Password

Album Review

Of Cities - Of Cities Album Cover

Of Cities - Of Cities

Reviewed by
Of Cities Ė Of Cities
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: October 30th, 2012
A few weeks ago, a guy named Blake messaged me on Absolutepunk.net, and asked me to review his bandís new album, which is a self-titled record that would be out in a week or so. Well, I told him I would, and I actually downloaded the record when it came out, but Iíve been so busy, that I didnít have a chance to review it until now. It completely slipped my mind, and I hope he sees this, because I am quite sorry about that. Aside from the apologies, I was quite eager to listen to this, because the RIYL he gave me was quite promising. If youíre wondering, it was Oceana, Thrice, Bright Eyes, and stuff like that. Basically, Iím a fan of all three bands, so I was quite interested. So how is it?

Well, itís not that bad, but Iíll be honest; itís not the best record Iíve ever heard, either. I donít want to see this is terrible, because itís not. I would say the RIYL holds true, to a degree. If anything, itís an EP, because itís only about 20 minutes long. It starts off with ď4-5-11,Ē and itís a two-minute acoustic song that has some very interesting vocals. Blake reminds me of Conor Oberst, to some degree. They donít sound alike, but he does remind me of him, nonetheless. The song has a very experimental sound, certainly like that of Oceana and Thrice. If the two bands make acoustic music exclusively, this is sort of what would happen. Itís quite interesting, and it gets me pumped to listen to the rest of it, basically. Second track ďRed SunĒ leads me to the first problem with this CD, it sounds so similar all the way through. In a way, itís forgivable, because itís only 19 minutes, but it does sound very similar all the way through. It almost just feels like one long song. Despite that, it is enjoyable. Itís not generic, because it actually sounds really interesting. Itís nothing Iíve quite heard before, and itís worth listening to. Also, you can download the album for free on Of Citiesí bandcamp, which I will link below. Overall, this is a very ďchillĒ EP that should suit fans of experimental, indie, and acoustic music.

Recommended If You LikeOceana, Thrice, Bright Eyes, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. 4-5-11
2. Red Sun
3. We Were September
4. Thomas
5. Disappear
6. Moving Statues
7. Falls Apart
8. XVIII

Of Cities is:
Blake

www.facebook.com/of-cities

citiesofficial.bandcamp.com
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:34 PM on 11/22/12
Speed512
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So where can i find this EP?
08:20 PM on 11/22/12
justbradley
User Info.
So where can i find this EP?
I linked to their bandcamp below, so you can find the EP for free download right there.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos