Username
Password

10:40 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
jasonisasleep
No Avatar Selected
Seattle, WA
Male
Today, I celebrate my 90 days with a physical therapy company. The upside to that is now I get paid for holidays (just in time for the big ones!) .... The downside? This place is terrible. My therapists are wonderful and so is the office staff. But the people higher up the ladder are conniving snakes, among other things. While I could go on, I'll cut to the chase:

What is the "polite" amount of time to stay with a company before moving on?

I have a marketing degree ad this has always been meant to be temporary. But now 3 of my therapists are leaving within a 2-month time frame, and we all share the same view of the higher-ups. I've begun applying for marketing/graphics jobs, but is it too soon? Would future employers view 3-4 months with a company distasteful?

Aside from that, blow off some steam and tell me why you hate your job.

Future employers would most likely see 3-4 months at a company as a negative thing, however if you interview just be sure to stress that your dream career/degree is in the marketing/design field and that is why you are applying for new positions. If I were you, I would begin applying for new jobs around the 6 month mark, that way any interview you get you really won't have to explain yourself as 6 months (and companies I've worked for agree) is a standard time to "give" to a position before exploring other options.
08:21 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
jasonisasleep
No Avatar Selected
Seattle, WA
Male
Unfortunately, I was thinking along the same lines. Its really difficult, although I understand the importance of wanting to set myself up for a more stable position in the future.

Cheers to those who make their career in the medical field. Just had another mom cuss me out over the phone because *she* misunderstood the day her daughter was supposed to start therapy. Y'all work wonders, seriously.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Although, I am interested in hearing about everyone else's careers!!

Well, I'm 30 and spent from 16 to 25 focused solely on playing in bands and trying to further my music career. I had a lot of great experiences, and released some great music, but at 25 I started to realize that it may just not happen for me. I am not really interested in a lot other than music career wise, but I finished my bachelors in psychology hoping that I would grow to love it as much as I do music and find something within the field to make a career out of. I was working on a masters degree in counseling, but realized that it wasn't really what I want to do. The last 5 years have seen me getting married, buying a house, growing with my company that I started working at when I was 25 which has enabled me to move across country (from Austin, TX to CT and back to Austin, TX) for job promotions. I am moving to Seattle next week for another promotion (and because my wife and I really want to live in Seattle) and I will be the first to admit that I do not love my job in the least. The worst of times I hate it, the best of times I can tolerate it. Hopefully this new position will be a bit better, but I do not expect to find love or passion within this "career" path. I hope to start playing music again in Seattle as I have some connections and people that want to jam up there, and hopefully that will bring me the happiness I lack in my career. I am still holding onto the idea that I will one day get to do what I love for a living, but until then, I've got a family to provide for and bills to pay.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets