Username
Password

07:30 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
So after kickin it with the rents for a couple years post-college it is time for me to head out on my own. I checked out my first place, (found on craigslist from an ad I had posted looking for a small 1 BR/studio apartment.) I checked it out not knowing the rent but knowing it was a small basement apartment. So naturally it was smaller than it seemed in the pictures, dirty, and had dead spots in the floor. There was a small mini fridge and no room for a larger, and no stove/oven only a hot plate. It was furnished but not well and there was a ratty futon in the middle of the room. In my head I was like $500 a month a most but the guy told me it'd be $600. CT has some of the highest rents for sure but this wasn't really in a super desirable area or anything. Based on some similar places I've looked at online this seemed a bit high. Sorry for rambling but I was just looking for a second opinion. Should I hold out for better or is this what I can expect?
08:11 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
That's what I was feeling. Frustrating thing is all the nice one bedrooms where I'm looking are like $750 and nice 2 bed rooms are like $900, but all my friends are living with their girlfriends weeehhh
08:33 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
I've always lived with friends/roommates and am now currently living with my girlfriend, which is a 2 bedroom for $975 (basically a STEAL in a nice northern Chicago neighborhood). Have you thought about looking on criagslist for roomies? That's how I found 2 guys I lived with for about 9 months and lucked out that they weren't weirdos, were my own age, and we got along pretty well.

Yeah I've thought about it, pretty hesitant though haha.
12:13 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
Wow thanks for all the good, honest responses! For people who seem to know CT; it is on the Vernon-Bolton line about 25 minutes east of Hartford and 15 west of Storrs just off rt. 6. I'm definitely gonna keep looking. My parents arent kicking me out so I'd much rather live in a nice house for free for the team being haha.
03:15 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
How far is that from East Lyme, Mystic, New Haven, Niantic or New Britain? Just wondering because I have family from those places but am unfamiliar with any other parts of CT xD. If you're looking at moving near one of those towns I may be able to ask one of my cousins if they know what normal rent seems to be around there and if they have any suggested apartment buildings they've heard good things about that friends live at or something.

It's not really too close to any of those places, but nothing in CT is too far apart.
08:38 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
Five years ago, I lived in Thompson, CT (northeast corner, about 30 miles from where you're looking at). I paid $625 a month and my place was more than twice as better as to what you described (1BR, living room, bathroom, fully functioning kitchen but no washer/dryer). Don't know what the going rate now is. I went to school at UConn so I sort of know the area you're in. If you want to remain in that area, look for places in rural/working class towns. My place in Thompson was in a multi-family home, which is common in the area. And I prefer reaching out to realiters that do apartments. For some reason, I just don't trust craigslist.
Yeah that is a much cheaper area, being further from Hartford. I almost got transferred to Putnam which would have meant a definite move and much cheaper rent.
01:11 PM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old

I love seeing this pic every time I check this thread.
06:04 PM on 11/25/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
So, the guy said he got such a good impression from me that he'd over me the rest of the house 2BR 2bath, full kitchen, living room, etc all house things for $850. Gonna check it out with a buddy later this week.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos