AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Scholar - Scholar Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Scholar - Scholar

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (11/23/12)
Scholar - Scholar
Record Label: Witter Entertainment
Release Date: March 27, 2012

My backpack is decorated in band pins. I have Thrice, Midtown, The Starting Line, Green Day, Rise Against. And Scholar. They're probably the only band I listed that you don't know. And you should change that.

Scholar is a pop punk band. A good pop punk band. This band is comprised of Jon Lapola on vocals and guitar, Robert Stevens on bass, James Cilano on guitar, and drummer Mike Wilkinson, although Steven Blaqart handled the vocals on their self-titled debut.

And his vocals are very good. Very good. They stand out particularly on the single, "All the Way to the Sun," in which he sings, "One night won't be enough/ if we stop who's gonna wait for you?/ Just keep on running." He has an amazing range, going from a more gravelly to higher pitch quickly. This is best exemplified in "Everything is Backwards."

The band behind him isn't bad either. They can craft catchy lines, as shown in the horribly-titled "It'd be Easier to Believe You (If Your Pants Weren't on Fire)." The beginning on "Capture/ Release" reminds me of "Come On" buy Midtown (that is a compliment of the highest caliber). The bridge of "Sun" is slower and quieter, and actually the best part of the entire song, leading perfectly into the chorus.

Blaqart's lyrics mostly focus on trying to live his own life. "Caught up in the rat race/ trapped in a big white maze/ looking for an exit sign to escape sorrow of life," he sings in "Everything is Backwards." He tells us in "They're With the Trolls" that "they are low opinion/ they are low desire to live/ they are vacant and lost just like the other ones."

The album ends with the lines, "Now that we're here/ I can tell you/ we're never coming home." Scholar has made it there, and never are coming home.

Recommended if You LikeThe Swellers, The Wonder Years, The Story So Far, a poppier Rise Against

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums