Username
Password

05:48 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
This is a topic which has eluded US media, ostensibly for more coverage of violence in the Middle East. My good friend is from Monterrey, once of the hardest hit areas in the violence, so this topic is always on my mind.

Low estimates point to 55,000 (This is reflected as the high estimate of the conflict in Syria) dead on both sides, including approximately 1,000 children killed. High estimates propose nearly 1,000,000 dead. 10,000 have disappeared while 1.6 million are displaced.

Personally, I think the drug conflict has become too violent for the USA to overlook any longer. Mexican authorities have proven futile against the drug cartel's power and numbers.

Discuss.
05:59 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
The War on Drugs have been a failure for decades. If Americans stopped using illegal drugs, then there would be no market for the Mexican cartels. Either convince millions of Americans from abstaining from drugs or legalize/privatize narcotic substances.

This is obviously the easiest and quickest solution as America could begin growing and supplying the world, rather than the USA needing imported narcotics.

Interestingly enough, the President of Mexico claims the recent legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado and Washington is "bad for Mexico." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2140116.html
10:40 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
I might've missed something, but where in the article did the Calderon say recent CO and WA legalization is bad for Mexico?

EDIT: Although I did read in another article that he thinks this means the US has lost status as a moral authority on drug prohibition--although this statement can be taken in either direction.

Some people are estimating that even just a few states legalizing could severely reduce the power of some of the Mexican drug cartels. Very interesting to see where things actually go for this.

Yeah I paraphrased Calderon's statement from another article, then when I came back to make this thread I clicked the first link, thinking it was that article. Thanks for bringing that up.

I think Mexico should legalize, at least the cartels wouldn't be at odds with the government. I suppose the DEA would still stick their nose into situations and create bloodshed, though.
11:13 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
I imagine if the government takes control of the sale, distribution, and growth of marijuana, the cartels will still use violence to keep control of the market. However, I look to the United States Prohibition, and everything seems to have gone swimmingly. Although another poster may be able to elucidate facts on the matter.
11:31 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
Here's a very very interesting read on the drug cartels of Mexico: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/ma...pagewanted=all

A bit longer, but very fascinating. I definitely recommend that anyone check it out.

Reminiscent of RATM's "Born of a Broken Man."

Elucidates perfectly the Zeta's, those who are performing most of the outrageous murders, decapitations, disappearances, etc... in Eastern and Northern Mexico.

I'll admit, I didn't know it was mainly one cartel acting out these crimes. Ostensibly, through the media, it is all the cartels, but truthfully it is the Zetas who are committing most of the crimes. And they aren't even afraid to admit it.

As I said in the OP, my roommate is from Monterrey, he has a few anecdotes of visiting bars and other places which were minutes later battle grounds. His family who lived in Monterrey received death threats and eventually relocated from the area.
02:14 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
US media's ignorance of the War in Mexico.

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-vie...-caravan-peace

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1563250.html

This gem was found:

"WASHINGTON -- Mexico's U.S. ambassador rebuffed claims this week that the country's efforts to reduce the flow of guns from the U.S. to drug cartels in Mexico amounts to an attack on American gun ownership rights."
02:46 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
I just listened to NPR and they focused on an article, and the title I missed, but it talked about Mexico outside of its current violence. I think it was called "Mexican gangland..." or something to that effect in the NYTimes. Furthermore, the president elect of Mexico is meeting with Obama this week to discuss more trade and not focusing on "the border" situation.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets