western Canadian mountains and the mountains we have here in state, but the rest of the year is just hell. And if you are a real progressive person, you'll get along with all the people here, which, I assume you are one, otherwise you wouldn't have considered it to begin with.

I have suffered from depression off and on my whole life. Not as much recently though, this has been the best year of my life...but I have thought about that as a factor in my decision.
04:02 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Oh yeah, the weather is HUUUUGE factor. I never really had problems with my happiness until I moved here and saw the off season. As soon as you open your eyes, and you realize your room is all clammy, and outside just looks like a dreary mess, you feel like staying wrapped up in your covers... It really is incredibly depressing, and an eye opener to see how much the weather actually affects you.

Hence why it has the highest suicide rate in the nation, correct?
04:04 PM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
It's Texas, I don't need a reason. While you're busy asking stupid questions, why not ask me to explain why I would hate being homeless or getting stabbed.

Austin is pretty much the only oasis in the state.
07:24 AM on 11/13/12 
User Info.
livingalive626
remember, remember...
Dallas
Male
Seattle doesn't have the highest suicide rate in the nation.

Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and Pensacola receive more rain annually than Seattle.

That being said, I've only ever driven through Denver and been to the Aurora area, really nice.

I'm from San Diego and went to school in West Texas and people always said I'd enjoy Austin a lot. I did. Austin is probably the one redeeming thing about that state. Lots of cool venues and super good restaurant.

I've lived in Seattle for about 5 months. I love it here. If I can make it through the winter then it will be a while before I leave.

You might check out Portland too.

Wow I guess I've always just believed what people told me about Seattle's suicide rate. Apparently it doesn't even make the top 15 list.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets