AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Uh Huh Baby Yeah! - 11.21.12

Uh Huh Baby Yeah! - 11.21.12

Interviewed by
Uh Huh Baby Yeah! - 11.21.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Uh Huh Baby Yeah!

http://uhhuhbabyyeah.com
http://facebook.com/uhhuhbabyyeah
http://twitter.com/uhhuhbabyyeah
http://uhhuhbabyyeah.bandcamp.com
http://littleheartrecords.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Kevin: We used to have a different name. When we signed with Little Heart Records, we decided to change it. We had a song called Uh Huh Baby Yeah! that we named after a girl we knew and felt it embodied everything we had become. It was catchy, hooky and we identified with it.

Sean: My future ex-wife's AIM screen name.

Blake: Don't "quote" me on this, but I believe it was from sex noises... haha. No, before I joined the group, they were under a different band name at the time but had a song called "Uh Huh Baby Yeah!", which was not only one of my favorite songs, but EVERYONES favorite song. It definitely defined the band in more than one way. The sound, the look, had somewhat of a sex appeal to it and it stuck.

Joe: Iron Maiden was already taken.

John: Our drummers future ex-wife.

2. How did this band get started?

Kevin: Weíve been a band for around 10 years. Weíve been under different names, genres, had different members...but, Sean and I have played together since forever. UHBY! has been what it is now for about 3 of those 10.

Sean: We've been playing together since high school, but this band came into fruition when we decided to simply play the music we like, music we can call our own... instead of the music that was considered "cool". Trust me, its not cool to be a pop/rock band in Louisville, KY.

Blake: The dudes all grew up with each other. That about sums up my answer for that question haha

Joe: I showed up with my own gear. I was pretty much in after that.

John: I joined in 2004/2005. At the time, we werenít happy with the music we were writing so we regrouped, changed our game and realized we needed something better...something thats gonna put us on the map and blow people away. Kevin had a few songs he had been working on so we got to work and went from there. The rest is history.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Kevin: Jimmy Eat World, Michael Jackson, Elvis, Queen, The Cab, The Used, Glassjaw and tons of others.

Sean: Queen, Michael Jackson, Motley Crue, Refused, Head Automatica, Cobra Starship

Blake: Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Blink-182

Joe: Katy Perry, Saves The Day, Queen, Jimmy Eat World, Mastodon, Refused, Recover, Emanuel

John: Its hard to list musical influences because I listen to such a variety of genres, but when I started playing guitar I listened to a lot of Saves the Day, Midtown, Get Up Kids, Hot Rod Circuit, Recover and Jimmy Eat World. Here lately, I've been listening to the Foo Fighters.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Kevin: Any of the bands/artists I mentioned above. It really would be a dream come true.

Sean: Queen and Michael Jackson. I mean, you'd literally have the greatest artists of all time collaborating on one stage.

Blake: I would have to say Guns n' Roses in their prime AKA "Appetite for Destruction" days... Late 80's Early 90's.

Joe: The Beatles... because they are the greatest band on the planet.

John: I would love to go on tour with Saves The Day. They were a big influence when I first started playing music. I'd also love to have been able to go on tour with Motley Crue in 80's.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Kevin: Pork rinds.

Sean: The peanut butter Pop-Tart sandwich.

Blake: I'm a huge fan of local dive diners & home town restaurants. I love the history & atmosphere each place has to offer. It's like every place has its own personality, seems super interesting to me... but if you just give me pizza, I'm a happy camper.

Joe: Fast

John: We eat a lot of ramen on tour, but the ultimate food would have to be the chocolate pop tart, peanut butter sandwich.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Kevin: Because weíre good at what we do and we write music that people want to hear. 9 times out of 10, if you havenít heard of us when you walk in the door, you wonít forget us when you leave.

Sean: Sometimes music doesn't have to be about complexity. It doesn't have to be about screams, breakdowns, deep dark lyrical content. Sometimes music needs to be about cutting loose, drinking with your friends, shaking your ass, picking up a stranger, being young, and living on the wildside. If you're interested in those things... then you MUST listen to my band.

Blake: If you're a person that likes to dance, head bang & feel emotion...I strongly feel that our music shows all those feelings. We love to have fun & the music we make has a lot of the elements that make people enjoy music. I say, come see us live... & let us know if you felt anything.

Joe: Why shouldn't they. It's all about having a good time and letting loose. Who wants to listen to sad music all day?

John: I believe our music speaks for itself. in a world of hardcore and dubstep, weíre bringing back that raw, rock sound mixed with a pop sensibility that makes you wanna dance. Its one thing to listen to our music, but once you see us live, we'll leave you wanting more.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Kevin: Muhammad Ali. (before Parkinsonís) He was cocky and knew how to command a crowd.

Sean: Rob Dyrdek. I would love to have three successful shows, a factory filled with fantasy, and be able to stare at Chanel West Coast every day.

Blake: Sean White, We have the same hair itís just a different color. Oh, & Ďcause he was the little mermaid for Halloween this year. You can't top that brilliance.

Joe: Michael Jordan, so I could star in Space Jam 2.

John: David Beckham. I played soccer when I was younger and always wanted to be better at it, but I was just horrible. Plus, who doesn't wanna be married to a Spice girl?

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Kevin: All the people that have stuck by me and helped me to obtain my success, as well as the ones that jumped ship and said it would never happen. Both would be equally responsible.

Sean: Everyone who ever told me I'd never amount to anything.

Blake: The people that really stood by me through everything.

Joe: My mom, my family, and my bandmates. And myself.

John: I'd definitely thank my mom. She's always been a strong supporter of my music and has helped me out immensely along the way.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Kevin: I would change the slump that music has gotten into in general. The industry seems to think they know what people want. What they donít know is the shit they keep regurgitating is the reason for awful album sales. People are starving for something real and they just arenít getting it, and the day they do is the day theyíll start buying again.

Sean: I would love for the business to be able to take a chance on new and young bands. Give them the time and ability to grow instead of putting out one record and if it doesn't sell millions, drop them. It seems the major players are simply investing in those they have manufactured themselves.

Blake: Get rid of the labels that only sign bands to make money. It should be about the real talent in the songwriting / true vision that the band shares & has to offer.

Joe: I wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe that someone would give us a contract. Maybe a Ferrari. Some money would be nice.

John: I'd take away auto tune. Weíre lucky enough to have a singer who doesn't need it. I think the industry needs more true, talented musicians and not just a pretty face who can half ass do their job and have it doctored up in the mix.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Kevin: The Crystal Vision Tour w/ Aesthetics Vs. Architecture and Your Favorite Hero. Myrtle Beach, SC. We were naked on the beach and jumping from our balcony on the 2nd floor into the swimming pool. Insanity.

Sean: The time we accidentally set a girl's apartment on fire... long story.

Blake: This last summer being apart of the Vans Warped Tour.

Joe: John Braboy jumping off the second story balcony of a fleabag motel, butt crack naked, into a pool.

John: Everyday on tour is memorable for me. As a band on the road, you meet so many strange, awesome people. Anytime we played w/ Secret Lives of the Freemasons or The Nova Echo; those dudes are always gonna be family to us. This past summer, our Myrtle Beach, SC date was insane.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Kevin: AP.net means a lot to me and others in this industry. You guys keep people informed on good music and do what you can to spread the word. We couldnít ask for anything better.

Sean: AP.NET is the place to go to keep up with all your favorite bands from yesterday and today, as well as find out about all the hot upcoming bands coming up in the world. To be a part of a website so important to our music business is a genuine thrill.

Blake: It's AbsolutePunk... that's where you go to find out damn near anything you're looking for when it comes to being a music lover.

Joe: Its a great place to find new artists for my playlist, and keep up with my favorites.

John: Its a place where people can go to check out whatís new with up and coming bands. I still check it out frequently to see what was going on in the world of music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Kevin: My favorite right now is, ďDead FriendsĒ. The message is very personal and I mean every word every night we play it. Plus, the shit just jams.

Sean: My favorite song of ours to play has to be our namesake song "Uh Huh Baby Yeah!". This is our set opener, and the energy is electric during this song with everyone singing along and shaking their bunz.

Blake: All of them. I can't pick a favorite.

Joe: "Whores will be Whores" off the upcoming record... or "Blood and Thunder" by Mastodon.

John: My favorite song to play off Till Death would have to be our single, Sweet Summer. The new songs we've been working on for our upcoming EP "Trash Talk" are quickly taking over though. They're some of the best songs we've written thus far, and I canít wait to show them to the world.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Kevin: The beach. Put me on the East or West Coast with good friends and tons of drinks and Iím set.

Sean: Anywhere with women and alcohol. I can get along on the beach, in the mountains, in the city. Just give me a drink and point me towards the hot local singles.

Blake: St. Petersburg FL. It's always felt like a second home to me.

Joe: California. Because its warm. And awesome.

John: Alaska. I went with my grandparents when I was 9 for the summer, and it was amazing.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Kevin: Anything from Michael Jacksonís Bad album. My mom and I played that record to death. She still has a cassette tape (thatís right!) with me singing ďBadĒ at 2-3 years old.

Sean: Michael Jackson. He has easily been my favorite artist ever since I was old enough to remember. I can't hear Billie Jean or PYT without thinking about my sister and I moonwalking in our socks across the kitchen floor.

Blake: The band Heart.

Joe: Saves The Day and Blink 182. Thats what inspired me to want to be in a band... and because thats what my brother was into.

John: My sister and I sang "I Will Always Love You" for my Mom on Mothers Day hahaha! Everytime I hear Whitney Houston, I can still see us down in my grandmas basement trying to make sure we got it right.

15. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Why?

Kevin: Telekinesis. Iíve always wanted to be able to move things without touching them. Think about it, I could sit on the couch and just open the fridge and get a beer...with my mind.

Sean: Mind control. You can use it to gain power, money, glory, etc. etc. And you could totally use it to re-enact that dinner scene from Beetlejuice at pretty much any family function.

Blake: Being able to fly. I fucking love Peter Pan.

Joe: Shapeshifting. So I could be Justin Bieber. And mack on Selena Gomez.

John: I'd probably go with Hulk like strength. I could finally fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming an arm wrestling champion like Sly Stallone in "Over The Top."

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Kevin: I always do a few scales to warm up before going on.

Sean: I regularly do push ups right before we play to get the blood pumping and to loosen up the old limbs. And to make my muscles appear really really impressive.

Blake: About an hour before I play a show, I like to step away for about a good 20 - 30 minutes & take some time to myself & just think/collect my thoughts. Oh, & I love to chew gum when I play haha

Joe: Frequent bathroom breaks.

John: I don't really have any. I usually just try to have a few beers and make sure all the gear is together and ready to go.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Kevin: Iím married to a wonderful woman and I have 2 kids (boy 1, girl 4).

Sean: I used to weigh in at 315 pounds. Utilizing a steady diet and regular exercise, I have been able to lose over 115 pounds and go from a size 44 waist to a size 32, and a size XXL shirt to a Medium.

Blake: The obsession that I have with alien existence & outside life.

Joe: I joined this band when I was only 14 years old.

John: I'm an Eagle Scout. Most people look at me like I'm joking, but I started as a cub scout and finished it out.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Kevin: I think radio is in that in between phase of music. There are some good things going on and the rest just sounds the same. I think the radio needs bands like us to help cut the fat. People want that rock band to come back and take the radio over. Thatís us.

Sean: I think that the radio is a great tool, and I believe our band could totally flourish on both mainstream and internet radio. I personally still listen to the radio every day, whether its Top 40, Classic Rock, Country, etc. Its one of the great free things left in this society.

Blake: Let's just say, if the radio stations gave more bands a chance the radio would be a lot better to listen to. I know that a few stations have been starting to give some of the "smaller" bands a chance, but to answer your question, YES! I totally think that UHBY really has a hook that everyone would wanna listen to on the radio.

Joe: I love listening to the radio. I think our band would absolutely flourish in this medium. The hooks are catchy, the lyrics are relatable, and the music is good.

John: The current state of radio is kind of a joke. There are still some good bands out there that are truly talented and continue to amaze me, but the majority of music is all digital. It seems like no one plays their instrument anymore.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Kevin: Aside from writing music, I enjoy hanging with my family and friends.

Sean: I enjoy having a few drinks, going out, I'm also a huge movie buff, and have been known to rant on my favorite and least favorite films. I also write and produce my own short films.

Blake: One of my all time favorite pass-times is sitting in my car, listening to music very loud. I do this almost every night, mostly when Iím alone. I know, sounds sexy right?

Joe: Sleep. And play Halo. Don't want to brag, I'm a 50 rank.

John: Like any struggling musician, I have a day job, but when I'm not working I usually go out and hang with friends. If I'm not out and about I'm working on music, catching up on tv shows and movies, and just living life.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Kevin: Iím one hell of a whistler. Check out the intro track to our first album. You hear those harmonizing whistles? Yeah, thatís me.

Sean: I have been told I am actually an impressive dancer. Throw on on some MJ and I'll show you what I'm talking about...

Blake: I can quote Ghostbusters better than you can.

Joe: I can juggle... drunk. I'm also kind of a pool shark, but that's not really hidden. I make that fact known at bars and strip clubs around the nation.

John: I'm still trying to harness my hidden talent, which is juggling. Joe and I are currently working on a dual juggling routine for the circus.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:09 PM on 11/21/12
CrewysLane
User Info.
these guys are awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT