Woodstock Mafia - 11.20.12
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
It was a process of skinning up, drinking beer and throwing words on a wall. Then we asked our drummer what he thought. Drummers serve a purpose.
2. How did this band get started?
Nick (guitar) and Ryan (bass) have known each other for years, and found Owen (drummer) on gumtree (a colonial world CraigsList), and Joe (vocals) had been working with Ryan on a different project at the time.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Foo Fighters, Muse, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Billy Clyro, Bloc Party, Wolfmother, Incubus
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Foo Fighters for the fame, Radiohead for the weirdness, Muse for the overall display of awesomeness
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Biltong (local beef jerky)
6. Why should people listen to your band?
It's not too bad, and we have a kick-ass music video for Electric Light.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I think we'd probably choose to be rugby players -rugby is a major sport in South Africa. Or play golf. Owen would probably want to surf all day.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would want to go across Africa and educate people on modern forms of music, bring them influence from other parts of the world. If one considers the likes of Vampire Weekend and their ilk, its well evident that folks in developed countries can get their hands on practically everything. We want to share rock 'n roll.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Getting arrested in Johannesburg (the land of District 9) for drunk driving and possession, and bribing the cop with R200 (about $30) to be let off.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Its an amazing portal - one we wish we had discovered sooner.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Anything that's new, but our current singles Electric Light and Rebel Dreams do get a great crowd response.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Mozambique or the Transkei Coast in South Africa
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Guns n Roses, The Beatles and Phil Collins
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability to predict lottery numbers...
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Warms up, group hugs, Jager shots
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Joe played provincial (state) rugby and cricket. Nick is a published author. Owen makes his own surfboards. Ryan has 11 toes.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Even locally in South Africa, where we are dominated by pop and urban music, we're getting national radio play. Our market, or at least our perceived market, is in Eastern Europe and Central and South America - at least we'd dig to go touring there.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We do our day jobs.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Joe is a brilliant woodworker. Nick is a master chef of note. Owen is really into bonsai and his garden. Ryan is a voice over artist.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |