circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
this album is beautiful. this is why Deftones are so influential
07:08 AM on 11/15/12
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Great album. I've been a deftones fan for over 15 years and they have yet to truly disappoint. This album is a bit of a grower because it has a slower tempo at times but the atmosphere and textures on this album are amazing.

From an atmosphere standpoint, they haven't put out an album this cohesive since White Pony. As far as comparisons to ATF, I think some individual riffs may reference that but I definitely do not think this album as a whole is anywhere close sound-wise to ATF. ATF had this raw sound without all the layered textures that WP or this album have. This album is flush with dreampop and almost new wave synth and electronics. I love both ATF and this album but I see them as very different animals.

I really don't get why some people are hating on the production. It is a little different for a deftones album but I think it works really well with the sound on this album. I'd probably give the production an easy 7 and the album is easily an 8/10.
07:56 AM on 11/15/12
ChaseTx
So, is this a good place to start listening to Deftones?
08:02 AM on 11/15/12
sept. 18th
Monstar.
User Info.
Great album. Am i the only one that thinks entombed in the beginning sounds like the intro on Matchbook Romances, Stories and Alibis?
08:05 AM on 11/15/12
Simulcast
No more gold lights
User Info.
Yes. I would follow it up with White Pony.
08:06 AM on 11/15/12
Simulcast
No more gold lights
User Info.
Drew, this is a great review. You've touched on everything that I think is great about this album.
08:15 AM on 11/15/12
love_american_style
User Info.

No. Start with Adrenaline, then Around the Fur, White Pony, s/t, .... It's important to watch how they have progressed
08:16 AM on 11/15/12
love_american_style
User Info.
Drew, this is a great review. You've touched on everything that I think is great about this album.

Here I am.
08:19 AM on 11/15/12
Simulcast
No more gold lights
User Info.
08:39 AM on 11/15/12
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
It's been a real honor to watch this band's journey over the years. Seeing their latest interviews and how much a of a simpler process it is for them to get together and write compared to a decade ago, it really comes through in the music over these last two records.

There's an interesting throwback in the bridge of "Graphic Nature" where Abe plays the exact same beat from the chorus of "Digital Bath." Clever little rascal, that Cunningham.

Stellar review, Drew.
08:49 AM on 11/15/12
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
The production really brings this record down a notch or two. It sounds compressed as hell. Abe's drums get lost in the mix. Sonically doesn't have the impact it should.

But still a great fuckin' album... just loathe the production.
09:08 AM on 11/15/12
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
this is the album that will finally get me into the deftones.
09:21 AM on 11/15/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
The record is amazing, loved everything the first time listening to it.

What's so bad about the production? I like it.
09:52 AM on 11/15/12
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
great review for an amazing album. i'm so glad that deftones are fully back on their game. they never completely lost it, but i'll admit that Saturday Night Wrist was kind of a miss for me. I was weary when Diamond Eyes was being released but then blown away by how well they had come back to form. Koi No Yokan proves to me that they are showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
10:05 AM on 11/15/12
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
I love Romantic Dreams, Gauze and What Happened To You but it seems like some songs don't go anywhere which makes them too long (Entombed that tapping riff never ends, Graphic Nature) and bore me. anyway i've never loved one of their albums on the first listen (excepted Diamond Eyes) so it might be a grower as usual.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums