AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Titus Andronicus - Local Business Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 10
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.58
Musicianship 6.83
Lyrics 7.25
Production 6.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.33
Average: 69%
Inside AP.net

Titus Andronicus - Local Business

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (11/22/12)
Titus Andronicus - Local Business
Record Label: XL Recordings
Release Date: October 23, 2012

‘Okay, I think by now we’ve established that everything is inherently useless’.

Titus Andronicus is a punk rock band. They embody everything that punk rock is and should be. From their ramshackle delivery to their working class hero ethos, Titus Andronicus are one of the most relevant punk bands in the world today. Their third album, Local Business is a punk ‘n’ roll roller-coaster complete with rabble rousing choruses, rough vocals and deeply personal vocals to boot.

Titus Andronicus have had a hard time of it and Local Business never stops letting us know it. Kicked off by the Bruce Springsteen meets Ramshackle Glory-esqueness of "Ecce Homo", the track is basically what happens when you disguise negative emotions under the guise of punchy, bouncy punk rock. With the afore-quoted lyric and it’s lyrical peers within the album, Titus Andronicus quickly identify themselves as highly skilled downbeat poets. Throughout the record, the lyrics are some of the best of the year. Whether it’s the brutally honest lyrics of "My Eating Disorder" which deal with singer, Stickles, battle with his eating disorder or the somewhat wide-eyed words of "In A Big City", they take it all with a gritty realism and sense of humour which not only makes the album more accessible but also renders the record all the more likable for its wit.

Aside from lyrical performance in the record, Titus Andronicus certainly know how to write a catchy, bouncy punk rock song. Putting aside how bloody depressing the lyrics can be at times, the release is actually a lot of fun. The aforementioned opener is a bounce-along anthem complete with guitar solo and the odd burst of ‘whoa’. “Food Fight!” also fits into this section. With it’s entire lack of lyrics, apart from the occasional gang exclamation of “Food Fight!”, it’s a minute of complete and utter fun. “My Eating Disorder” is a highlight of the record with the line “I know the world’s a scary place/ that’s why I hide behind a hairy face” being one of my favourite lyrics of the year so far. It’s the juxtaposition of such serious lyrical themes with upbeat, catchy musical backgrounds that make Titus Andronicus the great band that they are and Local Business the excellent album that it is.

Closer, “Tried To Quit Smoking” is the opus of the album with its ten minute drunken stomp. Sounding somewhat like “My Way” for someone who’s spent too long touring punk venues, it’s a superbly unepic epic and is the perfect close out to the record. Overall, Local Business is the sound of a band who don’t take themselves too seriously, whilst being serious. They successfully marry what’s great in the worlds of punk rock and indie rock and present it to us in a fun, memorable way. The only time the record comes across as flawed is the manner in which certain tracks happen to run into each other, however largely, this is easy to ignore when the rest of the record is so great. Local Business is certainly the business.

Recommended If You LikeJapandroids; Andrew Jackson Jihad; The Hold Steady; punk for hipsters

Track Listing1. Ecce Homo
2. Still Life With Hot Deuce On Silver Platter
3. Upon Viewing Oregon's Landscape With The Flood Of Detritus
4. Food Fight!
5. My Eating Disorder
6. Titus Andronicus Vs The Absurd Universe (3rd Round KO)
7. In A Big City
8. In A Small Body
9. (I Am The) Electric Man
10. Tried To Quit Smoking

Band Members
Eric Harm
Julian Veronesi
Liam Betson
Adam Reich
Patrick Stickles

Official Site
Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
05:29 PM on 11/22/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
A good album, but definitely a regression from The Monitor. Which isn't so bad since that was pretty much the point. RIYL The Replacements.
07:50 PM on 11/22/12
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great album. Agree with most that it is no The Monitor but I mean that album was something else entirely. This is a break from that i'd say
12:00 AM on 11/23/12
leftapart
User Info.
Definitely going to check this out; thanks for the recommendation!
06:38 AM on 11/23/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
"My Eating Disorder" is probably my favorite song of theirs (for a lot of reasons) but overall The Monitor is still their strongest album. Not at all disappointed with this one though and they're easily one of the best in NJ right now
06:43 AM on 11/23/12
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Awesome album. It's not The Monitor but that's okay. Also agreed big time about RIYL The Replacements.
09:44 AM on 11/23/12
grimis16
User Info.
I keep going back to this, trying to enjoy it...but I just can't. Like the Monitor, though I wasn't a huge fan.
10:36 AM on 11/23/12
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
THE FIRST LINE IS WORTHLESS. NOT USELESS.
10:36 AM on 11/23/12
Hindenburg
DIY Guy
User Info.
oh man i wonder if this bands punk? that point was only made 8 times.
12:42 PM on 11/23/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
lol this review was hilarious

band is kinda lame though
02:03 PM on 11/23/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
oh man i wonder if this bands punk? that point was only made 8 times.
I felt like the point was needed. People call them an indie band... THEY'RE CLEARLY A PUNK BAND!
05:34 PM on 11/29/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Album reminds me of the Clash in many ways. Really enjoy it.
05:39 PM on 11/29/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
Album reminds me of the Clash in many ways. Really enjoy it.
A wild Chris Fallon appears! Missed you around these parts man.
01:30 AM on 11/30/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
A wild Chris Fallon appears! Missed you around these parts man.
I miss it here, too. I feel like I only visit the site when I'm riding the bus home from work. Need to make more time to get back in action here.
05:24 AM on 11/30/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
I miss it here, too. I feel like I only visit the site when I'm riding the bus home from work. Need to make more time to get back in action here.
Yeah man you were one of the first staff members I started paying attention to when I first started lurking here...well almost five years ago, shit. And I first heard about Gaslight because of your 59 Sound review sooo...I'd consider myself a fan of your work haha. Would love to see you around here more!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests