AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 16 posts.
11:45 AM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Wait..could this actually be a Christmas-themed EP full of songs like Happy Holidays...? Imagine if they did that.
If you think the band's gonna do songs like "I Won't Be Home for xmas" or "Happy Holidays" you haven't been paying attention to Blink-182. That would shock me to my absolute core.
11:55 AM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Really, not even for fun? It seems like if you're going to be with your old friends again there's no point in not having a little fun.
I would be shocked if they, at this stage in their lives and careers and ages, released music like that. I would bet they have a lot of fun making music together. I just don't think it's gonna sound like when they were in their early 20s.
12:20 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's also shocking that the band got together within one week and recorded a whole EP
Not all that shocking.
12:27 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Compared to two+ years of the band missing their self and label-imposed deadlines and hardly working in a room together?

That's a jarring, and shocking, difference to most people I think.
I still think people grossly misrepresent the time the band spent together writing songs. And this ignores all the time together on tour, etc. The band was touring like crazy, had other projects, and I'd assume recorded probably an EPs worth of songs in just as little of time.
12:27 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Can someone clear this up for me is this going to be a Christmas theme EP or an EP of new material? I thought it was the latter but I'm confused now!
No one knows yet.
12:40 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
They did a Europe and U.S. reunion tour followed by a bunch of postponements in terms of album release and touring, then they did a world tour following the album's release. It took them longer than any other recently reunited band to release their album. The recording process that has gone on for this new release could not be any more different from their last recording process. Maybe it's because there's no label - maybe it's because they're together and not emailing tracks - maybe it's because they already had the songs written. But there's no denying that this is a complete one-eighty from how they wrote and recorded for the last LP.
I have no idea why we compare "recent reunited bands" -- as though any of them are even close to the same level of popularity or size as Blink 182. Nor do I understand why we expect or demand a band to rush their time if they don't feel like that's in the best interest of what they do for a living ... make music.

How do you know? Are you in the studio with them this time and last? You have zero evidence to argue that this recording process could not be "any more different from their last" -- absolutely no way you can know that.
01:16 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I would say that repeated interview from Travis, Mark, and Tom stating that they worked in three separate studios last time and that for future material they will be recording in one room (like this EP) is 100% of the evidence most people are talking about?
You know they wrote songs in the same room last time, too, right?
01:19 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Where did you go with this topic? I never said they should rush to make music. I'm using facts that we ALL know - Zack pointed out some of them via interviews they've done - and saying that based on what we all know as fans, this recording process seems entirely different and the polar opposite to the approach taken on the LP. From taking that much time for an LP to taking only a week or so for an EP isn't similar in any way. Them being in the same room for the entire process is also the opposite of before. You can say "Hey man are you their producer? How would you know?" but hey none of us are their producer. I'm just making an argument based on publicly available information and to disprove that by saying "are you in the studio with them" is just one step away from "you can't review music if you don't play music." We are allowed to make our own inferences when weighing opinions on a message board...no matter how popular the band in question may or may not be.
Your first paragraph was all about timing.

No, you're drawing assumptions from barely related facts. You're taking things you know and extrapolating them to be evidence of the whole. That's assumption, not fact. Your analogy is not even close to true. What I am saying is that I DON'T KNOW either, I'm agnostic -- I'm not the one making claims without any real evidence. Big difference.

Sure, you're allowed to just make guesses all you want ... I mean, more power to you, you should just be aware that's all you're doing: guessing.
01:27 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'm not saying writing songs. I'm saying recording. They recorded this in a week in one studio. That's 100% different than the last process. There can't be any argument about that when each member has said it repeatedly. Many fans complained that they felt the album would've been better if recorded in one room. Therefore, many are shocked and excited that this recording process is a 180 flip from the last.
You know they wrote AND recorded some of the songs in the same room last time too, right? And that they recorded some songs on the S/T album not all in the "same room" too, right? And that Travis usually records drums and doesn't spend as much time in the studio after that, right? My point remains that people have a misconstrued view of how bands (including this one) record and write music ... and that all of this hoopla over the process is ridiculous.
01:37 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I do know that. I'm aware as well that Travis usually recorded drums and went out on tour with Transplants or someone else - as shown in Cheetah's Untitled videos. But they also lived in a house together and Mark and Tom were together.

I find this different because members have explicitly stated that they think this material will be better because the process last time was so different. Which shows it was different from prior albums pre-hiatus as well. And frankly, if Travis was in the studio 100% of the time, that's a shocking difference from all of their last processes too, isn't it?
If you're aware, why are you making claims of a 180 degree turn? Something that implies, directly, that the band did not record in the same room for songs last time? Or that this new recording (which we don't have much information about) is completely different than any time before? We have none of that information -- making any claim is just disingenuous conjecture.

The band members always say shit like that. They said their last album was the best thing ever, etc., as well ... their statements have always been that whatever they're currently working on is "better" -- that's how most bands are. I don't think Travis IS in the studio 100% of the time. I don't think any of them are in the studio 100% of the time. I think to make any such claim is flat out ignorant of how bands record.
01:42 PM on 11/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I meant that Travis did not leave for tour mid week in the process. Not that anyone of them never walked down the street or went to a doctors appointment while Mark was tracking bass or Tom doing vocals.
Do you know when they wrote all of these songs? Or if they're still recording? Or if Travis is in the studio right now? Or any of that?

We know none of this. So guessing is pointless.
12:13 PM on 11/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Not sure what the odds of this are, but looks like Travis Barker did an interview and says that the recording process was totally different cause they were all in the same room this time. He said it made the EP 100 times better than the last album. Weird!

So you just don't read my actual comments do you? Jesus Christ you're thick.
12:21 PM on 11/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Evidence to argue that this recording process is in fact different:

"Nearly all" - which was crux of everything I said. That they recorded an EPs worth of material in the same room last time as well. I did not say it was all the same or different. You did. If anything Travis comments back me up: nearly.
12:52 PM on 11/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
So you're going to extrapolate and guess that "nearly all" means that they recorded "an EP's worth of material in the same room last time as well"? And that Travis' comments today back up your theory of this more than the theory Zack and I posited?

I know an EP is 3-5 songs. And I know what songs the band wrote all together and such.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests