D: It has been a long road that we didn’t really know was leading here until recently. John and I have been talking and dreaming about a lot of the ideas put forth in the songs since we were nineteen. The music that has become this album started taking shape when John first moved to New York, a collision of a wild city, shaky ground, strange experiences and buzzing lights. John was writing the music alone, and it had many different forms, he was a Mariner and a Little Light before he became a Challenger. I was wrapped up inside of a movie that I wrote and directed called “Not Waving But Drowning” and started working with John on the music for it. The music is a huge part of the film and so much of our lives ended up in the songs. They became the beginnings of “The World is Too Much For Me”.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
J: I Hate Myself, Brian Eno, The Promise Ring, Echo & The Bunnymen
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
J: Umm, probably Gabriel.
J: Peter Gabriel - don’t just put Gabriel.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
D: The brains of anyone who comes to see us. ANYONE.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
J: If they want to feel better.
D: And dance.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
J: Cal Ripken, Jr.
D: Tiger Woods
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
D: I call one of my Grandmother’s “Grammy”. This question makes me think of winning a tiny statue of her.
9. Memorable tour experience?
We haven’t been on tour, yet!
10. What does AP.net mean to you?
J: I have been interested in AP since high school. It’s really important to have a place for new bands to get coverage they wouldn’t get otherwise.
11. What is your favorite song to play?
J: I Am Switches
D: Is There a Safe Place We Can Go?
12. What is your vacation spot of choice?
D: Home, the gulf.
13. What music reminds you of your childhood?
D: Tommy Roe, Nine Inch Nails
J: REM, Queen
14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
J: Command wild animals.
15. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
17. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
D: I love Delilah.
18. What do you like to do in your spare time?
J: River walk/Netflix/Nachos
19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
D: I think I may be that like, 1/4 of ladies who see more colors.