Username
Password

01:38 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 27 Years Old
Tolerance doesn't mean tolerating intolerance, it means being able to differentiate between harmless differences and harmful differences. There are plenty of teachings from and aspects of religion that I've never saw reason to take issue with, even if I find fault with the premise behind the beliefs. That's because I can understand the desire for humans to want to believe in things beyond what they're capable of seeing or understanding. I can understand how scary it is to confront the possibility that what we do in our lives doesn't amount to anything greater than what we've already experienced, that our existences may ultimately be pointless.

If that's all religion was, just a mechanism for comfort, you would find it relatively tolerated and unassailed. No one gives Buddhists or the Amish shit about things. It's when religion is used as a mechanism for discrimination against those who don't share the same beliefs that it lends itself, justifiably, to criticism and accusations of intolerance. Feeling your religion takes precedent over the rights of gay people to be happy, supersedes a woman's decision about whether or not she brings a kid into this world, or interferes with the ability to teach elementary science in schools, are not stances without consequence; they're not harmless differences. They adversely affect the lives of other individuals while being of no detriment to the rights you're personally guaranteed. That makes those, and any beliefs alike, unworthy of tolerance for tolerance's sake.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets